“We were pleased”

Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
Atlanta, Georgia
“We were pleased”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We had never stayed at a Residence Inn before, and we are glad that we gave this hotel our business. We were referred to this inn by Ringling College of Art and Design; this inn is close to the college and offers discounted rates to the families of students and prospective students.

The decor is modern and inviting. We reserved a one bedroom suite (with a sofabed for our teenager) and it was spacious and comfortable. The hot breakfast buffet was presented nicely and well-maintained by a staff member. Newspapers were offered free of charge on a daily basis. The hotel staff was welcoming and experienced.

Only one minor suggestion - We happened to be in town during a tropical storm. Rain was constant and heavy. There is no covered entrance to the hotel, so there was no way to unload luggage and remain dry. We were drenched loading and unloading. I think that the Hilton needs to rethink the design to remedy this situation.

All in all, a great experience. We booked a return stay for later in the summer when we return to pick up our son.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EPFP
ri_srqri_gm, General Manager at Residence Inn Sarasota Bradenton, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience with us here at The Residence Inn Sarasota! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, the service and our amenities. We are happy you've chosen to return for another stay-We welcome you back!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Bloomington, Indiana, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Front desk staff was helpful (too helpful? we wanted desperately to skip the tourism spiel and get to bed) and breakfast was GREAT. Lots of choices, kind of crowded space but great variety and food temps. Property seemed clean and updated. Location is convenient to SRQ but not really to anything else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carly R
, General Manager at Residence Inn Sarasota Bradenton, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us here at the Residence Inn Sarasota. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your weekend stay and that you enjoyed the choices & variety we offer with our breakfast. My team takes pride in making our guests feel welcome. We look forward to your next visit!
New Richmond, Ohio
Reviewed June 4, 2012

All details are covered with this property -- well appointed, clean, new, fresh. Sport court is in the shade of a lovely old tree, the pool was warm and clear, coffee is tasty. What really impressed us was the front desk staff. Jason was so friendly and welcoming. Kamire helped us through a series of needs -- SPF when we went out to the pool area, printed directions to UPS store, and Rep connection to Marriott to change the next hotel on our itinerary.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank VeryImportantMama
I appreciate you taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay. Thank you for recognizing the individuals who went above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable-it truly makes their day! Come back to see us real soon.
Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

Residence Inn Sarasota

Couple of points first for folks looking at staying in the Sarasota airport area;
1.  SRQ is not a very busy airport, nothing in the league of Tampa or Orlando.  This airport has waged an ongoing struggle with locals for years to encourage them to fly out of Sarasota (vs, Tampa where flights out are often cheaper) so as to keep the air carriers committed to Sarasota.  Thus, the airport noise at SRQ is considerably less than what you'll find at many airport hotels in other areas.  I saw one jet take off on my last stay and that was a first in a number of stays.
2.  The hotels in the Sarasota airport area are not close to the beach but the beach is not that far away, if you have a car.  In fact, some absolutely wonderful beaches (Anna Maria and Lido) are a short ride away.  But the fabulous Ringling Museum is within walking distance.

That said, we haven't stayed at the Residence Inn Sarasota since they had a makeover.  The aesthetics of the main entrance area and the rooms have been updated.  I used to really enjoy staying at the RI but honestly, there are a number of strong competitors in this area now and unless I really needed the extra space or kitchen feature, I think I might look elsewhere.

What we enjoyed about our stay at the RI:
The staff who assisted me upon check-in clearly understands customer service.  When I asked for a quiet room, it was clear from his expression that the room we'd been assigned to probably wouldn't fill the bill.  He switched us to a room that was far away from elevators and that was overall pretty quiet.  kudos, not all hotel staff get that (lookin' at you Hilton Garden Inn, that means NOT over the trash dumpster!)
The pool area is pleasant, which I enjoyed (at least until I tried to get back in, see below)
The extra space in the room is positive and we did not have the issues some folks reported with Internet speed.

What might have been improved upon:
two bath towels in the bathroom?  Excuse me, is this the Days Inn model?  While  they were lovely nice size towels, I am more used to three towels in hotels at this level.  But at least they were better than ....
The incredibly dinky pool towels.  Very pathetic.  I expect a bit more from a Marriott.
Air conditioning was somewhat noisy.
The bed in our very nice one bedroom suite was a double, very small and not as comfy as some hotel beds I've slept in of late.
The non-functioning ice maker in the refrigerator,  if the purpose of not having ice makers is to give folks ice makers in the fridge, please have staff check that they work.  Don't make customers do the work of reporting this.
My biggest complaint, however, had to do with the pool.  I get up early to use the pool, typically between 7:30 and 8 am.  I walked out into the pool area which was very quiet and only later while in the spa noticed that the hours were 9 am to 9pm.  However when I went to return to my room, the door into the building was locked and would not open, even with my key card.  I had to use the phone to call in to have one of the staff let me in.  One of the staff later told my husband that this was to keep the area quiet for the rooms that overlook the pool area.  I understand this in principle however the folks who typically use the pool first thing in the morning are not usually the rowdy folks but rather folks like myself who just want a quiet relaxing swim without kids cannonballing over their heads (BTW, the Lido Beach Resort has an big adult pool and a big pool for kids, which is VERY nice).  If the pool area isn't open, then lock the door but don't let customers go out and then not be able to get back in.

