“Good meal, okay service”
Review of The Lobster Pot

The Lobster Pot
Ranked #19 of 43 Restaurants in Siesta Key
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on Siesta Key in beautiful Sarasota, we bring you the finest tastes of New England. Enjoy a delightful dining experience in our main dining room or our patio. As winners of "Taste of Sarasota," we still carry on the New England tradition of excellence. While here we hope you'll enjoy your "Old Cape Cod" and Florida dining experience! We purchase fresh seafood daily from only the finest fisherman in our native areas and also Florida. All of our live lobsters are from Bar Harbor and Boothbay Maine. While specializing in New England seafood and of course lobster, we also offer local seafood, steaks, chops, chicken, pasta and salads. Several of our recipes have been passed down from the owner’s family including our award winning signature baked stuffed lobster duchess, which is oven-baked Maine lobster stuffed with chunky seafood. Also using family recipes are our terrific homemade soups, including lobster bisque, New England clam chowder and the wonderful Portuguese kale soup.
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We went for dinner midweek during our most recent vacation to Siesta Key. This is our third year back to the island and our first trip to the Lobster Pot.

Pretty busy but seated immediately. Definitely a cramped environment so not the best for a romantic night out.

We weren't quite sure what we wanted to eat and the server didn't have much to say when we asked for recommendations. She did answer specific questions when I asked what composed particular dishes. She refilled my water once before our meals came out and didn't see her much after that. I ended up drinking my fiance's water.

As for the food:
My fiance ordered a bowl of the lobster bisque. He said it was alright although it did need some seasoning as it was a tad bland.
For dinner I got a filet mignon and lobster tail. Filet was cooked perfectly but also needed some seasoning prior to cooking. Lobster tail was good. My fiance ordered the "Lazy Duchess" (which is a casserole type dish with lobster, scallops, breading and some other things). He thoroughly enjoyed that. Our sides of mashed potatoes, cole slaw and beans were also tasty.

Overall, it was a decent dinner, although a little pricey. We will for sure be returning to Siesta Key, but will likely check out other seafood restaurants in the area. In the same price point, there are sure to be other restaurants with comparable food but better ambiance and service.

I do have to say a special thank you to the hostess who chased us down the street to return our umbrellas. She was very friendly upon our arrival and really went above and beyond with chasing us!

LOBSTERPOT5157, Owner at The Lobster Pot, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thanks for giving us a try and taking the time to write a review. It's nice to hear you enjoyed your meals—tasty, well prepared food is what we're all about—but I'm sorry you weren't more impressed with your overall experience. That being said, I appreciate the honest feedback. I'll have a word with my team about being more attentive. (We don't want anyone to go without a full water glass for most of their meal.) I'll also give your compliments to our hostess. She'll be thrilled to hear them.

Thanks again for your candid review. If you're ever up for giving us another shot the next time you're in town, we'd love to have you back.

Best,

Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Horrible clam chowder, over cooked scallops and a dark, dirty environment. Nothing about this restaurant resembles anything close to good seafood, it is terrible. My wife and I are from New Englandvand yes, we know good sea food and trust me, this place does NOT serve it. And, to add further insult to patrons, their prices are rediculous, especially for the poor quality of their food. My wife and I will never go back and we will advise all to save their money and go elsewhere.

11  Thank Jr00123
LOBSTERPOT5157, Owner at The Lobster Pot, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

I'm sorry to hear you and your wife had such a subpar experience. Naturally, since we pride ourselves on serving authentic New England-style seafood, it's disappointing that you thought we missed the mark. Still, I appreciate your honest feedback. Without constructive criticism, we'd never be able to improve.

If you want to discuss your experience in more detail, please give me a call at (941) 349-2323.

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Good food but crowded. The ceiling literally was crumbling down on my son's back as we ate. No harm, but you think they would have apologized or taken some off of our bill. Instead, the waiter told an older gentleman (owner? manager?) and he said, "I need to be calling a roofer."

1  Thank mitomom
LOBSTERPOT5157, Owner at The Lobster Pot, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Although I'm happy to hear your meal hit the spot, I'm so sorry our ceiling situation detracted from your experience. I know it's a bit late, but I hope you'll accept my apology. This is a truly freak incident, and it will never happen again.

Thanks for bringing the matter to my attention. If you're ever in the mood to give us a second chance, we'd love to have you back.

All the best,

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

First time we have tried this place. Good food, nothing particular stood out. When asking about certain items like avocado that was supposed to be on my nacho we were told they were out. other than that I would recommend The Lobster Pot. Our service was great and we were there around lunch and it was slow so we had plenty of room for our big party. We'll be back & next time I'll try the seafood.

LOBSTERPOT5157, Owner at The Lobster Pot, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thanks for stopping by. I'm sorry we were out of avocado when you visited—this doesn't happen often—but I'm glad your meal still hit the spot. Definitely let me know what you think of our seafood after you try it!

Have a good one,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was my first visit here having been to Siesta several time. The food was alright. I felt it was a little overpriced when taking portions into consideration. But the food was well cooked and tasted great. We a nice window seat though which was nice, I wish they had outdoor seating because the place was cramped. The valet parking was nice,

1  Thank Oregonmike98

Thanks for trying us out. It's nice to hear you enjoyed your meal—impressing our guests with expertly prepared food is our main goal. I'm sorry you found us a bit expensive, though. When setting our prices, we have to factor in the quality of our ingredients. Hopefully, the next time you're back in Siesta, you'll give us another shot. We'd love the chance to show you a 5-star experience.

All the best,