“Very relaxing, family atmosphere”

Las Olas Beach Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Satellite Beach
Toronto
“Very relaxing, family atmosphere”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We spent a week after the resort after several busy days in Orlando and Universal Studios. The units are huge, very clean and every unit has huge sliding doors across the whole back that faces the ocean. The atmosphere is very much like a big family. Many of the guests are owners that visit yearly, and most others had visited at least once before. The office for check in / checkout is very small, not like the big time share resorts I am used to, but check in was a breeze. The staff is always available and willing to help. Theme nights are hosted twice a week. Karaoke night is a hoot, even if karaoke is not your thing and free beer and wine is supplied. Potluck night has free beer, hotdogs and cheeseburgers supplied in addition to whatever specialties the guests bring. There are not a lot of recreational activities, but they do have boogie boards and balls, etc. in the office for the kids to sign out. There is a very small fee for some of this, but my feeling is they really don’t bother to charge it most of the time, as long as items are returned. The pool is nice but quite small, although was adequate since the resort itself is not very large. The ocean can be very rocky, so bring water shoes. The beach is long, clean and there are many small shells for collecting. Apparently dolphins, manatees and sea turtle sightings are common, although I did not see any. Teenagers may find this resort a little boring. During our stay the resort was filled with small children and older adults. My son and his friend (he thankfully had with him) were the only teenagers there. I look forward to visiting again someday … too bad you can only exchange as a timeshare resort every 4 years, but I suppose it is that popular!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Clintech

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed August 25, 2012

...well, unless you bring teen party people with you. It's not that kind of place. Look north to Cocoa Beach or Daytona or south to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami if you plan on bringing teens looking to meet other teens. Well, that's not entirely factual, as you can drop off your teens at the Cocoa Beach pier just a few miles north.

What most everyone has said is true. The units are HUGE! All have 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. For the record, the center units are 1400sq.ft. under air, 1600 including the balcony. The end units are 1800sq.ft. under air, 2100 including balcony. I called and asked, and those are the numbers directly from Las Olas.

Personally, I started by renting from a gentleman who had visited Las Olas for years with his wife, but, after she died, he just didn't feel like going alone. After a few years, he offered to sell me his week, and he didn't have to ask twice...I snatched it up in a heartbeat. I go back every year and have never had anything except an amazing stay.

Several reviewers have noted that this is an 'older' timeshare community. Just to let you know, that's not a bad thing or a minus, it's a good thing and raises it above the crowd. First of all, it's built like a tank compared to newer condo's. I take frequent vacations and they just don't build them like this anymore...compare size, quality of build, being able to hear the neighbors (you can't, ever), this is just one well laid out and built building. In addition, zoning restrictions would never allow this place to even be built today...it is sooooo close to the ocean. If there were no railing, you could literally PUTT a golf ball into the ocean from the 5th floor...no wedge needed...it's THAT close to the beach. They spent a fortune not too long ago replacing all the furniture. It's gorgeous...just fancy enough that you wouldn't mind inviting Donald Trump...just simple enough that no one would feel uncomfortable. The TV's are all flat screen now, one in each bedroom and one in the living room.

As practically everyone has said, the staff is excellent, and maintenance is 24/7. They have experience keeping their guests and owners happy, and it shows. Underground parking comes in really handy on sunny days. One reviewer commented that it was a bit tight for an SUV, I have to agree, but it's not so tight as to be unmanageable. If you have a HUGE SUV, I suppose parking in the parking lot outside would be best. On the same note, I have a friend in Orlando who visits to go fishing. The management has been very generous to let him bring his boat and park it in the parking lot overnight. Try getting something like that out of Wyndham.

The new activity room is very nice. I don't often partake in many of the activities, but they are there if you want them. Karaoke is one I never pass up. I never sing, but watching people, esp the kids with their parents and grandparents watching, is so touching. If you're a drinker, and want to stay safely on the property, drinks flow aplenty...mostly free [there are some 'suggested donation' drinks].

The last three points, and more reasons you won't want to leave...the ocean, the surf, and the view.

The ocean, oh my goodness. It is so close you feel as if you can touch it from your balcony. I have been accused, and rightfully so, of missing taking my party to Disney World just because I was sitting on the balcony enjoying the sound of the waves. It is so peaceful. You truly are in a different world sitting there. By the way, no one minded missing Disney that year.

The surf: Well, this is the most amazing beach. At high tide, you can walk out and swim and play in the ocean, bring the kids, whatever. At low tide, it becomes a fisherman's dream, with sand which was covering the rocks washed away, bait fish swarm for cover in the coquina rock, bringing snook, redfish, and oodles of others to shore. The best of both worlds, a swimming beach and a fishing beach...just time your activities by the tides.

