“Perfect Beach Location”

Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed January 15, 2007

I have stayed on Lido Beach at least 25 times before in a timeshare condo, but for a 2 night stay with friends, I needed to find an actual hotel. I had seen this hotel countless times from the beach, and it always seemed to be busy, and received good reviews on Trip Advisor, so I booked it.

It is an older location, and could use some upgrades in minor details such as wallpaper & locks on the doors that were hard to turn at times, and free high speed internet would be nice, but that's the extent of the "negative" things I have to say. Everything was clean, which makes a big difference in an older property.

The property is right on the Gulf of Mexico, with great views from the Gulf Front rooms. It is very well maintained, and the grounds are in terrific condition. The beach is raked every morning by the staff to keep it as soft as possible. 2 big heated pools sit in the courtyard along with a pool bar. Beach chairs, cabanas & beach volleyball are all available free of charge. The staff was friendly, from the front desk, to the coffee shop/bar, to housekeeping and maintenance.

The beach is great for walking, and we had good views of dolphins one afternoon. The sun sets each evening right in front of the hotel. St. Armand's Circle, filled with shops & restaurants, is a 10-15 minute walk or a 2 minute drive.

It was a positive experience staying in a different place on a beach that I already know is fantastic, and is affordable for a beachfront location.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
10  Thank TrueLiz

Reviewed January 6, 2007

We spent five nights at this hotel and, contrary to some of the previous reviews, we found it to be excellent. All of the staff were friendly and helpful, our requests were met and service was delivered with smiles. We enjoyed our Gulfview corner room and all of the hotel's amenities. The beach was clean and groomed regularly. In terms of value, our holiday experience at the Helmsley could not be exceeded. Overall, we highly recommend this accomodation.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank blueherongal
Reviewed December 27, 2006

The Helmsley Sand Castle was a truely lovely place to stay.
It's Located on the 'quiet' end of Lido Key and the road there is peaceful and easy.

I must say the property is not new, but extremely well kept and maintained. The rooms were big and the beds were more than comfortable. We had ocean front with a lovely balcolny which had a table and 2 chairs on it. The view was a dream come true...the beach was impecable...ever so clean and kept up.

The food was wonderful! We had room service a number of times and the resteraunt was very very nice.

The service simple matched the wonderful mood of the property. I felt some sort of 'bug' coming on...and became very ill for the first day. I was freezing (I'm sure I had a fever) and called the front desk to tell them I just couldn't seem to get the room warm enough for me..2 minutes after I hung up, a kind gentleman was knocking at my door with a nice big space heater!

I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE. There's 2 pools, great food and a lovely ocean to keep all their guests content.
And if that weren't enough...the room was very reasonably priced.

I'm going back....and it can't be soon enough for me!

7  Thank Suzeequew
Reviewed November 28, 2006

This was our second stay at the Helmsley and yet again we loved it ok so its not the hilton regarding the rooms but the staff and the facilities outweigh that, when we go it is lovely and quiet with hardly any children (hooray) lots of other english people there so the word is spreading. The staff at the hotel actually get to know you and this is appreciated and whatever you need is provided to enjoy a relaxing holiday, also the food in the restaurant is on a par to the best restaurants in the area so often no need to travel to dine. will be back next year along with several other couples we met, who go back on a regular basis, please dont sell out to the big boys we like it just as your are.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LAURA7CANTONA
Reviewed October 28, 2006

In May 2006, my sister and I stayed at the HELMSLEY. We had a gulf front room and had a great time. The room was fairly large and clean, a little updating wouldn't hurt but it was comfortable! The restaurant was excellent, as was the pool area. For a quiet peaceful vacation this is the place to go. It has one of the best locations on Lido Beach for less money.The only downside is that don't have a shuttle. If you want to go into the shopping area they will provide a ride there, but you kinda hate to ask. Definately would stay there again!!!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank deborahs99
Reviewed September 9, 2006

I stayed at the helmsley hotel last year at the end of october and again this year at the end of august. The hotel is located next to the wide sandy beach. This place is so great, you have lovely spacious rooms with a huge balkony, 2 big double beds and a bathroom with shower and outside of the bathroom another wash basin. The courtyard is very green (well trimmed) with a shuffleboard place and a tabletennis place too. The staff is very friendly and helpful and there are 2pools. The menu (we had lunch there) at the poolside cafe offers you many choices and the prices are good. I will stay the the helmsely again, as soon as i will be back to florida.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
6  Thank darling99
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Well I was so suprised to hear of some of the complaints of this hotel ,we have been going hear for 3 years,staying here as our stop of doing our tour of the gulf coast and this is my favourite place,its PARADISE,beaches are lovely,poolside bar staff so lovely and always full of chat,the rooms are of old decor,but are very,very clean.the Beach is gorgeous and so very Quiet,sunsets in the evening are beautifull,not to be missed.The St Armand circle shops are expensive,but its so nice to stroll around,most folk do there shopping any way in Orlando,Eating out there,l did not find expensive,We are booked again for this Hotel for next year,after we do our trip to Miami,so it will be a chill out after that.So come on all you complainers out there,GET A LIFE.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple