“Beautiful View!”

Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had the pleasure of visiting Lido Beach this past week. We decided to stay at the Holiday Inn w/my husband's travel points. You couldn't ask for a better view!

The hotel is a bit dated-but the great service from the staff more than made up for that! We needed additional pillows & they were delivered w/in 10 mins. We also ordered room service & that as well was delivered in less than 15 mins. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet on the 7th floor over looking the beach. The hotel also has beach chairs in the lobby for it's guests to take to the beach. It was only about 70 degrees when we were there-so we didn't use the pool-but maybe next time!

The hotel is w/in walking distance of St. Armands Circle which offers so many great specialty shops & restaurants. But the absolute best part was that this hotel is situated on street that the beach is off of. So you walk out of the hotel & across the street & there is the beach!

Room Tip: 5th floor & below you have a balcony on ocean side that you can sit on & enjoy the ocean vie...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kymberley M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for sharing such a positive review of our hotel. We have a great staff and a great location - and we are very proud of both! We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Great location- across the street from the beautiful beach and a short walk to St. Armand's square. We didn't eat the at the hotels restaurant, but next time would probably choose the breakfast included option, as there are few places for breakfast nearby. The room was very comfortable, even if a little dated. The view from our Gulf side room was beautiful, worth the extra money.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a Gulf view.
1  Thank JeanCTConnecticut
Kymberley M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

We appreciate your praise of our property and location - and know that you will find great changes in 2013!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last year and was amazed at the value given location. I returned during same week as last year. I feel the same as last year. Amazing view at an amazing price. Very friendly, helpful and engaging staff. Very accomodating.

Room is clean, food is decent. Bathroom is a little cramped, but very clean. Only oddity is stale smell in room but the sliding glass door helped with that. My room rate was incorrect at checkin but corrected without issue.

I would stay here again. Price unbeatable for unobstructed view of Gulf with clean room. Also beach is powdery white - really nice. I am a discerning traveler now on a budget and very much appreciate my lovely stay. Nice not to sacrifice everything when on a budget.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank dctraveler6010

Thank you! We hope to see you in 2013.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife and I booked a one night stay on the beachfront property to enjoy Christmas Day in Sarasota. Upon walking up to the property it was clear this is an older property, however the accommodations were very pleasing. Adam Simard exceeded our expectations and upon learning it was our 20 year anniversary really went above and beyond the call of duty. The bar service was also very warm and welcoming in addition to the restaurant on the 7th floor. The food and service was 5 star. It is apparent that the General Manager, Kym has an incredible team and should be proud to work with the staff that has the genuine care and comfort of their guests in their minds at all times. We will return for sure.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms have a spectacular view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Efrem C
Kymberley M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Wow! Thank you! We really love to hear when we get it right. We are blessed with a talented and thoughtful team, who will go out of their way to make our guests happy. Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again.
Best,

Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel is located literally across the (quiet and minor) street from the public beach, and five minutes' walk from St. Armands Circle - an area of upmarket retail and restaurant businesses. The area is quiet and beautiful - ideal for a beach holiday.

The reception area is large and our welcome from the staff was friendly and efficient. We were acknowledged as IHG Platinum cardholders and our booking for a basic room was upgraded, free of extra charge, to a substantially larger room overlooking the ocean. All the staff we encountered, including at reception and at breakfast, were attentive and friendly.

The hotel has the standard features you would expect from a full-service property; bar, restaurant, health and fitness centre, outdoor pool, and there is complimentary WiFi throughout which was fast and effective.

Standard rooms are large enough and reasonably clean. The room we enjoyed was a good 30% larger than standard - huge in fact - and perhaps because of this size, appeared a little spartan. The addition of a sofa (for which there was plenty of space) might have given a feeling of even greater comfort and luxury. The decor was clean enough except for the ceiling which appeared in need of a fresh coat of paint. This, coupled with oldish fitments in the room itself and the bathroom gave a somewhat "tired" impression. I'd say this property's rooms are quite overdue for some expenditure.

In common with Holiday Inns in the US generally, the 6 ft.bed was excellent, enhanced by the "pillow menu" - a choice of four very different types which should suit most. Standard equipment including TV, coffee maker, refrigerator, iron, hairdryer etc., were all present and correct. Rooms in the hotel overlook the (free) car park on one side and the beach and ocean on the other. I gather the ocean view commands a small price premium. The hotel and rooms are air-conditioned throughout and the entire property is non-smoking. Adjoining rooms have interconnecting doors, so two or more rooms can be made into a "suite" of sorts to accomodate a larger group.

Breakfast is not normally included in room rates; it can be pre-purchased as part of an inclusive package, or can be bought as required. Two levels of service are offered; a full a la carte range, and a buffet. The price of the latter includes beverages and all you care to eat from a limited range of standing hot and cold food, plus an omelette station offering freshly cooked to order eggs in various guises. The inclusive rate allows a maximum value of $15 per person (at the time of writing) which will just about cover the buffet, but would struggle to cover much from the (expensive) a la carte selection. If bought separately, I'd describe the breakfast proposition as way over priced. The package rate we paid was good enough, though. I didn't notice any obvious other places in the immediate area where one might take breakfast, so I'd say that options are very limited. We did not take dinner in the hotel.

