We stayed 3 nights at the Helmsley Sandcastle in Oct. 2011 for our son's college Family Weekend. We had booked two rooms: one ocean-front, and another courtyard view for our adult daughter. Apparently, booking online is an issue for this hotel and reservations are faxed to the front desk and then put into the computer. Our reservations were not correct, but the staff was able to get us the ocean-front room. We had asked for king, but we had two doubles. Our daughter spent the first night in room 123, which had a terrible odor, probably mold because her allergies were awful in that room, the carpet was stained, and the room was worn out. They did move her to another room for the rest of our stay. Warning: avoid rooms 122-125. This is the original hotel, and it is awful! I did appreciate the staff's diligence in finding an available room for her to complete our stay.
My husband and I were in room 203, in the two-story section of the hotel. I will say that the beach is beautiful, and we enjoyed the view from our ocean-front room. The walls are thin, especially when there is an adjoining door. The bathroom was CLEAN! There was absolutely no mold/mildew in our shower, and I think housekeeping does a fantastic job--I can overlook a lot of faults when the room is this clean. Pillows are typically hard, but the bed wasn't the worst I've slept on. Balconies are shared with one room, but we never had a conflict. The door to the balcony has adjustable louvers, so we were able to sleep to the sound of the ocean waves.
Staff is generally friendly, beach bar is not great. Umbrellas are $10/day, but I don't mind that. We avoided the restaurants here, based on other reviewers. St Armand's circle has a Starbucks, and great food options for lunch (Columbia is great) The beach is kept very clean, and if you're on a budget, the Helmsley would be a great option. We won't stay here again, however.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A tropical paradise at the Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach in Sarasota, FloridaSandcastle Resort at Lido Beach has a relaxing sunny resort flavor, with a storybook seaside setting on a 600 foot strand of private, natural white sand beach on the Gulf of Mexico.Sun. Sand. Swaying Palm Trees. And Great Service, Too. You'll be treated to thoughtful touches, such as a morning newspaper and a small refrigerator for chilling beverages and snacks. Free wifi is also available throughout the property. Plus the pleasures of outdoor dining for both breakfast and lunch are virtually right outside your door. What's more, our recreation staff can provide personalized sailing lessons. There's a convenient Gift Shop on premises and we're within easy walking distance of popular St. Armands Circle, with its fine shopping and entertainment attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Preferred Hotels, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Helmsley Sandcastle Sarasota
- Sarasota Helmsley Sandcastle
- Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel Sarasota