THE VIEW!...it's amazing. Whatever you want to see. When it's a tad breezy, pelicans will just hover a few feet from your balcony...a real Kodak moment. Cruise ships leaving and coming back from Port Canaveral are great to watch, day or night. Dolphins, manatees, sea turtles...even the occasional whale. Do NOT forget to bring the good camera.

You will NOT want to leave, I promise...

Room Tip: Corner units have much better air flow on the balcony, and are much larger.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank thummp3r
Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed August 20, 2012

When my family got $300 worth of flight credits last summer to use within a year, I was stoked. This meant instead of taking another hiking/biking vacation (don't get me wrong, I love the outdoors. But I can do that at my house, it's not really a thrilling vacation) we could go somewhere more out of the ordinary. We decided to do a beach vacation. As the credits were with Southwest, we had to stay within continental US. Based on that, we chose to go to Florida.
As soon as we arrived at the resort(hotel? condo? I'm not sure what to call this one) we went to the reception center and were met by Jane. She was potentially the most helpful person I have encountered on a timeshare. We were not pressured to take the timeshare tour or anything else. When we asked what a good place to eat was (my family had missed lunch due to the flight and it was 4pm) she gave us several suggestions that were a mere 5 minutes from the resort, even showing us on a map how to get there. We ended up going to Beef O'Brady's, a small diner with delicious food.
After grabbing something to eat, we checked in the room. The room is approximately 1400 square feet, which is a nice size for a 2 bedroom suite. All rooms have oceanfront balconies, which was absolutely lovely (hint: get up early and watch the sunrise, it's gorgeous). The beds were comfortable, there was plenty of seating, and the feel was very beachy. My only complaint was that on the outlet next to my bed, only 1 of the 2 actually worked when I tried to charge my phone and iPod.
The location is excellent for beach goers. The ocean is right there, which is so nice if you want to take a quick dip and then go back and take a shower. Also, the beach is very uncrowded, as it's private to the resorts lining the shore and therefore not open to just anyone. There's a small town feel to the area not on the beach, added to by the fact that there was a high school football game the day we arrived. There are some small diners, and a Publix for groceries, all within a mile of the place. My only complaint is that for shopping non-grocery related, you have to stray a little farther away than I'd consider an easy trip.
If you visit Satellite Beach, I definitely recommend driving half an hour to go see Kennedy Space Center. The tours are fascinating and the entire experience was very educational. On the other side of the spectrum, I also recommend going to Ron Jon's surf shop in Cocoa Beach. It has any kind of beach gear you'd ever need, plus they offer rentals for surf boards and the like, as well as lessons. Great souvenir place.
Overall, I definitely enjoyed my stay at Las Olas and would recommend it to a friend looking for a quiet beach vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Meagan P
NJ
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Our family just spent spring break at the Las Olas Beach resort. I was really surprised by how spacious the unit was, there was 5 of us and more than enough room to roam. The unit was very clean and well kept as were the grounds. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. All of the units are ocean view which is really nice. There is a really cute pool area with a tiki bar and a private beach entrance. There are even lounge chairs on the beach for guest to use, pretty much anything you need is available to guest, some are free some at a small fee. Although we did not have the opportunity to participate, the resort also offers various activities for their guests. The location is nice and quiet, but close enough to some more lively activities if you choose to go - e.g. Cocoa Beach. So if you are looking for a low key relaxing getaway this is the place for you.

Room Tip: We had a regular unit which was huge, but I did hear the corner units are even bigger.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank UCGal
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We have been visiting Las Olas every summer since 1990. It's a special place. No doubt about it. Another TripAdvisor member recently asked for advice on what to do and where to eat, etc. I thought I would share my reply with the rest of you to give you an idea of what to expect if/when you visit. I promise I am not affiliated with Las Olas other than being a once-a-year visitor. Here goes...

For a quick lunch, Da Kine Diego's just a few blocks south of Las Olas. Locals eat at any of the many restaurants ( e.g., Sun On The Beach) that pepper the road along route A1A.

Seafood is the mainstay of the region. We've been all over the place and rarely been disappointed. Just pick one of the top ones in TripAdvisor for either Cocoa Beach, Melbourne, Melbourne Beach or Satellite Beach.

Of course, Disney, Universal Studios and Sea World are just an hour or so away. Our family has enjoyed Capone's dinner theatre for a fun night out in Orlando.

