“Unbelievably Poor Customer Service”
Review of The Palm Bay Club

The Palm Bay Club
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I'll preface this review by saying that I wasn't an actual guest of the hotel this July 4th. We had some family in town that were staying at the Palm Bay Club and were invited to spend the day at the hotel and adjoining beach with them. They were given two guest parking passes for the day which were given to two other family members, so I knew that we'd need to park elsewhere in order to visit. Fine - no problem. I understand that it's a holiday and parking is limited. However, when we arrived and hoped to pull in to drop our beach stuff off with our family, we were rudely stopped by a man on a golf cart. I told him that we weren't planning on staying, just dropping a few things off. He, in a raised voice, said "I don't care. You can't come through here. Turn around!". I asked why I couldn't just pull through and drop off some things and come right back. He raised his voice again and said "Turn around!". I was taken aback by how I was just talked to. When I went into the office to plead my case (and drag my toddler out of the car in the process), I was told I could go ahead through the property. Once I moved through the property and came to the turn around, I pulled off to the side and started to unload items to my waiting family members (guests at the hotel). Just then, a man on a golf cart ("security") came and told me that I couldn't park there. I told him I wasn't parking, I was just unloading some things and then I'll move (my motor was still running, trunk open, actively moving items - all pretty good signs that I'm not "parked" I'd say). He then proceeded to raise his voice and told me I needed to move my car NOW. I asked him what his problem was and he responded "what's YOUR problem" in a very loud and threatening voice - in front of my child and family. Needless to say, I stopped unloading my car, told my family that I was sorry but I was not about to stay there another second and left. Good job dude, you yelled at a pregnant lady with a kid. You're doing a great job.

Look, I get it. It's the 4th of July and people are always going to try to take advantage of beach front property to suit their parking needs. But when someone is a visitor of guests at your hotel, have explicitly stated they are NOT trying to park at your "private" club, and they are treated in such an abusive and disrespectful manner - there is no excuse. I am a local - have lived here all of my life. I have plenty of family and friends that like to visit. You can bet that I will be sure to let them know to NEVER stay at this hotel. Any hotel that treats anyone like that does not deserve any business, if you ask me.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Yarutsi1014
Shawna F, Manager at The Palm Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

I am sorry to hear you had a negative encounter with one of our security staff. We expect all our staff to treat each and every person with the upmost respect. However, our security staff is hired to patrol the property to make the stay enjoyable and safe for all of our guests. Now and again, especially during sold out holiday weekends such as July 4th, we do have to be strict and make sure that all of our guests and visitors are following the rules set in place. We only have a limited number of parking spaces and due to the reputation of PBC, many non-guests and local residents attempt to park at our property due to the close proximity of the beach. In the past, we have had many incidences where people say they are only driving down to drop off coolers or guests and then instead park. This leaves no parking for our paying guests and their visitors. The only way to stop this is to not allow anyone without a pass through the “gate”. This should obviously be accomplished with respect and professionalism toward all guests at all times. Once again, I am sorry to hear you were treated disrespectfully and I will speak with our security staff. Being local, I hope you try our resort again- maybe during the off season when it is much quieter.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were accompanying family staying at the club and were treated very poorly. The "security" staff were very rude and confrontational, and acted in this manner directly in front of my small children. So much so, that my nine year old who witnessed the encounter, stated "that man was really disrespectful to you mom" after we walked away. Any establishment that employes staff who have that level of disrespect for another human being should be ashamed! Having lived in Sarasota for 32 years, I would urge anyone looking for a place to stay on Siesta Key to look elsewhere.

Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank funmomFlorida

I am sorry to hear you had a negative encounter with one of our security staff. We expect all our staff to treat each and every person with the upmost respect. However, our security staff is hired to patrol the property to make the stay enjoyable and safe for all of our guests. Now and again, especially during sold out holiday weekends such as July 4th, we do have to be strict and make sure that all of our guests and visitors are following the rules set in place. This should obviously be accomplished with respect and professionalism toward all guests at all times. Once again, I am sorry to hear you were treated disrespectfully and I will speak with our security staff. Being local, I hope you try our resort again- maybe during the off season when it is much quieter.

