“Lots of Conflicting Information”
Review of Seagrove Villas

Seagrove Villas
Reviewed November 13, 2007

I have stayed here 6 times over the last 4-5 years. I love the location, but the change in management has really confused me. My last
stay was the week after Christmas 2006. Enjoyed the stay and have always enjoyed the personnel. That is until Jan. 1st. 2007. New management came in during my stay and all of the friendly staff just disappeared.

New management told me that my March (07) reservation was cancelled because property was to be demolished and condos rebuilt on the site. They credited my card so I had no financial loss, I just had to find another place to stay.

Well, the demolition did not happen. I was staying in Seagrove Beach this weekend so I again dropped in the office to inquire about reservations. I was told by the desk clerk that there was now a NEW property owner and that reservations were being accepted through Sept.
2007, "as of today". She was not very helpful and could not even quote
me room rates. She told me to go online to get the infromation. I loved this place for years. Now....it appears that it is not being actively promoted, so if you book here, make sure you can get your deposit back if they AGAIN change directions.

• Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank TallahasseeMark

Reviewed November 10, 2007

This hotel was recommended to us by a friend in Texas who has been coming here for 20 some odd years. We were happy to see the "Old Florida" look to the place although the booking agent really tried to push us to stay at Seaside. We had a two bedroom suite with full kitchen and sitting room. The kids had two sets of bunk beds - 4 beds in all in their room.

Here's the deal, the Villas have been sold and a condo is going up there. They are still booking to March of 2008, but I hear that's it. The place has not been maintained at all. The sliding glass doors were dirty and off track, the ceiling leaked - alot - onto our bed.

We met FABULOUS people while there, all who had been coming to this motel for years and generations. They all agreed that the place has been left to die. It's a shame, as the charm of the old place really stands out in prestine Seaside and Watercolor. They are both just a walk down the beach -- or better yet, a bike ride.

So, this motel may not be there when you go, but I understand it holds many memories.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MySheWasYar
Reviewed October 31, 2007

We had stayed there before and decided to stay once again this past June. It was dirty, no glasses or kitchen items, and the bedding did not seem clean or fresh. We had no beach umbrella as we had in the past. Just overall a bad experience but still paid the price that we had paid the previous year. In fact, we wondered (after a sleepless night)....How could they meet the cleaning codes etc.? Is it still open? Has it been torn down yet? We loved it in the past and hated to see it go, but how it stayed open last summer is something else.....

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank BEACHBUG07
Reviewed September 13, 2006

We chanced on Seagrove Villas while driving by. Went to the officeat 4:25 on Tuesday, the 4th of Sept., the day after Labor Day. Office closed. Sign said: Open from 9:30 (as I recall) to 4:30. Had clerk just left?
Booked a room by the phone at the office which was there for that purpose. Got key from lockbox using combination the phone person provided. Quite efficient. Cost, she said: $104/night - but $137 with taxes and fees. Wow. High taxes or high fees - or both?
Room was on 2nd floor of the 3 story building. Nice room overlooking pool and beach. Minor irritants: No shampoo, no kleenex, towels not to be taken to pool (fortunately we had one of our own). And the card with theTV channel guide was totally incorrect.
Conclusion: Very nice place for a family which stays a few days. Small kitchen - so can save on meals. Lovely beach and nice pool. Not so good for the drive by, like us, who would like to see someone in the office when we arrive and before we leave.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SouthernSun1
A TripAdvisor Member
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed March 19, 2006

We have stayed at Seagrove Villas numerous times throughout the past 10 years. However, this past weekend was certainly not up to par. This was our first time to stay upstairs in what is referred to as the "2-story building." The layout of the room was terrible! The front door opened directly into the bedroom. The bathroom couldn't have been any smaller and only had a shower. This was particularly upsetting since we have a 2 year old. Overall, the room was a bit dilapidated. I will never stay on this floor again.

We have stayed on the 1st floor of this same building before and one would expect the 2nd floor layout to be the same, but it isn't. We have also stayed in the villas, the "3 story building", and now on both floors of the "2 story building." This was the only negative experience we have ever had.

There is no daily maid service at Seagrove Villas. You are on your own. This wouldn't be too much of a problem, except that I do take issue with the note that comes with the room-asking the customer to clean up, wash the dishes, take out the trash, take the sheets off the bed, etc before leaving! This room costs about $160/night, so it's not exactly a bargain, where one wouldn't mind doing these things because of the low rates. One can usually rent a small condominium for that same rate in the area. Also, there is no blow dryer nor any toiletries provided with the room. The basic Holiday Inn motel amenities aren't included here.

When I complained, I was given a 10% discount and told that these rooms would soon be renovated. They certainly need it. The staff is always very helpful. This one experience would in no way prevent us from staying here again.

However, the pool was nicely heated, the beach is gorgeous, and the overall outdoor facilities are great. Seagrove Villas is an easy place to stay, but no longer that great bargain it once was. I guess the secret is out, the prices are up(although the product has not improved), and the in-room amenities are minimal.

• Stayed: March 2006
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 16, 2005

Despite visiting the Destin/Seagrove area for 20 years, we had never noticed or heard of the Villas until the Coastal Living article ran. We decided to give it a try since we were only going down for 4 days. There are three structures on site (couple of 3 story bldgs and the villas).

We were extremely fortunate in my view to have gotten villa A-1, as it is the unit nearest the ocean and one of only two units that had it's own private outdoor hot tub. Since these units run perpendicular to the beach, A-1 sits literally at the edge of the bluff so this unit has a completely unobstructed view of the gulf. Sitting in the hot tub on a clear cool October night was certainly a more private and unique experience than is available at most multi-unit properties.

So far as the room, this is defintely old style Florida. It was clean and comfortable but you should realize that the units are really just one big room, plus a glassed in sitting area (which had a great view by the way). The "bedroom" is separated only by a portable folding partition. Since we were there with our kids (14 and 8), there was no real opportunity for privacy. There is only one TV and the kitchenette had a small refrigerator, 2 burner cooktop and no dishwasher, so if eating in is a big thing for you this may not be adequate.

In my view, the villas can be a delightful experience for a couple who are looking for a quiet place to read and relax but you would have to really love your kids to enjoy this set up for a whole week. We enjoyed our short stay there.

Footnotes: they no longer have free bikes on property; beach access was out due to hurricane damage so getting down to the beach was not convenient...ask whether reconstruction is complete. The bathroom was good as was the shower. Kids bunk beds were good. It's only about a mile walk to the Town of Seaside, which was nice. Lastly, the on site staff were some really nice people.

• Stayed: October 2005
Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse
Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse
#1 of 1 in Grayton Beach
Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort

Been to Seagrove Villas? Share your experiences!