“Never, ever!”
Review of Senor Siesta - CLOSED

Senor Siesta
Cuisines: Latin, South American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Open DAILY for LUNCH and DINNER. (Kitchen closes 3-5PM) Latin "Grab and Go" Street Food and Craft Beer at its finest. Ask which beer goes best with each entree. Specialties include "Design Your Own" CEVICHE and TACOS and "Choose Your Ingredients" Latin WOK Stir Fry CHIFA. Chef Specials include Sirloin Burger on Rosemary Bun, Skirt Steak and Eggs. Draft and can Craft Beers. Eat In, Carry Out, or have delivered on the Key.
CT, USA
“Never, ever!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Based on the reviews I had to try this place.But my wife and I never encountered anything like this before. The place is tiny, T-I-N-Y. Luckily it was also E-M-P-T-Y, except for a Family that was seated outside.
The menu is interesting, Bernie my server was excellent, he recommended the Coca-Cola infused ribs for an appetizer, we placed our order and then.. We could hear someone in the kitchen swearing profusely, The F-Bombs were flowing, I wasn't sure what to do! We already had our drinks and the appetizer (which was terrible). It was a scary situation, the swearing continued right through our meal, ( We believe it was the Cook) Bernie apologized but all we could do was pay the bill and get out. I can't really rate the meal other than to say The appetizer was so dry and tasteless @ $8.00 I wished I had complained, but I was too Frightened that the cook would come out and I wasn't interested in combat. It was an experience we won't soon forget.

• Visited April 2014
7 Thank GIZZMOCt_Usa

Sarasota, FL
“Authentic, fresh and personal”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Came here for my mom's birthday. We all had a great time. Staff was attentive and my mom said it was the best Sangria she's ever had in her life. We sat outside. Atmosphere was really cozy. My dad's dish came undercooked and within minutes we had an apology and a huge portion, properly cooked, that replaced it. Loved it. So nice to get "real food" ...you can really sense the care that went into it.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank sarasota960
Orlando, Florida
“It's OK”
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

I came here based solely on reviews I read online from Trip Advisor and being how it's in the top 5 restaurants to visit in Siesta Key I had high expectations for this place. However, with this review I want to give others a better understanding of Señor siesta; the food was delicious without a doubt. The downfall is that it's a tiny place, definitely a "hole in the wall". The inside dining area is so small and compact that you would rather sit outside just to enjoy yourself more. I also found the prices to be rather high for what it is. We are talking about $18-23 a plate and the serving sizes are average. The food was good but I don't think I'll come back here due to the prices, it doesn't compensate for what they have to offer.

3 Thank Nessapink88
SenorSiestaSrq, General Manager at Senor Siesta, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
We are flattered by your opinion that our “food was delicious without a doubt”. We find the rest of what you say to be a little over the top and we are disappointed that you felt obligated to "dis" not one but two small and highly rated Siesta Key restaurants. Yes, we are a tiny restaurant—we can seat 20 inside and a little more than 20 outside. You can see this from the outside. We do not suggest nor has any previous reviewer purported otherwise. We try to compensate for our small size with big flavor and uniqueness. Our entrees, other than Paella, range from $14-$22 not $18-$23 as you suggest. Our Paella, at $29, is our loss leader (our food cost to price is nearly70%); you simply cannot find comparable Paella priced lower than at Senor Siesta. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, we offer couples a free bottle of Spanish or South American wine or Sangria with their Paella.
We make everything (except our wine and beer and ice cream) from scratch. Nothing from a bottle or prepackaged from food distributors—we mince fresh parsley and garlic for our Chimichuri every morning and use Spanish saffron in our beurre blanc every afternoon. As for portion size, nearly half our guests take home something and we feel this is a real complement. We use only the best available ingredients and our mark-ups, as a matter of fact, are the lowest on Siesta Key.
Slinger, Wi
“Not Your Run of the Mill Mexican”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband and I dined there on April 6, 2014, We had wanted to sit outside, but when we arrived, all of the outside tables were filled, We ate inside and loved it. The ambiance inside was a delight. We had the empanadas (beef) and the black bean soup as our appetizers. The Cuban bread served with our appetizers was good too. Yum! I chose the salmon and my husband had the Mahi Mahi. Both were done to perfection, We finished our meals with the flan ( which we shared). It couldn't have been more enjoyable. We will be returning.

• Visited April 2014
SenorSiestaSrq, General Manager at Senor Siesta, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
We are happy you enjoyed your visit and the food at Senor Siesta. And thanks for your comments on indoor seating—we don’t have a lot of seating space but we want our customers to feel like they are coming into our home. As you experienced, our menu is focused primarily on Spain, South America, and Cuba with certain items from Central America and the Caribbean. While we don’t have any Mexican cuisine on our menu at present, in the colder months from time to time the chef will make Albondigas which is a traditional Mexican meatball soup. Truth be told…we do use Mexican Coca Cola in marinating our ribs which we are currently offering as an appetizer.
“The best meal of our vacation”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We are so happy that we tried señor siesta's! This was a real treat in Latin cuisine. The proprietor was so enjoyable to talk to and she has many terrific recipes. We tried a variety of menu items and found them all to be prepared with great care by the excellent chef and a delight to enjoy. We especially enjoyed the beef and chicken empanadas, quinoa croquettas, flank steak with plantains and coconut rice and both the caramel/coconut flan and the tres leches cake. They were so accommodating to our kids and are very willing to alter the spices for picky eaters! They don't have a children's menu but quickly offered to make chicken fingers and fries for my 10 year old son. The sangria is delicious , pink lemonade the best around and we found to our delight that this is the only restaurant on the island where you can get a Dr Pepper! I only wish we were able to have stayed on the island longer to have been back a second time. Well worth the money spent for a top notch experience and meal.

SenorSiestaSrq, General Manager at Senor Siesta, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for the kind words. We are quite happy you enjoyed your visit. Interesting that you so liked the pink lemonade. The chef first conjured up this recipe (not really Latin at all…), using freshly squeezed limes, raspberry and cranberry juices, and lemonade to concoct a memorable “pink lemonade” in October for Breast Cancer Awareness month when Senor Siesta went “pink” with its menu and offered this drink along with a souvenir breast cancer awareness plastic tumbler. That month, $1 in $8 of all Senor Siesta receipts went to Breast Cancer Awareness in recognition of the fact that 1 in 8 women in the United States will be diagnosed with some form of breast cancer during their lifetimes. We also featured Daniela Romo’s music, one of the Latin “luchadoras” featured on the cover of People Magazine in October. The chef has been a huge fan of Daniela for years. She is a survivor of breast cancer and her music continues to play at Senor Siesta. We are happy to support this cause and happy to continue offering the pink lemonade as many guests have encouraged us to do so.