“location, clean”

Ranked #40 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
Walt Disney World, Florida
“location, clean”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I booked the hotel 2 days before memorial w/end with a rate of $99 which was much too high, for the standard of hotel, which included b/fst..sausage,eggs..for ($50) yes, not for a high rate. location is right off 1-75 with the beach 15mins away.. I'll stay there again @ a much cheaper rate...

Room Tip: right on the main street leading to the beach..clark road.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeanette b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This was a good clean comfortable place to stay. I would bring my girlfriend and kids here or stay solo. Good sized room. Free breakfast was awesome, included the usually waffle machine but also sausages and scrambled eggs too. The pictures you see posted by other tripadvisor members are pretty accurate and much like the room I had. It is about a 8-10 minute drive from downtown Sarasota and the coast but if you need something by the freeway its right by the I-75, although far enough from it so you don't hear it. Everything was in good repair and worked. The bed was reasonably comfortable. There's a Burger King and 7-eleven within 50 yards in case you need some late night eats. I would come back here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank derrill
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I recently took my two dogs to Sarasota for a last minute Memorial Service. Only two hotels (that I checked) allowed pets in the Sarasota area. One was La Quinta Inn (Port Charlotte) and the other was Comfort Inn (Clark Road, Sarasota.) I decided to book Comfort Inn because it was close to the obligations in which I was to attend.

My room was located on the first floor (Room 105) which is normal for people with pets. The room was large, but, was very out-dated. The chair and table looked like something out of a flea market...old, torn and worn. The bed was very uncomfortable and the sheets and pillows (I can tell... were used and used and used....clean though!) The floor was tile (obvious) but, the room was, in itself, not inviting. The light in the bathroom lit up like I was in a cheap bar and I could hardly see what I was doing in the shower. Possibly, the 'other' non-pet rooms may have been nicer? The air conditioning did not work and kept shutting off all night long and I had to open the windows since it got so hot in the room. Thank god it was a somewhat cool Florida evening in Sarasota.

I felt somewhat uncomfortable since I did not see anyone else with a pet and I was approached by another guest who made a comment about my pet staying at the hotel. Actually, someone knocked on my door and my small yorkie barked...a few moments later when I went to walk the dogs, a staff member approaced me and told me "to keep my dog quiet." My dog only barked a few seconds which is only natural if someone is to knock on a door. (The point is...it is supposed to be 'pet friendly.') I was so uncomfortable for the rest of the time that my dog would bother someone else if anyone approached the door again. After the memorial service, I decided to cancel the rest of my plans and leave the hotel (I had reservations for two nights.)

Moreover, when I checked in, I asked where I would be able to walk my pet. I was told to go to the area on the side of the hotel by the pool." When I walked over to the large area between the Comfort Inn and the other hotel...there were no lights and as I was walking, there were massive red ant hills (I live in Florida and know what a red ant hill looks like even though it was totally dark) ...I almost stepped into one by accident, which I am highly allergic to the ants...they really need to treat the lawns...even for small children who would decide to play outside...
Overall, I was glad I was able to find a hotel that would accept pets during this last minute obligation, however; I have been to other hotels in the past that were alot more accomodating regarding the comfort level of a 'pet friendly' room. This hotel made me very uncomfortable to stay with the pets.

I hope this helps for those traveling with their animals!

Room Tip: La Quinta Inn...I ended up spending my second night (Naples location)...rooms were very clean, updat...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Lauri K
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is a comfortable place to stay. It is a little bit out from the action but there are plenty of good restaurants down along Clarke Road. It is a straight drive to Siesta Beach # beach in the US if that is what you want - A very busy beach.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
New York
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Several family members stayed here by virtue of its location, mostly, and for our gathering and convenience this was perfect.

Unlike some of my business or vacation travels, where I've stayed in hotels which were themselves part of the attraction (with luxurious amenities, grounds, and services), this was purely for a comfortable and "reasonably priced" room, chosen primarily for "having a base" from which to venture out to a family gathering nearby. Mostly the only time spent there was to sleep - and by chance to watch the SuperBowl in the lobby, where I learned also a bit about this hotel/motel and its "sister" next door.

