“OUR FAVORITE RESORT SO FAR”

Suntide Island Beach Club
Reviewed May 11, 2010

This was our first stay and we plan to choose it whenever possible. With the beach so close and lounge chairs provided there, it made my walking handicap not a problem. Our 2 bedroom was fresh and appeared to have very well cared for furnishings. There is a lot to do very close. We loved Armand Circle. My husband and daughter did one of the near-by kayak tours and we visited several other beaches also. The 72 degree was plenty cool enough and my husband is one of those people who usualy lowers every thermostat the minute we arrive. Not necessary here! The sunbathing deck on the second floor, the pool and hot tub were all well cared for and not very busy while we were there. With the ocean and beach so close most families seemed to spend their days there. If you enjoy grilling out do bring or buy long matches or a long necked lighter, the front desk has none. We suggested they sell them in the gift shop. That was the only problem we had.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Beachus

Reviewed April 2, 2010

This staff is not helpful and will even tell you things that are not true to avoid doing any work. The place is very dated and they are doing very little to update it. They will also only allow you to turn the air down to 72 (which is really more like 77). The rooms are moldy and nasty and smell quite bad. At the end of the trip, they accused me of breaking a blind and charged me $60. There was nothing broken and they could not provide any proof and refused to take my calls. You are better off to avoid this place all together.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hotels222
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Another perfect month at Suntide.
Position is exceptional with direct access onto beautiful Lido Beach. Ten minutes easy walk to all the shops and restaurants on St Armands Circle.
Free internet access in each apartment is a great bonus.
This is an old style Floridian beach resort and is well maintained by a very efficient staff. Any problems are well dealt with and whilst the Manager is no cheer leader, he does his job professionally and continually works to improve and update the resort.
The owners love him!
If you are looking for a sleek, anonymous resort, Suntide is not for you
As a comment to previous post:
We have stayed in many of the Suntide apartments over the years and have never sensed mould or damp .I certainly would never remain anywhere...especially with 2 children ...where the mould was so bad that it was 'difficult to breathe'! Opening doors in the Floridian climate simply letsmore damp air into the place
Think the contributor from Minneapolis' bruised ego somewhat affected his view of the resort!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank dublin4
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We were very disappointed with our recent experience at the Suntide Island Beach Club. The resort is very conveniently located and has a very nice beach, pool, and hot tub, however, as soon as we entered our room, we were hit with a strong smell of mold. It was difficult to breathe in the room. This was extremely concerning, especially since we have two little kids. We wanted to open the windows and were shocked that they were not operable. The only access to fresh air was through the front door, however, there was a sign that said that the room has to be cooled off using the air conditioner and guests are not allowed to leave the door open. We tried to air out the room by leaving the front door open for just a short period of time, but the general manager of the resort walked by, barked at us, and slammed the door shut. Our neighbors also complained about the smell of mold in their room and said they had the same experience with the extremely rude manager. The air conditioner has a set minimum of 72 degrees F and you cannot cool below that temperature which made it hot and uncomfortable to sleep. We are avid travelers and have stayed in many hotels and RCI properties around the world. We have never encountered a hotel manager as rude and unaccommodating as the general manager of the Suntide Island Beach Club, and this was an opinion that was also expressed by our other neighbors at the resort. We have never written a complaint about a hotel before but this experience was so negative that we felt the need to leave feedback.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
7  Thank DoctorJF
Reviewed December 2, 2009

we stayed here for 2 weeks in November, and were most impressed with the units- very clean and well maintained, right on a beautiful beach and walking distance to shops and restaurants At St. Armands Circle. Staff very pleasant and efficient

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaulMakings
Reviewed November 24, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Suntide with my 3 year old son, and 1 year old daughter. We had the best time. It really felt like being at home. We had a 2 bedroom 1st floor apartment right by the heated pool. It was a short 50 yard walk to a wonderful beach, with calm water. The sand was like powdered sugar, and our kids loved walking around in the very shallow water. You get one free parking spot, both bedrooms had their own bathroom, cable TV. The whole apartment was extremely clean, and pretty up to date. The full kitchen had everything for us to make our own food, although we ate out at St. Armands Circle every night. St. Armands is upscale, but is reasonable, and has several great places to eat including our favorite the Crab and Fin. We didn't love Columbia as much as some of the other reviewers, our waiter didn't like kids, and the food was bland.

Like I said the beaches are awesome! The calm water was a nice 72 degrees, which was fine for November. We took long walks up to the north, and down to the park area in the south. I recommend that you look this place up on Google Maps to really see how much awesome beach there is, both at the resort and in the park to the south.

The timeshare owners at the resort were extremely nice, everyone talked to us and our kids. The people staying there were a good mix of retirees, and a few young couples with kids. Mostly people keep to themselves, but it was refreshing how everyone was so nice.

The place offers a nice sized heated pool, a hot tub that fits 11 people, a laundry room which you could buy the soap for $1 at the front desk, and a small exercise room. The rooms were quite updated with nice features and free wifi which was fast enough most of the time. They also had a pool table, 2 shuffle board courts, a volleyball net, and fresh beach/pool towels.

We will go back again, and definitely recommend this place to others. The only thing lacking was on-site food. Two resorts up the beach was a sandwich place that we didn't try, and three resorts down was a Ritz Carlton Tiki Bar, which had great food and drinks, a little pricey of course, but worth it.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Kirk_MD
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Excellent resort in general with very friendly co-guests. Stay more or less perfect but spoilt by underhand ripoff after checkout. Checked out of two units,the furthest two apart and was wished a safe journey. The" alleged" manager told me when I returned to the furthest unit to double check that a missing item of my 2 1/2 year old grandson was not left in our unit that we were a couple of minutes late. I pointed out that the unit was empty and I was double checking. Although his attitude was extremely rude and very untypical of US resort personel experienced during the previous decade, I thought no more of it. On my return to the UK,I found that my credit card had been debited for $100. I queried this and despite the resort taking my phone number after 24 hours I had received no response. Finally I was told that it was for late checkout on both rooms. The alleged manager obvious didn't have the guts to discuss it with us. I find it rather cowardly and underhand to take these excessive funds. This is the first time I have experienced this and I'm disgusted that such a nice resort should be so underhand and spoil a holiday in thre great resorts.Well perhaps two great resorts!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family