“Quaint little getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Siesta Key Bungalows
Cleveland, Ohio
“Quaint little getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

We completely enjoyed this place! Almost afraid to even write a post since we would love to keep this little secret all to ourselves!!! The pool was great! Added bonus having the kayaks. My Hubby and I took full advantage and went for a peaceful cruise down the lagoon. We were able to take in all of the sights and sounds. The place was clean and peaceful. we can't say enough about the staff. Tim and Yvonne, you are amazing people! we felt like part of your family! It was such a great place and we are already planning our next trip! We also loved your doggies! Especially that cute St. Bernard, Megs or was it Mags??? Either way she was such a docile creature! Very nice that pets are allowed. Thanks for everything and we'll be back! Todd and Shawnna Moore

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shawnnamoore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Toledo, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

It was our third year at the Bungalow and we booked again for next year! Yes, it is an older property, but the peaceful surroundings will overshadow the age as renovations continue each year. Tim and Yvonne are great hosts - they leave you alone if you want but are there if there is a problem. And the dogs are friendly as well as Ringo the cat. Each bungalow is furnished differently, though, so you don't know what to expect in terms of the kitchen utensils, but you adapt!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NativeOhioan
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

My husband recently book a bungalow for the first time. Normally stay in highrise hotals but thought we would try somethimg different. Upon erentering the beautiful courtyard area, we were mesmerized. We were delighted we our little bungalow. We had all of the convenieneces of home and were very comfortable. We found a peaceful place that looks so " Florida like" with such lovely palm trees and flowers. We had a wonderful time, slept the best that we had in long time! We will highly recommend Siesta Key Bungalows to all our friends. Thank you Tim & Yvonne for beimg such graciouc hosts. We look forward to return in June.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ibcruisequeen
Ferndale, MI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

Exact email sent to the owners of Siesta Key Bungalows:

The purpose of this email is to make you aware of my disappointment in our stay at Siesta Key Bungalows 2/27 and 2/28. The reason why I did not let you know of this problem is that I knew that there would be no proper resolution to this problem while we were there, and that I was so disappointed and furious that I would have been too emotional in expressing this face to face.

I booked the Ringling Bungalow online, with confirmation that we would be in the Ringling Bungalow. The Ringling Bungalow was the only bungalow that I wanted to stay at. The reason being is that it reminded me of the first time my boyfriend and I took a vacation, a trip to FL, the decoration, on the water, etc. Also, we came down to FL this time specifically for my boyfriend's birthday, I take him somewhere romantic every year. My expectation was that our bungalow would be private and romantic.

So we headed to FL expecting a bungalow with a balcony on the water where would could chat and have morning coffee, sentimental decoration, private, romantic, and a comfy bed where we could snuggle and watch movies. Instead, we arrive, and are nonchalantly told that- welcome, and oh yeah- we moved you to the mermaid bungalow. Being openminded, I walked in to check it out. It was in the highest traffic area on the grounds, with a view over the pool, which is not impressive at all. I had my boyfriend go ask why we were switched, and we were told that the French Canadians in Ringling decided to stay longer, and since we were only staying 2 nights, we were moved to Mermaid. To top it off, my boyfriend had no idea what I paid for the bungalow, and she said "we moved you to Mermaid which should be more than the $319 a night the the Ringling goes for, at no extra cost." I didn't pay $319, but that is besides the point. Just an aside, I paid less for an amazing place in Carmel, CA at Tickle Pink Inn. Check it out for comparison sake. Your jaw will drop at the difference.

By this time, I had already burst into tears and needed a moment alone to try to make the best of my extreme disappointment. What could I do? The only way I would be happy is to have what I originally paid for and expected, and I wasn't about to make a huge issue to the point of possibly inconveniencing someone elses vacation- kicking the French Canadians out of Ringling.

All I wanted was not be at Siesta Key Bungalows. We immediately left for sunset and to have dinner. When we came back, we tried to lay on the bed to watch movies- which looked comfortable- but we both sank into the middle. My boyfriend took a shower and the the tub didn't drain. He had to take a shower in standing water. I spent most of the night trying to climb out of the sunken middle and balance on the edge of the bed so my back wasn't a wreck.

I read a review of the cleanliness of the bungalows and the reviewer was less than impressed, and I feel the same. The walls were dirty, the bathroom was dingy, and there was garbage from previous guests on top of a cabinet near the kitchen. You need to get a new maid if you are paying her for cleaning.

In the morning, I was awoken my some guest at 8am sitting at the one of the tables pool side screaming into her cell phone. So I decided to get up, so we could get out of there and make the most of our day. I definitely teared up at breakfast with the disappointment of our stay in Mermaid. Although, before we headed to play tennis and the beach, it was nice to see the French Canadians enjoying their coffee overlooking the lagoon.