Bottom line: there is a Holiday Inn Express across the busy street for $20 more/night - apparently a brand-name thing. The Days Inn just next door (the "sister" property) is quite similar, and around $10 less/night. The difference between the two (according to the friendly desk worker who brought cake & cupcakes for the SuperBowl shift) is in the "brand" and Comfort Inn's slightly nicer touches, like eggs and links with the free breakfast buffet (6-10 AM) which also includes a waffle-maker, cereals hot & cold, juice, breads, yoghurt, and more. Coffee is available 24/7 and there are vending and ice machines both in the eating area and on 2 of the 3 floors. And laundry machines. Plus there is a 7-11 and Burger King just outside the front door.

Unlike a luxury hotel review (focusing on fine dining, tourist attractions, spas & luxurious bathrooms, etc.) I'll "stick to the basics" here. The rooms are quiet, and spacious. No pretenses at luxury, some of the furniture is a bit "pre-worn" (thinking of a frayed coffee table), but no worries - there is just so *much* furniture (and space) here. My room had a king sized bed, a pull-out sofa/bed, iron/ironing board, hair blower, cable (tube-type) TV, and happily: free wi-fi Internet - plus there is a computer in the lobby, with a printer for boarding passes, maps, whatever. A small pool and jacuzzi are just outside, and a little picnic area is in the back (shared with the Days Inn), under some palm trees.

That's really about the whole deal: Basic - with some nice touches, friendly desk staff, convenient to Clark Road/I75 and surrounding area. For a family or single/couple travels, it's really about value and location, not luxury or frills. But you not only "get what you pay for" (value) but in a nice way too, for a reasonable rate. (Rates do vary seasonally, higher in winter, and they do sell out, I saw, such as when a sports competition comes to town and books a large block of rooms.)

I took some pictures, and am posting a few, but I do find that the ones posted on the motel's web page are similar to my own, and true to life. My own photos (and memory) document both the lovely sky and the breakfast nook plus lobby areas and pool, plus the scale of the room. Note: the rooms also have a large refrigerator, desk area (or two in my case), and a microwave (which works wonderfully with a 7-11 burrito or quick re-heating/cooking). I could sit at the desk and work at my laptop - with hi-speed Internet - and with one hand open the refrigerator door and pull out a drink or apple/snack as I remained seated.

Lastly but importantly: location, location. This spot is 5 minutes from the various condos and assisted living centers on Palmer Ranch Parkway. In the other direction it's just one minute to I75 which (in addition to local streets) can take someone to the airport or beaches or downtown Sarasota quite quickly, or set one towards the great attractions in Tampa or the beaches to the South (e.g., Venice). Of course what is described (by both scientists and travelers) as our "nation's finest beach", Siesta Key, is just a very short drive (15-20 minutes?) as are movie theaters, and malls upon malls. Some decent restaurants too.

The website lists some of the area attractions, accurately. There is beach, culture (Van Wezel performing arts center, Ringling Museum, etc.) nearby, and also within driving distance there is an incredible nature preserve/state park (Myaka). A bit further off one can visit the Dali Museum in St. Pete, or find shark's teeth on Venice Beach, or have a wide choice of State Parks and "Old Florida" attractions, from old estates to a Big Cat preserve to Linger Lodge.

And that, I think, is "the story".
The local Comfort Inn/Clark Road web page is at: http://bit.ly/wfsf9C

Room Tip: The main choice is in terms of bed size and/or extra sofa/bed. No particular great "views"...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank drmikenyc
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I stayed at this property for 14 days in November, 2011. The motel is close to the Ringling College of Art & Design & also to the Sarasota Airport. North of the hotel is a prostitute(streetwalkers) walk all the way to the airport but only at night. South of the motel is Ringling & the city of Sarasota. The linens were clean & towels were changed as often as you wanted. There were wastebaskets near the sink & another near the bed. The house staff were friendly but the office staff had an attitude & weren't always friendly. There was a small refrigerator in my room. I paid around 50USD a night & was pleased.

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor & there is a elevator. The shower had handicap access. Sarasota is a grea...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed in room 322. Had a great stay there. I was surprised by how clean the room was. Even that area at the head of the bed and the wall was kept clean(which no-one seems to clean anymore).

Very good hotel, and clean. There is a subway restraunt and gas station there also.

I would stay there again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple