“Clueless Staff”

Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
Ranked #15 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I needed a place for a 1 night honeymoon that was on the beach. With a real tight budet I was lucky I had Priorty Club points for this hotel. But the many bad reviews worried me. So I went to check it out 3 days in advance. I spoke with a woman at the front desk and told her about my concerns. She offered me the Honeymoon Suite for $185, which I couldn't afford. Being a Platinum member she assured me I would get a beach view and an updated room using points. So I was given a key and checked out the room. It was nice and had been updated. So I told her I would make the reservation online and this was for a one night honeymoon. I even wrote honemoon in the special request box while making my online reservation.

So on the night of check-in the same woman greeted us. No real warm welcome or "Congratulations". Not a big deal, but not exactly the kind of customer service a hotel owner would want from their employee. But it gets MUCH worse.

OK, I know this isn't the Hilton or Hyatt. But what a shock I felt upon entering the room. There was NO acknowledgement of our honeymoon. Not even a mint! I mean, c'mon, this is a hotel on Lido Beach! I will admit that the room was bigger than the one I looked at 3 days before.

Suprisingly, the room was already starting to show it's age and was a pretty cheaply done ReFresh compared to other Holiday Inn's I've stayed at over the last couple of years. (All Holiday Inns are doing what's called a "ReFresh" update of the rooms.)

But the dissapointment doesn't end there. Hard rain came down and ruined our plan for a walk along the beach. So we decided to watch TV. But because this hotel uses Direct TV, the signal went out and no channels worked. It came back for 20 minutes only to be lost again when an even bigger storm happened. That did leave only one thing left to do....

The next day I asked for a 4pm check-out per Platinum membership. The 2 young girls at the desk said the hotel policy was 2pm and I would have to pay a charge to stay until 4pm. I told them the Platinum policy was 4pm. They told me that was only "if available". So I asked if the hotel was sold out on a Tuesday night and they said no. So I said, "Well then, I guess you have availabilty then." They said they didn't. I then mentioned it was our honeymoon and can we at least get 3pm so we have time for lunch and a swim. They said yes, but not a minute more as they needed time to clean the room.

So I guess those stories I've heard about hotels going out of their way for a honeymoon couple are just urban legand. Or just not at the Holiday-Inn Lido Beach.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bpdogs
Kymberley M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

We appreciate your very honest comments. All of us regret that we did not take the opportunity to congratulate you on your special day, as we are in practice of doing that, especially for our Platinum Priority Club Members. While we acknowledge that we are not the newest property, we have a long history of outstanding service to our guests, and feel badly that you did not get that recognition while here. Thank you for sharing your concerns. Best Wishes.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend for three nights. The front desk staff were very helpful and nice. The restaurant staff (at the pool bar and the upstairs restaurant) were lacking. It seemed like we were bothering them even asking for a menu or a drink.
I would not recommend the breakfast buffet. Very limited variety for the price. It was more like a complimentary breakfast served at other hotels, but you were charged over $13 per person.
The rooms are comfortable. Great bedding and pillows! I slept really well here.
The bathrooms are small, but clean. The rooms and hotel in general seem to have aged since we were there 10 years ago. But overall the grounds and rooms were clean, and staff was overall nice.

Room Tip: The "city view" rooms come with sliding doors and a balcony as well. I'd save money on...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MN_Mom07
Kymberley M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We have recently added an omlet station to our breakfast buffet, as well as other items. We think you will find it more complete and more of a value. We continue to work to improve service through out the hotel. Thank you for recognizing the talents at our front desk. Kind Regards.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Beautiful location, very friendly service, good food (try the pot roast - umm!). As the other reviews note, it could use some updating, but it is clean and well maintained. For the price I don't think you can find a better value. The view from the 7th floor restaurant is priceless!. You won't regret spending your money here!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kymberley M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Thank you! We so appreciate knowing when we get it right for our guests!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I am a Priority Club Platinum member, which means I stay in Holiday Inn's all over the country. This particular property is by far the worst Holiday Inn I have visited. The Hotel was worn out - the roof at the entrance is rusted out and needs replaced. Metal fixtures in the rooms were rusted and decaying. The carpet in the room was old and stained. The furniture in the balcony was cheap. The shower and bathroom were tiny. This property was no doubt nice in the 70's and 80's - but it needs a complete overhaul immediately. The view is awesome, but not that beautiful that I would overlook everything else.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Kymberley M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

We recognize that we are an older property, and that much work is needed. Those steps are being taken by our ownership. We work hard to keep what we have in the best condition possible and regret that you did not find it that way.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is a late review from 2010 but visiting again in April so prompted me. Hotel is in a great location a few steps across the road to the beach and lovely warm sea and about 3 mins walk round to St Armand's Circle. Great views of the beach from your balcony.

Hotel satisfied our needs, clean, great location say no more.

The Cunninghams

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Kymberley M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

We thank you for your kind words! Still a great spot for you to enjoy!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here for one night. Across the street from the beach and a very short walk to St. Armand's Circle. The room was exactly as the last couple of reviews said. Hotel definitely needs some updating especially the bathroom. The vanity was chipped and looked dirty. If you go to St. Armand's Circle for dinner, The Columbia Restaurant is great.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Kymberley M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you. We are working hard to improve our guest rooms. And know that you will see a difference on your next visit.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel is dated, BUT has many positives. It is clean, in the best location to shops and the beach, and has great views to the gulf/lido beach! If you are looking for a 5 star fancy hotel, this isn't it. But if you need a clean quiet room, you'll love it here. We got room service twice, we loved the cinnamon french toast, yummy! The hotel lobby smells so good! They have beach chairs you can use which were very handy. Free parking in the back for our rental car. We will definitely be back.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Great! Thank you! Happy to know that you enjoyed your visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
#1 of 51 in Sarasota
Tropical Beach Resorts
Tropical Beach Resorts
#3 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach? Share your experiences!