We were sure to be away until we came home and passed out. In the morning, I called for a late check out, and instead of 11, we were allowed to check out at 11:30. Thanks for that.

We never got a chance to enjoy the kayaks or the lagoon. With the way our stay was going the kayaks probably would have leaked and would would have sunk into Heron Lagoon!!

If I knew that the change of bungalow was even a slight possibility, I would have most definitely stayed somewhere else- like Turtle Beach Resort.

As a result, I want to inform you that I will be disputing the second charge to my credit card, as I didn't receive what I had paid for. I will also be posting this exact email on TripAdvisor.com to inform future potential guests.

I seriously have had better stays at the Days Inn. No joke.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
22 Thank hdanna
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

I have travelled all over Florida and stayed at many different places - hotels, motels, time shares, etc. and without a doubt, Siesta Key Bungalows was one of my most memorable trips. I had to find somewhere for both relaxing.... and getting some work done... and Siesta Key Bungalows was PERFECT in every way! Not only was the location quiet, beautiful, clean and cozy, but the service was EXCEPTIONAL. Tim and Yvonne were absolutely wonderful hosts - so kind and over the top with accommodating my needs. Thank you so much to you both! Jill

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Deerfield Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

When I found the site after doing a loooot of search online, I chose Siesta Key because of the promotion they were running that weekend... I looked at the photos and thought it was "alright" for the price... Upon arriving, I was blown away! HOW PRETTY it was! We arrived past office hours, but there was a key box with a welcome note and obviously our key! We were greeted by the friendly cat who somewhat "walked"along with us to our bungalow. We stayed at TORTUGA. What a romantic bungalow. The inside decoration was great, and it made us feel like we were DEFINITELY in a beach house. ps: the mattress is better than the one we have home, aaaw! There was a porch, a huge porch where we hung out, had wine and talked overlooking the water! MAGNIFICENT, thats what I have to say about my stay. Yvonne, the owner was really sweet and met with me the next day, just to say hello and welcome us. The location is great too, its by a very "rich" area, and minutes from the gorgeous pbeaches! Looking forward to stayin there again. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tati-Igor
Orlando, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

My wife and I discovered Siesta Key Bungalows through a random Internet search in 2008. We were looking for a quiet place to spend a few days near Christmas, but as soon as we laid eyes on SKB we knew we'd found our new second home. Since our first visit we've been back numerous times, and even had our wedding there in December 2009. I'm a professional travel writer, so we've stayed in some of the best hotels and resorts in the country, but we keep coming back to SKB time and time again. Here's a few reasons why:

Location: We live in Orlando, so when we need a break from crowds and roller-coasters, Siesta Key is our favorite escape. The entire island seems trapped in a time-warp from 1963, in the most wonderful way. SKB itself is on the quiet end of the island, overlooking a placid lagoon, and a short way from the rarely-crowded Turtle Beach. The commercial center of Siesta Key is a short drive or long bike ride away (don't miss Siesta Key Oyster Bar and the used bookstore). Don't forget to drive into Sarasota to see the world-famous Jungle Gardes, Florida's original animal theme park.

Amenities: SKB's architecture is best described as “mid-century mod shabby-chic.” That means, if you're looking for polished marble floors and fancy furnishings, go elsewhere. SKB's charming bungalows are like the perfect little beachcomber shacks you always dreamed of living in, a place you can truly relax and feel at home in. The beds are all tall and very comfortable, the kitchens are cozy but fully-functional with all the essential supplies, and each unit has it's own unique layout and décor. The property is properly maintained (in a casual old-Florida style) and features a scenic wooden dock from which you can kayak down the lovely lagoon, and an in-ground pool with nifty nighttime lighting. There's even a rack of bicycles you can borrow to pedal into town.

Staff: The reason we keep coming back, and bringing our friends and family with us, is the warm reception we always get from Tim and Yvonne, the live-in proprietors of SKB. From our first meeting they've treated us like family and made us feel at home. When we had our wedding there, they were very flexible and cooperative with all our requests, allowing us to hang decorations, play music, use their grill, etc. And they were always kind and respectful towards our very diverse group of guests.

FYI, the owners keep a couple of dogs in their home, but they are so quiet and well-controlled that we didn't even know they were there until we'd stayed several times. We bring our cats with us too, and have never had a problem.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Siesta Beach Resort & Suites
#12 of 12 in Siesta Key
Hibiscus Suites - Sarasota / Siesta Key
Hyatt Siesta Key Beach Resort, A Hyatt Residence Club

Been to Siesta Key Bungalows? Share your experiences!