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Top Reasons to Avoid the Palm Bay Club

1. Staff are rude. The only pleasant person on staff was security guard at check-in. I have never checked out of a resort and NOT been asked how my stay was. Wow. The staff are simply indifferent.

2. Very run down for what you must pay. Elevator broken off and on our entire visit. Handle broken off faucet for washing feet leaving beach. No one attempted to fix our entire stay.

3. You have to wade through two feet of soured rain water to get to beach. No attempt to pump it out our entire stay.

4. No balcony or covered seating areas (that aren't in two feet of water after a rain). No real place to shelter or enjoy during rain storm.

5. They advertised a workout room. It is actually a small closet in the restroom with an elliptical machine and treadmill. No free weights at all.

6. Security allows obscene music to be played at pool. Not suitable for children. Heaven forbid asking a staff member to intervene.

7. Only way to walk to office/pool is via narrow street. Have to dodge workers in golf carts who seem to enjoy driving dangerously close to pedestrians. Pool is not convenient and is really outdated. No located where people are encouraged to congregate. They advertise two pools but the second one is tiny and outdated.

8. Tried to get wireless fixed in the room to no avail. Again, complete indifference by staff. Really needed the connection fixed to meet a deadline.

We will not be returning. We simply enjoy Destin/Fort Walton area better. Much better value. Better restaurant choices as well. Cleaner beaches.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank JaceMan1970
Shawna F, Manager at The Palm Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

I am sad to read you did not enjoy your stat here at the Palm Bay Club.
Due to turtle season, we are only allowed to rack the beach on certain days after first receiving clearance from a Mote Employee. We follow the state laws regarding turtle season procedure and obtain our permit on an annual basis just be allowed to rack.
Both of our pools have recently been renovated and the new brick pavers that extend from the beach to the Intercostal Waterway were put in just a few years back. Our recreation room was just remodel last year and the fitness center and bathroom remodel are being discussed.
An elevator was down during your stay, and we do apologize. We called to have it repaired as soon as it went down and the 2nd elevator in the building was up and running at the time. Unfortunately, things do break, but we do our best to get them repaired as soon as possible. We were unaware of the broken handle for the shower beach but after reading your review have already ordered and replaced the part.
Once again, sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We will miss having you as a guest at our resort.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Rented 044 in the tower and it was wonderful. The unit was updated, very nicely decorated and clean. The view of the ocean from the living room was nice. The kitchen was stocked extremely well (even sharp knives), with the exception of a small saucepan. Floors were tile and wood which makes so much more sense than carpet. Easy to use the steps in lieu of elevator as they were close. My only complaint is the dining room table is on the porch and it is not air conditioned so not useful in summer months. There are bar stools where you can eat indoors. Front desk staff were very nice. Convenient to beach and short walk to pool. Would definitely stay at this unit again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Shawna F, Manager at The Palm Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Unit 044 is new to our rental program and very popular! I will look into the dining room table being on the patio and see if there is some rearranging we can do so the table is in a more practicable atmosphere. Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We look forward to having you as our guests again soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the Palm Bay Club. The accommodations were fabulous. Our room (#156) was clean, quiet, well stocked with necessities and very comfortable. Thank you so much for making our trip enjoyable! When the time comes to return to Sarasota we will definitely choose The Palm Bay Club.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank azgirl584

Making sure your vacation is your home away from home is what we are here to do! So glad to hear yours was enjoyable and the unit was clean and well stocked. Looking forward to having you back again... sooner than later!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I can't begin to explain how much we loved our time at the Palm Bay Club. We stayed in Unit 334 on the Bayside and I couldn't have picked a better unit. The kitchen was nicer than mine at home--remodeled with granite counter tops and the same deep sink and faucet! We were all very pleasantly surprised at the quality of 334. It was like we were staying at our own beach condo!

