“Really impressed after reading some of the reviews!”

Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
Kirkwood, Delaware
“Really impressed after reading some of the reviews!”
Reviewed June 22, 2005

We booked a Southwest Airlines package and this was the only beach-front hotel in the Sarasota area that was available in the package. After reading some of the reviews, we were anxious to see if we had made a mistake in booking this hotel. Quite the contrary! We were upgraded to a beach-front room that was spotless. The pools were sparkling and service was exceptional. While the outside is deceiving (it looks dated), the inside was wonderful. I have to say that if I was just driving around looking for a place to stay, I would not have chosen this hotel from the outside appearance. However, I am glad we stayed and we will be back. We also found it to be exceptionally quiet in the evenings even though the pool was open until 10 p.m. The only meal that we ate there was breakfast before leaving for the airport. It was good but the food cannot compare to the restaurants in St. Armands. For those who are planning to book a last-minute vacation, you do need to ask about Red Tide. Because of this, we were not able to go into the water. However, the beach was cleaned daily and cabanas were available for a reasonable fee.

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank SXMChick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
USA
Reviewed June 7, 2005

We were well pleased, with a, pretty, oversized room. It was very clean. We only had a minor problem with drip from AC, that was taken care of immediately. Staff was excellent, as well as, housekeeping, and, maintenance. Super friendly, and well advised, on places to eat, and shop, and directions. We couldn't be happier. Hotel could use a little updating, but we would definitely go back there again. Food was great, also. Everyone was so helpful. The only complaints we had, was that, towels could have been put out sooner in the morning, for pool, and, rules around pool area could have been better enforced, due to diving into pool, and , very upsetting, and disturbing, that, small little girls, being unclothed, around pool, running back and fourth, to room, naked. Better supervision for pool area. Also, enjoyed ,water floatations, in pool. Other than that...No complaints....Great Vacation, Great Hotel !!!!!!!

Stayed May 2005
4 Thank zevart
Reviewed June 4, 2005

Easter is one of the busiest times in florida and certainly at the Helmsley. This was my 15th year of coming here and as usual was not dissapointed. During the years the hotel may have changed, but the experience of relaxation and true paradise hasnt. What more could you want with the white sands, perfect for kids to play in and a generally safe environment. All the staff have worked there for as long as I have been going, and welcome us back graciously each year, truly like a second family.
Over the years there are others who like us just keep coming back, familiar faces and other children to play with. My daughter has grown up with her friends she meets each year at the Helmsley.
Everything you could need is there, the rooms are comfortable, but to be fair when going to florida you dont expect to spend a large amount of time in your room.
Also with places like tampa and orlando not too far away if you want a rest from the beach, theme parks are easily accesible for a day trip.

Overall I wouldnt dream of spending my easter anywhere else and will be continuing to go to the Helmsley for as long as I can.

• Stayed March 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Reviewed June 1, 2005

I thought the Helmsley was great. We got a gulfview room and took great sunset pictures! The room was very clean and the staff was very nice. I don't know why people expect a city style hotel with inside hallways at a beach location. Imagine all the sand that would have to be cleaned up! I am always pleased with a large, clean room and friendly people. I've had my fill of budget deals and bad continental breakfasts in past hotel experiences. We had a small refrigerator and a coffee maker and that's fine for me. We had a balcony that extended to the next room, but so what. It fit. And I will include the sunset pictures that I took from it.
I lived in Sarasota in 1970 and I was familiar with the area. Lido Beach is very nice. So is St. Armands circle. I think the Florida gulf coast is more people friendly than the east coast. You can get fined for not stopping for pedestrians. All parking at the beaches and at St. Armands circle is free.
It's a nice please to go. Ringling and Mote Aquarium are nice places to visit. Ringling art museum is free on Mondays.
I enjoyed my stay at the Helmsley Sandcastle and revisiting Sarasota after many years.

5 Thank Judy V
Reviewed April 25, 2005

Although the hotel was very pleasant and clean, it was mis represented. There are no activities for the children. Children were not allowed to sit at the bar, we we accepted but there was no where for them to sit if we wanted a drink at the bar. The children were not catered for at meal times and there wasn't a good selection of food and the food that is available is very over priced. It is not a 20 minute walk to St. Armands circle which is the nearest local shop/restaurant area.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Sarasota hotels

Reviewed April 7, 2005

We just returned from a stay at the sandcastle. It is not the most beautiful or updated hotel, but it is a great place to stay on a beautiful beach. The rooms are standard, but the food service in the hotel is easy and convenient. The service was good and the hotel as a whole was clean and well taken care of. We loved the ease of getting to the beach. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 5, 2005

I can't wait to get back to the Helmsley ! 5 weeks and counting, it will be the 5th time I have stayed there I love everything about it. The Gulf front rooms are heaven to walk out in the morning onto the beach and to not even worry about putting shoes on. Itis safe clean comfortable the staff are lovely the food is wonderful. everyone there just wants you to have a good holiday. The whole point of the Helmsley is that it is a beach hotel hence no long corridors and closed in walkways as stated by Hotel/motel! It is so laid back there you can't fail to relax. If you want entertainment St Armands is great for strolling around there are Flea Markets near by a Dog Track many resturants. Shopping Malls night clubs downtown Sports BArs showing English football golf courses boat trips from the marina Mote Marine just up the road I could go on forever.................

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
#6 of 49 in Sarasota
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
#4 of 49 in Sarasota

Been to Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach? Share your experiences!