“Decent inexpensive stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shalimar
Jackson, Mississippi
“Decent inexpensive stay”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night April 29, 2011. The room was a decent size with very high ceilings. The AC did not work properly as it made noises and started blowing warm air. We left our room for a bit and when we returned, the issue was fixed. There was a noise coming from the vent in the bathroom as well. The hotel was clean and our room was clean as well. IMO, those issues were minor and were dealt with quickly. The staff was kind but not overly friendly as one reviewer stated. Overall, it's a decent hotel and if I had to stay here again, I would.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I spent two weeks here. For the most part, service was good. Some days housekeeping didn't replace my towels or bathmat and twice they left sheets laying on my table. Not sure if they were going to change my sheets and forgot. Most of the front desk staff is friendly, but some not so much. Breakfast was what I come to expect from Fairfield. Waffles, Jimmy Dean sandwiches (ATTN Food Orderer: there are different types of Jimmy Dean sandwiches. How about switching up once in a while?), fruit, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, etc. I wondered one night why road noise was a problem until I saw that my window wouldn't lock and wasn't closed properly. Daniela is a cutie. I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
New Hampshire
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We checked in to this hotel for a 3 night stay at the end of December. We booked here because we got a very good deal, not realizing how far it was from the action. The staff is fine, but I can't say they made an impression on me. No one was overly friendly. We stayed in a king room, which was extremely small. You could barely walk around the sides of the bed. The bathroom on the other hand, was very roomy. Go figure. No upgrades available despite our Marriott Platinum status. The room was clean upon arrival and the breakfast was sufficient. We weren't at the hotel much so I can't speak for the other amenities. Overall, if you need a cheap place to sleep this is fine, but if you are looking to be close to beaches, shopping, etc., I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank honeybee603
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I stayed 3 nights at the Fairfield Inn and Suites Dec 17,2011. My husband, son and I came for a wedding. I was not expecting much because I knew this was not a top tier Marriott property. The quality of the property was better than I anticipated. We walked into a nicely decorated lobby, up to date and spacious. The check in was smooth and everyone we encountered at the desk was helpful and pleasant and welcoming.
We stayed in a suite with 2 queen beds. The room was clean and spacious with two flat screen TV's and a nice work space. We were able to access the wifi easily and it was good quality. The bathroom was large and clean . Shower had good water pressure. I liked the small refrigerator and microwave included in the room.
There is bar close to the hotel and we did hear some noise early in the evening but nothing after 2100.
We did have breakfast in the breakfast room and I found it adequate. There were hard boiled eggs, cereal, juice, assorted breads/rolls, milk , yogurt, fruit , coffee and tea. The lady keeping care of the area was friendly, helpful and we took several of her recommendations of places to visit in the area.
We spent quite a bit of time on the base and this hotel was very convienent. I think we were about 10 min. from Eglin AFB. I liked that there was a CVS and Publix Supermarket very close to the hotel also. It was also an easy drive back to Destin.
I would stay at this property again in the future if I was in the area. Thank you for a well run, reasonably priced, family friendly place to stay .

Room Tip: Away from the bar next door.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here with family. Booked two non-smoking rooms. Given two rooms that smelled strongly of smoke. Had to change. Otherwise, a clean, comfortable property. Nice breakfast included. Handy to Eglin AFB but quite a way from the beach.

• Stayed November 2011
California, Maryland
Reviewed October 31, 2011

If you are looking for a no nonsense, pleasant place to stay, I could not give higher marks to this Fairfield Inn. It is convenient to the airport, restaurants nearby, and great, great customer service. One caution, there is an adjacent bar that has outside entertainment during the warmer months. The band stops at 10 PM so it is not a major impact to adult sleep schedules. In fact my room overlooked the stage, and I had not problems getting work done or watching TV. The front desk told me upfront that they would give me a room on the opposite side of the property if I thought the noise would be a problem. It was not. This place is great.

Room Tip: Had a nice little one room suite.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here three nights while visiting the beach in Destin. The hotel service was very kind to us. They gave a list of nice restaurants nearby. Our room was nice, maybe a bit noisy because of some singer performances in the back yard but it stopped before midnight so it wasn't annoying. Each day we got clean sheets, towels and shampoo. Breakfast was simple but okay, enough choice for us. We certainly would go back there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shalimar
TownePlace Suites Fort Walton Beach-Eglin AFB
TownePlace Suites Fort Walton Be...
#4 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfront
BEST WESTERN Ft. Walton Beachfro...
#2 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Wingate by Wyndham Destin
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Walt...
#3 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach
Comfort Suites At Eglin Air Force Base
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fort Walton Beach Northwest
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#13 of 29 in Fort Walton Beach

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Walton Beach-Eglin AFB? Share your experiences!