“A bit inconsistent, but usually good”

Javier's Restaurant and Wine Bar
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We have been to Javiers a number of times, and the food isn't always consistent. The last visit was las week. My husband had something paella-ish (can't remember the name), which he thought was just so-so. I had the Caesars salad, which was very good, and the grilled scallops, which were done to perfection. So things can be rather inconsistent. We have had the ribs, and usually, they are very good indeed. I've never found the tapas menu very good and would not recommend it for the price. The service is usually excellent (Debby), and aside from the tapas menu, the menu is fairly reasonably priced for the area. The hospitality is generally good.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

The other evening my husband and I went to Javier's on Siesta Key, Fl.
It is somewhat hidden away in a nondescript plaza.
Well, our choice could not have been better.
The food was delicious and the service warm, attentive and knowledgable.
DO NOT miss this experience!

Reviewed June 29, 2011

We dined there last night. It is advertised as Peruvian/American cuisine. The place is nicely decorated and our waitress (debbie) was excellent.The food wasn't. I had the 24$ tapa special . For the first appetizer I had empanadas with beef picadillo. I had to send mine back because it was severely burnt ...it was exchanged without a problem but wasn,t very tasty anyway. I had a nice soup with chicken peanuts and coconut...this was the best thing I had. My main course was ribs...they were tasty but the portion was small and they were no better than any bar-b-que chain. My wife had shrimp margarita and she didnt like it much either..funny flavor.
The place is ok but as it was rated #1 in Siesta key I think it will steer many folks in the wrong direction. BTW the reason we went there is because we love chicha morada which is a corn drink common to every Peruvian restaurant we have been to. They did not have it.

Reviewed June 17, 2011

we went to Javier's on our first night on vacation in siesta key. The food was absolutely stunning from the first course lthrough dessert, we loved it all. we watched Javier make our caesar salad and he did so with such concern of the product. all the courses were made from food of the highest quality. I would recommend this place to anyone who is on vacation to that area and to any local who has not eaten here yet. it was pricey but totally worth it. Put this restaurant on the list of must eats.

Reviewed June 15, 2011

We decided on short notice to take a three day vacation on Siesta Key. I had read several restaurant reviews on trip advisor before we arrived and Javier's was one of a handful that I had marked as possibilities. After having a disappointing dining experience on our first night, we noticed on our walk back to the resort that Javier's was right across the street in a strip mall.

After reading many positive reviews, I was hoping not to be disappointed. I am an adventurous diner, and I enjoy experiencing new flavors and cuisines, however, my partner is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, so I was a little concerned that he would not find anything to his liking. I had nothing to be concerned about our meals were delicious. We both selected the four course fixed price meal for a very reasonable $24. There were at least four appetizer choices, I selected a tuna ceviche which was perfectly prepared and presented and my partner selected picadillo empanadas which were crispy meaty morsels served with a savory pickled relish. The second course was soup or salad, I selected a spicy seafood soup and my partner the house salad, which was offered with a choice of several different dressings, both the soup and salad were excellent choices. Having enjoyed the bread and butter with our soup and salad, the only thing that we were becoming concerned about was if we would be able to have room for the main entree. We both selected the mojito chicken with grilled polenta, it was very good and we were so full we ended up taking our desserts (don't miss the desserts) to go.

There are several fine restaurants in Tampa, however, I know we will be taking another trip to Siesta Key to visit this little gem.

1  Thank cmjb48