“Worst Spa Experience in Sheraton Sebring Chateau Elan”

Chateau Elan Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Sebring
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 27, 2010

This review is not about the hotel itself but the spa that the hotel so proudly advertises. But after speaking to the GM and how he represented the establishment, I'm not sure if I will spend a dime here.

Just finished speaking to the Reinhart (not sure if this is an accurate spelling of his name) GM of Sebring Chateau Elan and with every point I made I will list below, he made an excuse. No apology. I told him that I called not to argue with him, but simply make him aware of my spa experience. He kept arguing anyway.

1. At entrance of the SPA, there was a strong and distinct musty/wet-sock-like smell. They didn't even light any candles to cover the scent.

2. The masseuse talked the entire 70 minutes. Mind you it was supposed to be a 90-minute massage that we agree upon reservations. The GM insisted that they only have a 55-minute and an 80-minute massage. He also then asked me why I didn't ask the masseuse to talk not to me.

3. The worst part of this was when I used the restroom after my massage, there was a ring around the toilet and urine spray all over the seat. The seat lining dispenser was empty. I had to open my own toilet paper and clean the toilet seat myself. The GM explained to me that they clean the spa daily and that it was unfortunate for me to follow someone that didn't clean after themselves in the bathroom. I understand his latter point, but rings around the toilet, at least in my bathroom happen slowly overtime. Maybe, they have overstimulated mold growing in theirs.

BTW, I had an 8:45 am appointment. Maybe the cleaners clean at 9 am?

It took me a almost a full year to use my Christmas 2008 gift certificate from my hubby, and what a let down!!! At the end, I left feeling disgusted and ripped off.

For those of you who are visiting Sebring area and need spa services, I recommend "Back In Touch." What a difference in services and ambience.

P.S. I rate the massage (I had a deep tissue combined with hot stone) a 3 out of 5. Not bad in my book.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
reinhardSEF, Manager at Chateau Elan Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2010

My name is Reinhard I am the manager responsible for the Four Points Sebring
and as you can see I have never replied to any of the message great or not
so favorable, because they all are honest reviews. However some of
“AlohaHana’s” comments
are much embellished even untrue. I am not saying we are perfect and
we certainly have items that need correcting and we are working on them.

“AlohaHana” called me over 35 day’s after she visited the spa to complain
which
is rather unusual it’s like going to a restaurant and calling back a month
later to complain that the steak was not cooked the way you wanted it and
now I want a free steak! I have never received a call before to tell me:

“I am about to post a review on trip advisor” …..……!

If she is planning to bash the spa online why call me to tell me she's about
to do that?????

If you plan on staying with us or getting a spa treatment and have concerns, just
call me personally I will make sure that you are taken care off!

Reviewed May 23, 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel for business. The room was ok, just a little dirty but not bad at all. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I actually ran into the cleaning lady as well and she was very nice. I am used to some that don't even speak to you. The The food was good and the bar staff was great. I would stay there agin.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2008

Our experience started off on the wrong foot and went downhill from there. Despite practically no one in the hotel (we were there for a Chin Motorsports weekend event), they gave us the room next to the elevator and just above the loud air-conditioning units (room 309, by the way). They changed our room out so that was better. Rooms are fine, clean and the beds are great. But when we went to book spa appointments, they said they have no one to do anything but massage. (in the process of hiring someone, they said). A spa with only a message therapist (the receptionist handed me a full brochure with all the relaxing descriptions and didn't say a thing about that)... seemed odd to me and disappointing since I got all excited about some of the cooler offerings. Then we went down for drinks in the bar (pretty nice bar, good bartending staff, heavy pours - if you like that). There was a small sushi bar in the corner with no signs around it (read: no pricing), so we grabbed 5-6 pieces of sushi. Since there wasn't any other way to know, we assumed it was complementary (but wow it tasted horrible!). It wasn't. Once the bartender asked us how many pieces we had, we realized it wasn't complementary. $1 each. We complained. They took it off the bill. Good catch.
Dinner in the restaurant offered decent food (the lamb chops in the strawberry sauce were quite tasty) but the service was sorely lacking. The giant crab cake was the best thing we had (and arrived before the salads, despite being ordered 5 minutes after). When we ordered wine, the first one we ordered was out, and she brought the second one but had never been shown how to open the bottle. Being in the food and beverage industry, I taught her how to open the bottle (in her defense, she's 18). The food lagged... and lagged... and lagged. For our wait, they gave us two coupons for free drinks in the bar. Another save (they try hard here... to make it up to you).
At 9:55am, I tried to order breakfast in the room... and told me no...breakfast ends at 10am. I told them my clock said 9:55am and they told me no breakfast - this time sounding kinda uppity. At this point, after everything that had happened thus far in our stay (and this is only the first morning), I lost it and called the manager. They made us breakfast... and the guy who got in trouble for telling me no actually delivered the food to the room. Oooh... uncomfortable - not a smart decision on the manager's part. After apologizing, he told me I'd gotten him in trouble... I was alone in the room with an angry guy. Scary but everything was fine. He told me they comped the breakfast... when I said that's too much, he told me he'd get in more trouble if I called to say that...argh.. save 3. And we're so not the discount mongers! Four saves in 24 hours...for us, that's too much. We're still here (they have free wireless access), so hopefully nothing else blows up.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2007

Stayed there 1 night in April. Great location to watch the race - make sure you get a room with balcony on the back of the building with direct view on the racetrack.

Very clean facility, great beds! Extremly slow elevator, food ok but nothing outstanding, extremly slow bartender and restaurant-staff.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank madmaxmunich
Reviewed February 17, 2007

I stayed at the Sheraton 4 Points Sebring for one night in February. Check in was a challenge, as the hotel was just coming off a packed weekend. A large Porsche club was racing and had filled the hotel completely.

My room wasn't ready when I was sent up the first time. Between some requests from me and some miscommunication between the desk and housekeeping and the front desk clerk had me walking all over the place.

Eventually I was settled in the room I wanted (301). Here's a hint. Ask for the 3rd or 4th floor, on the back of the building for a view of the track. These rooms have balconies overlooking a tight turn, and I had a blast watching the racing.

Another hint: If you are not into the racing, and you need to sleep during race hours, this is not the hotel for you. The rooms were well insulated, but the noise is pretty incredible.

Otherwise, the bed was amazing, good internet service, good room service. The elevator was very slow, and required long waits sometimes.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank zjxtinpusher
Reviewed August 9, 2006

Hotel is on the race track curve. Can watch the race from your room, the pool or dining room. Massage therapist in spa is good but talks too much. Rooms are great. Food was okay, nothing to brag about. Go across the street to the racetrack gift shop if you want mementos, the small shop in the hotel is too expensive.

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank Cawowyn
Reviewed September 11, 2005

If you are in Sebring for a race, this hotel is the only hotel to stay. It is clean and affordable and right on the race track. I watched my husband race from our balcony. Sebring is a very boring town to visit and this hotel is not for families. The restaurant is nothing impressive and the pool is small.

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank fillymo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sebring
Inn On The Lakes
Residence Inn Sebring
#3 of 11 in Sebring
Holiday Inn Express Sebring
Westgate River Ranch Resort & Rodeo

Been to Chateau Elan Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!