“First Class Hotel and Outstanding Service Too!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tampa East
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Seffner
Reviewed February 9, 2011

The property was clean and well kept but the difference to me was the staff. Everyone went out of their way to smile, speak to me and ask if there was anything they could do to make my stay better. This property could be a model for others that want to learn how to make their guests stay the best it can be!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ericw63
kennydhana, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tampa East, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2011

Dear Guest:

We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. And we are delighted to find that we met or exceed your expectation.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Thank you for your generous review. Be Our Guest whether in town for business or pleasure.

Reviewed February 8, 2011

Very good location for pre-cruise hotel, if you are driving. It was close and convenient with many great restaurants only 10 minutes away.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 34550Traveler

Reviewed January 12, 2011

I have reserved 2 rooms here every Thursday for 9 months. I called to make reservations and talked to DIMPLE. She told me that the hotel was almost booked but had 2 rooms available. I responded perfect I will take them... well... one was a suite for 125.00 and the other a hot tub room for 140ish. I'm on a corporate rate and am not allowed to exceed 80.00. I asked if she could do them for 80.00 each. She laughed and said no.. I asked what's so comical? She spoke of a hotel goer in front of her wanting one of the rooms and said that he wants to get one of the rooms she has offered me for 125.00 and he will sell me the room to me for 205.00. I said seriously DIMPLE?? Your laughing at me? I am a loyal customer. I have given you thousands of dollars and your not trying to accommodate me?!?! Seriously?!?! I hung up then called back immediately to speak with DIMPLE. I told her I couldn't believe how rudely I was being treated. She got immediately offensive and told me she couldn't kick out people to accommodate my needs.. I told her that she should have given me those rooms and by laughing at my inconvenience she has lost a weekly patron. I said I would be there week in and week out.. you know.. when they aren't busy.. DIMPLE should not be in charge of guest services. Horrible person working for a greedy owner.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank frogstomper
kennydhana, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tampa East, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2011

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your patronage, however we cannot always accomodate our guest without them making an advance reservation. The months of January, February, and March are traditionally considered as peak season for hotels in Florida, during which there are serveral weekdays and weekends when hotels are sold out completely due to events in town. I am sure you were aware of your travel plans ahead of time for the auto auction that you and your father visits twice a month. Without question, a reservation should have been made in advance and not mere couple of hours before you are due to arrive at the hotel. Hotel rates and availibility, much like airline seats and fares, will vary based on supply and demand, time of the year, etc.

The particular day in question, our hotel was boodked to near capacity, along with most hotels in the area. At the time you called our hotel, there were only 2 Suites available to sell, a Jacuzzi Suite and a Deluxe King Suite. We understand that in the past you and your father have always stayed in a Standard King guestrooms. When you called the hotel and spoke with Dimple to book your reservation, another guest was waiting in front of the desk with 2 Adults and his 3 children in need for one of the Suites that were available. Hotel guest service staff, because of your patronage, gave you a first preference over the gentleman standing at the desk and offered you the only option they had available the Jacuzzi Suite for $125 and the Deluxe King Suite for $135, however, you wanted my staff to book the Suites for the same price as the Standard King room that your are accustomed to staying in. Hotel staff waited for your final answer before they could offer that room to the gentleman waiting in front of them. At that point you decided to hang up the phone without making that reservation.

Sir let me give you a perfect example, much the same as going to a retail store to buy a 20 inch television, finding out that they are sold out and only have a 42" television set left on the shelf. The retail store could not sell the 42 inch television set to you for the same price as the 20 inch television that you are accustomed to buying, regardless of the number of 20 inch television sets you might have bought in the past from the same store.

We do apologize for your perceived insult and assure you that it was not intended that way. However, using foul language to my staff is not appreciated. Our customer service is based on mutual respect and thousands of our guests have appreciated that in the past. We are here to serve you however any type of abuse to my staff will not be tolerated. As for Dimple's attitude, she has been one of our star employee and has shown excellent customer service skills throughout her career with us, without any major complaints from our patrons.

Reviewed January 4, 2011

The staff was always curteous and helpful. I loved this hotel because of the great value it offered versus the low cost. They always had fresh coffee and tea available, along with cookies in the afternoons and evenings. The rooms were perfect with comfortable beds, along with microwave and mini fridge. What I liked least was that a truck stop was next door...however, I have to say that the location was excellent with Cracker Barrel, so close that you could walk there, along with easy access to both I-4 and I-75. Another plus was they had a business office where I could access my E-mail and print. Lastly, the breakfast bar was terrific.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
kennydhana, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tampa East, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2011

Reviewed December 28, 2010

From the friendly and helpful staff, to the cookies awaiting your return each evening to the great, diverse breakfast selections each morning, this hotel is great. My only complaint is that the beds were still a bit firm for my liking. But of all the things to complain about, that is it. There were extra pillows and blankets in the room already, the shower....oh, I miss that shower! It was great, the room was beautiful, and clean.
The staff was helpful, offering directions, ideas, and all sorts of smiles - you really feel that they care about you as a person. I will definitely be back!

Reviewed December 21, 2010

I love this clean hotel with friendly staffs: carolyn, Debbie. Home-made cookies and coffee are available 24 hours. We used the dining room to play card games and the staffs were laughing with us. Quite an experience. Very descent price with great room service. Breakfast is different everyday, very delicious.
Location very convenient for traveling because it's just 100 yards from I-4, CR-92. The only issue for you to consider is the noise since it's close to high-way and a truck rest area. I had no problem sleeping at this place.

Reviewed November 28, 2010

My family and extended family were registered at the hotel for the Thanksgiving holiday visiting a relative. In total we had reserved 5 rooms. From the first day our family had experienced poor communications and less than exceptional customer service from the General Manager and the Assistant Manager. Had we received the proper Customer Service due all patrons, our stay would have been very enjoyable as well as comfortable. We stayed 2 nights. The 2nd night we had not received cleaning services, and had reported it to the front desk. Our used towels were not picked up and replenished, our beds were not made, the trash was not taken out nor was the sink or bathroom freshened and tidied up. I spoke with the attending housekeeping personnel who was directly responsible for the cleaning of our room. When I told the woman at the front desk, her response was that the cleaning people do not speak English (however the woman wrote in English and acknowledged to me that she understood what my request was). Front desk had then advised that I had to speak with the General Manager and the Assistant for any resolution to the service we did not receive the next day. However, in the meantime and in between time, that would not have satisfied what we lacked that night since we were leaving the very next day, and would not benefit from that particular service. Needless to say, I left the desk with virtually no accommodations other than "talk to the day staff" , my husband had to come down to get fresh towels instead of someone having the initiative to come up personally and deliver them with a sincere apology for the inconvenience and lack of service we received.

However, the headliner isn't in that particular incident, it's what happened the next day that will raise your eyebrows! The very next day while I was preparing my breakfast in the breakfast room (the full complimentary breakfast was excellent) I noticed the General Manager. I went over to the front desk and discussed the problem. I told him that I was very disappointed that Housekeeping neglected our room, and since we were leaving that day what type of customer service policy or standard was in place to make up for that neglect. He said there was confusion because the staff cannot speak English, he made lots of excuses and refused to offer any accommodations for the inconvenience. He was agitated at first, and then defensive. The Assistant Manager also became defensive when faced with customer dissatisfaction. My husband who was standing by then began to talk with the General Manager and again he became defensive. When we told him that we would speak to the Corporate Offices regarding Customer Service Satisfaction the GM and AM became defensive and said that we were threatening them. The Assistant Manager raised her voice to me and said, "why are you talking, why don't you just call them!", this incident happened at the front lobby of the hotel in the midst of several patrons who witnessed the dispute. As I went into the breakfast room the GM went in first and the dispute continued in there and in front of everyone in the breakfast room the GM said to me with his hands clasped together, in a prayer like fashion, he said, "PLEASE, DO NOT COME BACK!". I said, really?! Are you serious?! Did you just tell a patron who's family has 5 ROOMS RESERVED with this hotel not to come back?! He then told me that he was going to call the police because we were threatening him. I asked him, in what way have we threatened him and when the police arrive what will he say? He said, "that we threatened him mentally".

After this very public display of unprofessional-ism, inhospitable behavior, lack of Exceptional Customer Service, to add more insult to injury, the GM and the Assistant Manager decided that they would call the police department to solve their in-house problems. While my family and I were waiting to be checked out, my nephew told us that the police had arrived. It was unbelievable! They called the police in retaliation! Why?! Because we informed them of our intention to contact Corporate Offices? A possible complaint with the Better Business Bureau? All consumers have the right to notify the appropriate authorities when they do not receive goods that a business claims to offer, whether that be in supplies or services. Clearly, we were within our rights, but to say that we were "threatening them" was misleading to the authorities.

Despite the efforts of this particular staff at this particular location, my family and I still rose above it, kissed one another good bye, and prayed for each others safe return home, the weapon formed that this staff tried to wield against us did not prosper. End result, after speaking with both parties, the police found no cause for involvement, talked with our party and received much input from many of our family members and apologized that our experience in their town was compromised. I thanked the officer for his apology, especially in light of not receiving it from the General Manager and Assistant Manager of this particular location. My hope is that the Corporate Offices will take note of this injustice and give us the Customer Service and accommodation that we desired from the staff at this location and at least try to redeem or restore our patronage in some way. This Management Team clearly has not read Carlson's Credo and purpose to 1) Customer focus - Dedicating ourselves to delivering experiences that delight our customers. 2) Accountability - Delivering on our performance commitments and taking responsibility for our actions and our own situation. 3) Responsibility - Ensuring that our actions deliver returns for our stakeholders while ensuring benefits to our employees, customers, owners, business partners and suppliers, as well as the environment and the communities in which we operate.

Hopefully, Carlson Corporate Offices will re-educate this particular staff and most importantly restore this consumer's confidence in their establishments and their franchisees.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank sweetwaterscove
kennydhana, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tampa East, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2010

Dear Guest:
Please accept this letter as an explanation of services that were rendering during your stay at our hotel, Country Inn and Suites in Seffner, Florida. You and your extended family checked in to 5 rooms booked through an online third-party travel website.
When booking into our hotel you were informed of the 3:00pm check-in time. Two of your reservation’s guests showed up at 7:30am to check into the hotel. Your party became upset because their rooms were not ready. In other circumstances this request could have possibly been honored, however this was a busy weekend for the hotel due to the holidays. This is a limited service hotel; the HK staff is not at our disposal 24 hours a day. The HK staff begins in the morning at 10am and is completed by 3pm in most cases. The website clearly states that special requests are subject to availability upon check-in and may incur additional charges. These special requests are not guaranteed.
As per the website we should charge $40.00 for early check-in. Neither of your parties was charged an early check in fee when they checked in approximately 10:30am. Between 7:30 and 10:30 am they were told they could enjoy our breakfast buffet while the room was being prepared at no additional charge. This courtesy was extended because you had booked 5 rooms.
Your mother, the registered guest for both rooms, came to our desk that evening with a demand to have a free rollaway bed; she was informed that we would physically check inventory to see if one was available. There was no indication on her reservation from the third party website that she needed this rollaway bed. We have limited quantities of certain amenities. During the weekend in question, Thanksgiving weekend, we did not have any left. Again as a courtesy we called one of our guests since he indicated that he may not have needed it for his mother. The guest returned our call and relinquished this rollaway bed for the benefit of your party.
To recap, since we were not privy to the conversation that took place between your party and the third-party travel website’s 800 number, we were not aware of any prior arrangement for a rollaway bed, furthermore there is a $10.00 charge per night for this amenity. The following rules are clearly displayed on the website that your reservations were booked with and states that the following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out. Early check-in is $40.00, Late check-out is $40.00, and Rollaway bed is $10.00 per night.
We are not obligated to honor a request by a third party for any amenity free of charge. As stated by your mother, she did not even speak to the hotel but instead the third-party travel website’s 1(800) #. We can’t reserve what we do not know about. It is standard practice throughout the industry to charge for rollaway beds. Your party was charged our standard fee.
Furthermore, the issue with our housekeeping department; firstly we are an equal opportunity employer. We hire staff regardless of race or language preference and comply with the industry standard. I would like to assure you that our HK staff work very hard to make our guest’s experience a memorable one. You were given the opportunity to have your room cleaned by both the housekeeper in charge of the floor and the management staff. When the towels were taken from the housekeeping staff the young lady was not sure what she should do. That is when the management staff knocked on the door and spoke to your mother, the primary registered guest. The managers were told by your mother, that further service was not necessary for the rooms and were told that clean towels were acquired from the HK staff and she did not need anything more. We can only do what we are told; there cannot be implications or insinuations. As for the evening staff, as stated before there is no full time housekeeping staff. After 3pm the HK staff leaves. The hotel’s front desk staff is not trained nor is it appropriate for them to change linens at 11pm at night while leaving no one to attend the front desk. As for an apology, one was given by the front desk agent at the time of the discussion at the front desk in our lobby and was given a suggestion of speaking to the manager in the morning since there would be no resolution that night.
At the point of the disruption the following day, it is within the rights of the property manager to evict someone from the premises if they cause a disturbance. We take the peace and quiet of our guests very seriously and any disruption has to be dealt with quickly and efficiently. The arrival of the sheriff’s department assured that peace would ensue and each party would part with as much decorum as not to disturb the holiday stay for the other 99 percent of the guests staying at the hotel.
We apologize your stay did not meet your expectations. The hotel tried to be accommodating as much as possible without disrupting the peace of the rest of our guests. We were simply motivated in helping in any way possible however when met with the adversity of not complying with your unreasonable requests and your action with a video camera, an officer was requested to this property so that the resolution could take place off private property and away from other guests. Policies are in place for a reason as to ensure the equal treatment for all our guests. These policies cannot be bent for one guest or group because others would suffer. Thanks, but no thank you for your future travel needs. There were many people of diverse backgrounds staying at this hotel at the time and the service they received was above reproach as per their comments to us including members of your own family that were frustrated and apologized to the staff during their departure.
Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seffner
Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa East (Casino Area)
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#77 of 163 in Tampa
Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City
Comfort Suites Tampa / Brandon
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tampa/Brandon
Quality Inn & Suites Tampa Brandon

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tampa East? Share your experiences!