“It is more than the sand, but ohhhhh my goodness that sand!”
Review of Siesta Beach

Siesta Beach
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Siesta Key
More attraction details
Owner description: Public swimming beach known for its clean, hard-packed sand.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“It is more than the sand, but ohhhhh my goodness that sand!”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I just returned yesterday from a 10 day visit to Siesta Key (Municipal) Beach. I've been going there for many years and each year I return I feel like a kid again. The sand is a spectacular fine white powder and so white it's cool to the feet even on the hottest sunny days. And the 40 acre stretch at the municipal beach is the softest, cleanest (because this stretch of the beach is raked overnight each day) part of the key

But there's more to it. Siesta Beach is the only beach on the key with professional lifeguards watching over everyone, especially so that they stay safe. It has a pavilion with food and rest rooms, and lots of sand volleyball courts. Just off the beach in the park are lots of picnic tables and grills, a ball field, tennis courts and a playground.

There are accommodations (condos, town homes) for rent all around the beach. Weekdays parking is easy. Weekends, it's harder so get their by 10:30 am to have a shot at beach parking, otherwise you park a block or two away.

Visited May 2011

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The beach made up for the parking!”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

This beach is the first beach that I've been to in the U.S. where I can put my hand under the water and still be able to see it. So I was very excited about that! The water was clear blue-green. It was almost like being in the caribbean. The sand...where do I begin! lol. The was white, powdery, and very cool to the touch, even after being under the hot sun all day. Although parking was a hastle (which only tells me that I need to make out there earlier in the day), Siesta Key beach and the gulf cost made up for it.

Visited May 2011
3 Thank fabi11210
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“First time in Florida!”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

It's a great free place to see! You better get there early to park! Only 800 parking spots they go fast!

“Lovely beach, terrible parking availability with rude individuals”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Sarasota is our newly purchased second home, but when we tried to take our two young children to the beach for the Sunday night drum session, a very rude car full of old enough to know better 30-something year olds, almost hit our vehicle whilevstealing the parking space we were backing into. We both had large SUVs and the other motorist nearly hit me while I was motioning my husband. Needless to say, we did not get to attend and my 5 and 2 yr olds cried the whole way home. Police should be there to compensate for people's lack of manners and driving ability!

Waterbury, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just in love with it!!!”
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Took me a while to believe that that "sand" was natural. It was an amazing feeling to walk in almost 100% pure quartz. The sunset was glorious! I'm "in love" with that beach, and other areas of Sarasota, to the point that I'm in the process of getting a second home there, so I can start enjoying it eventhough I'm a little over a decade away from retirement.

Visited February 2011