I was disappointed with our stay, short as it was as knowing the other hotels in the area, I think I would have been happier elsewhere.  The makeover at the Residence Inn is nice but there are some details that clearly need attention.  Unless you really need the space or have an extended stay, there are better deals to be found.

Stayed May 2012
1 Thank SRQsandnsea
ri_srqri_gm, General Manager at Residence Inn Sarasota Bradenton, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to provide your feedback. I greatly appreciate it as guest feedback helps us provide better service. I was happy to read my front desk staff member provided you with a quiet room. I apologize that your room was not stocked with 3 bath towels, as that was a mistake on our part. I agree with your comment on the size of our pool towels and have communicated this to our supplier and hope to have larger towels purchased soon. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Sarasota.
Florida
Reviewed May 4, 2012

For our daughter's college graduation we stayed at this nearby hotel, Opted for the separate living area in the mini-apartment like suite. Small but well appoointed rooms with everything needed. Clean, nice, warm pool/jacuzzi. Staff friendly and always available. Moist scrambled eggs, canadian bacon, 2 potato options, waffles, cereal, lots of bread choices for breakfast. Rooms could use more soundproofing could hear another tv at night and the A/C system rather loud. Room value and convenience was good.

Room Tip: Ask if a "quieter" room is available-could be.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura7Clearwater
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us here at the Residence Inn Sarasota-Bradenton. Also, Congratulations on your daughter's college graduation. You have to be so proud! I was pleased to read you enjoyed the accommodations and our breakfast. Please accept my apology for the noise from the a/c unit and the tv from a nearby guest. We invite you to stay with us again on your next visit to Sarasota.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I have stayed here before and love it. I was very happy to know they remodeled, however, our two bedroom suite (310) ac was not working properly. We complaint and right away they send someone. It made it better, but still not right. We are giving it another chance this coming weekend (May 4th) so, I will let you know. Other than that it is a very nice hotel, they really care about clients and you feel at home. Please fix the AC for this weekend!!

Room Tip: 2 bedroom suites with full kitchen and living room are great.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Leishla R
ri_srqri_gm, General Manager at Residence Inn Sarasota Bradenton, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at The Residence Inn by Marriott Sarasota-Bradenton.
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to complete a review. I'm also pleased to read you are staying with us again. I apologize for the issue you experienced with the a/c unit, and I hope your next stay is problem free. Also, Thank you for recognizing that my team truly cares about our guests. I was happy to share this with them today. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Florida
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Sadly, we came to this property to attend a funeral. We arrived late! With one only one hour to spare, we were allowed to check in before the official check in time. When we came downstairs, the directions to the funeral parlor were done for us!
This hotel cares about you. When we had a squeaky bathroom door, Leigh Anne the Assistant General Manager, came upstairs herself to fix it.
The suite was huge with a lovely living room area and a full kitchen with anything you could need if you wanted to eat there. (The downstairs area also has a barbaque you can use!)
The bed was a queen and although we are used to a King, it was fine. One suggestion: our room (215) faced the barbeque/sitting area with a fire pit where people can talk at night. That can be noisy. Also, to the right is the swimming pool and one tennis court/basketball court. This hotel is very child-friendly so that court was used a lot and you can hear it.
The breakfast buffet had hot food! The location is very close to downtown Sarasota and not far from St. Armand's Circle and the beaches. If you're traveling in season, be sure to be at the beach before 9:00 am! The line was bumper to bumper from St. Armonds Circle at 11:00 AM. We chose not to go!
My only question was why, after using 3 cups and one plate, our dishwasher was on a full cycle by the maid. I would suggest they gather all the plates and do one or two washes as needed and return the dishes to conserve energy.

Room Tip: 215 was right over and facing the fire pit sitting area. People sometimes sit and talk there at nigh...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eslmavin
ri_srqri_gm, General Manager at Residence Inn Sarasota Bradenton, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
I was so happy to read your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at The Residence Inn Sarasota-Bradenton. Thank you for taking the time to tell other potential guests of your experience here. You were right to say "We Care". It is our goal to provide Service So Memorable to each & every one of our guests, and I'm delighted you received that from my fabulous assistant, Leigh Anne and other staff members. I hope your next trip to see us will be for a happier occasion.