But, if you want to stay local, then consider the following:
- walking the beach at night to go looking for sea turtles and collect shells
- when low tide occurs, walking out in the Atlantic to explore the coral reef just 100 feet offshore
- kayak tours where you are likely to encounter manatee
- getting up before sunrise to watch a real life painting unfold
- visiting Sebastian Inlet (the small museum there provides a unique history of the region)
- getting a boogie board to go ride in the surf (best place to do that is to drive south to Patrick Air Force Base beaches...the last public beach parking lot on Patrick AFB on route A1A before you enter Cocoa Beach...they have a boardwalk and showers to rinse off)
- karaoke night at Las Olas...I'm not big on karaoke... But it always turns out to be a fun time
- if space flight is your thing, the guided tour of the Kennedy Space Center is interesting...but I personally wouldn't make it a priority because I've been there done that...probably more interesting for first-timers...even so, I would consider it a rainy day activity
- the zoo is a really nice one
- a trip up the road to Ron Jon's in Cocoa Beach is a must for an hour or so of buying soveneir t-shirts, hats, flip flops, or other beach garb
- if you're into flea markets, there's a good one on the weekend that you can ask the front desk about
- if there is a photographer in your midst, come prepared to take hundreds of photos...sunrises, subnsets, pelicans, manatee, beachs, sea oats, sand and sea, beach people

If you're ever at a loss for ideas, check with the front desk. The are always ready with great suggestions for things to do.

After we check in, we typically head up route A1A north a few blocks to visit the grocery store, Publix, to stock up on groceries for the week. That way we can buy most of what we plan to eat for the week and maximize our time on the property.

Finally, if you are not intentional, and get caught up in trying to maximize the opportunities that abound in the region, you might overlook the best thing. The single most enjoyable, therapeutic, attractive, invigorating and wonderful thing about Las Olas is the rhythm of the ocean that constantly rushes up on the beach throughout your stay. It beckons you to unplug, relax and enter into a week of rest, connecting with loved ones and just being. So, my final thought is that even if you miss any or all of the attractions I've mentioned, your stay at Las Olas in and of itself will do you a world of good. It's true.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
27 Thank ChuckyB123
Nottingham, England
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We have been staying here just after Christmas for a few years. And each time is a great time. The staff are just great and friendly, nothing is to much trouble for them.

The apartments are huge and very clean.

The area itself is a bit run down now compared to recent years, quite a few shops and restaurants gave closed down.

But if you want a relaxing no hassle break, then this is the place. The beach is but a few yards away, the views are to die for.

And the complex itself, run quite a view classes / get together's . Karaoke, aqua aerobics, golf trip, cocktail afternoons etc.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank MFJB
Iowa
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Just returned from a weeks stay at Las Olas Beach Club! Wonderfully placed resort, beautiful scenery, with many activities on the property, and close by. About an hour from Orlando, close enough to the theme parks but also far enough away, if you know what I mean. We took an airboat tour that was only like a half hr from the resort..I highly recommend it, it was called BullGator tours, saw so many alligators, our guide would also pick up little gators and let you see/touch them up close although we did notget the chance to do that. The fine people at las olas have recently built a new party room! It has 5 flat screen tvs and was an awesome place for karaoke night! the rooms were HUGE, the master suite has an ocean view and sliding glass doors directly onto the balcony, 2 bathrooms, one connected to the master, the other was more of a universal (available for everyone to use) Kitchen was stocked with everything you might need, with new appliances. We did not use the kitchen very much, as there were so many good seafood places around! My only complaints and believe me this did not take away from our vacation nor would it stop me from going to las olas again : the party room had all new flat screens...the rooms had the old style television? the pool closed at dusk due to the fact that the beach is a natural nesting ground for the loggerhead turtle(they cannot help it, the resort was forced to operate this way) the hottub is available to use at night though. Mostly a quiet resort, which suited us fine. that being said Las Olas has the BEST parking I have ever experienced at a resort, INDOOR parking underneath the building that you are staying in...go to the bottom floor, walk directly off the elevator to your car, also in the parking garage there are luggage carts...another nice touch. The resort is family owned and operated, but you would never know it! they had great service and were not involved in your business, unless you asked them to be. This is a timeshare resort and I am a Wyndham/RCI owner, But niether I nor anyone in our group was ever badgered to listen to any pitches, they did stick a flyer in our door...that was it. I would definitely recommend this resort for families or for a honeymoon...not a party resort....but on the party side, there were 3 nights where the resort offered free drinks to everyone! the Sunday afternoon mixer (frozen drinks yum), karaoke night ( beer and wine), and the potluck ( beer, wine, and mixed drinks)...Las Olas...Overall amazing place

Room Tip: All rooms are 2 bedroom rooms Facing the ocean! Great sunrises and breakfasts' on the balcony. C...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Port d'Hiver
Port d'Hiver
#1 of 13 in Melbourne Beach
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront

Been to Las Olas Beach Club? Share your experiences!