We stayed at an off-peak time. Room rates here vary hugely. Even at the time we stayed, we paid over $185 per night (including breakfast and all taxes etc.) which is probably around double what a similar property in the city of Orlando (for example) would cost. I did note that at busier times, one can pay substantially more here for a basic room. I have little doubt this is solely because of the location, and the fact there are very few other hotels in such an advantageous position, but given that the hotel is, as I say, a little "tired" and overdue for some serious refurbishment work, I have to say that it's not good value. I think the owners should look to spend some of that high revenue on their property.

In summary, this is an expensive place to stay but the location of the hotel is idyllic, offering unobstructed views of the Gulf - the sunset is spectacular - and the area itself is delightful. The rooms are good enough but overdue for refurbishment, and beds are very comfortable. The breakfast proposition is expensive, unless pre-purchased as part of an inclusive rate. And our IHG Platinum status was properly acknowledged with a complimentary room upgrade. There very few alternatives in the area, and, as we didn't experience any problems as such with our stay, this has to represent a reasonable choice for this location.

1  Thank SCAN60

We welcome your very honest feedback. We know we have a special location as well as a special service team. And we are working on the standards and condition of our rooms as well.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I needed a place for a 1 night honeymoon that was on the beach. With a real tight budet I was lucky I had Priorty Club points for this hotel. But the many bad reviews worried me. So I went to check it out 3 days in advance. I spoke with a woman at the front desk and told her about my concerns. She offered me the Honeymoon Suite for $185, which I couldn't afford. Being a Platinum member she assured me I would get a beach view and an updated room using points. So I was given a key and checked out the room. It was nice and had been updated. So I told her I would make the reservation online and this was for a one night honeymoon. I even wrote honemoon in the special request box while making my online reservation.

So on the night of check-in the same woman greeted us. No real warm welcome or "Congratulations". Not a big deal, but not exactly the kind of customer service a hotel owner would want from their employee. But it gets MUCH worse.

OK, I know this isn't the Hilton or Hyatt. But what a shock I felt upon entering the room. There was NO acknowledgement of our honeymoon. Not even a mint! I mean, c'mon, this is a hotel on Lido Beach! I will admit that the room was bigger than the one I looked at 3 days before.

Suprisingly, the room was already starting to show it's age and was a pretty cheaply done ReFresh compared to other Holiday Inn's I've stayed at over the last couple of years. (All Holiday Inns are doing what's called a "ReFresh" update of the rooms.)

But the dissapointment doesn't end there. Hard rain came down and ruined our plan for a walk along the beach. So we decided to watch TV. But because this hotel uses Direct TV, the signal went out and no channels worked. It came back for 20 minutes only to be lost again when an even bigger storm happened. That did leave only one thing left to do....

The next day I asked for a 4pm check-out per Platinum membership. The 2 young girls at the desk said the hotel policy was 2pm and I would have to pay a charge to stay until 4pm. I told them the Platinum policy was 4pm. They told me that was only "if available". So I asked if the hotel was sold out on a Tuesday night and they said no. So I said, "Well then, I guess you have availabilty then." They said they didn't. I then mentioned it was our honeymoon and can we at least get 3pm so we have time for lunch and a swim. They said yes, but not a minute more as they needed time to clean the room.

So I guess those stories I've heard about hotels going out of their way for a honeymoon couple are just urban legand. Or just not at the Holiday-Inn Lido Beach.

2  Thank bpdogs
Kymberley M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

We appreciate your very honest comments. All of us regret that we did not take the opportunity to congratulate you on your special day, as we are in practice of doing that, especially for our Platinum Priority Club Members. While we acknowledge that we are not the newest property, we have a long history of outstanding service to our guests, and feel badly that you did not get that recognition while here. Thank you for sharing your concerns. Best Wishes.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend for three nights. The front desk staff were very helpful and nice. The restaurant staff (at the pool bar and the upstairs restaurant) were lacking. It seemed like we were bothering them even asking for a menu or a drink.
I would not recommend the breakfast buffet. Very limited variety for the price. It was more like a complimentary breakfast served at other hotels, but you were charged over $13 per person.
The rooms are comfortable. Great bedding and pillows! I slept really well here.
The bathrooms are small, but clean. The rooms and hotel in general seem to have aged since we were there 10 years ago. But overall the grounds and rooms were clean, and staff was overall nice.

Room Tip: The "city view" rooms come with sliding doors and a balcony as well. I'd save money on...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MN_Mom07
Kymberley M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We have recently added an omlet station to our breakfast buffet, as well as other items. We think you will find it more complete and more of a value. We continue to work to improve service through out the hotel. Thank you for recognizing the talents at our front desk. Kind Regards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
#1 of 50 in Sarasota
Tropical Beach Resorts
Tropical Beach Resorts
#3 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach? Share your experiences!