We went down with another couple and found that the bayside was the best place to be. It more quiet than the tower and the pool and hot tub over looking the bay was our favorite spot! Grab some drinks and some fresh seafood to grill and relax in the hot tub at sunset, what more could you want on vacation? Our rooms were well decorated and the whole unit was very comfortable and clean. We loved the patio furniture the owner's provided and waking up to watch the sun come in over the Bay from our balcony was so beautiful.

The little village has great restaurants and the free shuttle bike service is awesome, especially after a long day at the beach. We will definitely be coming back to the island and I can't wait to come with the family! It was the perfect trip with friends and I know our families will love it too.

Room Tip: The Bayside Unit 334 was fabulous! The owners clearly maintain and take pride in their complex: comf...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay – and unit – here at The Palm Bay Club. The unit owners have done a great job remodeling their unit and the Bayside suites in general do offer the most serene environment to relax in. The village is nicely located just a little over a mile away and there are many bike shuttles that will pick you up for just a few dollar tip. We look forward to seeing you – and the rest of your family – soon!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I hesitate to write this review, because I don't want our "little secret" to get out! My husband and I had a much needed, long overdue "romantic getaway." We have been going to Siesta Key for years, as we used to live in Sarasota, but we have never found a place to stay where we wanted to return, again. Until we stayed at The Palm Bay Club, June 8-15, that is. Perfect location, beautiful condo and friendly front desk staff. We stayed in the Grand Tower in unit 116. If you are looking for a couples-only unit, this is it. It has recently been renovated, and they overlooked nothing. This unit is beautifully appointed. We were granted an early checkin, but the front desk called us to tell us that they forgot that the realtor was showing it to potential new buyers, so we ran errands before unpacking. I certainly hope that the new buyers keep this unit on the rental program, as I would love to return here, annually, with my husband! I could live here, if there were only one more bedroom for our daughter! (But since it was a romantic getaway, it was perfect for just the two of us!) The bed was so comfortable; I wish I had thought to look to see what brand it was, because we slept better there than we have in months! There are beach towels provided for you which was also a plus. The amenities in this particular unit were nicer than many upscale hotels where we have stayed, in that they were all so beautiful. You do have to keep in mind that you have to supply your own dish detergent for the dishwasher and coffee filters for the coffeemaker - but next time we will remember to pack our own. This particular unit does not have an ocean view, which is the only thing that would make this unit "Perfect" perfect. The city view is still quite nice, and the location is fabulous. The covered parking is very nice and I just cannot find anything bad to say about The Palm Bay Club. The only "bad" thing I could say ... was that we had to leave. It is so nice to find a place to stay and want to return, and we plan on doing so before school starts back, so we can bring our daughter and her best friend. If you stay at the Palm Bay Club, you will not be disappointed. The staff was working hard, every day, to keep this building clean. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Cannot WAIT to return!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a romantic getaway, you need to book The Grand Tower Unit 116.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Shawna F, Manager at The Palm Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

The owner of unit 116 is going to be so pleased to read this. He spent so much time making this unit perfect for their renters and he is always asking if they had any feedback. The unit really is magnificent and I am glad that Palm Bay Club was able to provide you the location to have the perfect romantic getaway. I am sorry about the mix up at check in; I am personally responsible as I knew they had a 1pm showing and didn’t make myself a note. We try our best to have units ready as soon as possible so if a guest checks in early we are able to hand over keys. Again- sorry for the confusion and thank you for being so understanding. I did do a little research for you and the brand of the bed is a Sherwood Lumina Luxury Bedding Spirit. Maybe you can do some mattress shopping for your home soon. If not, we also hope if the unit sells the new owners will keep this unit on our rental program so you are able to enjoy our property ( and unit 116) year after year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Siesta Key
Best Western Plus Siesta Key Gateway
Siesta Beach Resort & Suites
Siesta Beach Resort & Suites
#12 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to The Palm Bay Club? Share your experiences!