“We really wanted the Ritz but I could not click on $600 a night”
Review of Lido Beach Resort

Lido Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
Albany, New York
“We really wanted the Ritz but I could not click on $600 a night”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I opted for the Lido Beach Resort as a second choice because it is located very close on the same beach as the Ritz's beach club. It cost $200 a night less for a airy junior suite that looked out over the pool area and ocean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hot tubs, beach towel service, two pools, tiki bar, coin laundry for guests and cafe were all good Amenities like popcorn, bottled water, Tommy Bahamas cosmetics, and Kurig coffee all were appreciated. The Sunday brunch was too expensive and drinks at the bar needed paper umbrellas, but I would go back here anytime. I read other reviews here and do not recognize the hotel I stayed at. Maybe the result of the renovation those reviews all mention??

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank r2croak
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay. Although we have not renovated the rooms as of yet, the South Tower Junior suites remain a very popular option for many people. My hope is you will return again in the future to see the changes we will be making. Thank you again for your review, it is very much appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
Marlborough, Massachusetts, Usa
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Dirty, outdated and just plain disgusting! Do not ruin your vacation by staying here. We checked in for a four night stay last week. When checking in I asked if there was a better room available but was told that we had the best available room (#1001 in the south tower). The room had one window that did not open at all and it overlooked the 8 story section of the building. Our view was of the vents for the kitchen equipment! The refrigerator did not work. We were thankful that we had not been to the supermarket yet or our food would have spoiled. The second day they replaced the refrigerator with one that worked but was very old and rusty. We requested a room change and was told that the resort was full. When we complained a second time we were moved to the older section of the resort to a room that was gulf front (#441) but very old, dirty and dated. They only thing in this room that has been updated in the last 30+ years was the carpet and the toilet! Other than that everything was old and in need of replacement (cracked tiles, chipped paint, old furniture, moldy shower curtain, poor Wi-Fi connection, toaster that did not work, ceiling fan with black dirt on the blades, no radio/alarm clock, poor quality picture on the TV, etc). The elevators in the 4 story building smelled very badly and were so dirty - we took the stairs!. The entire place needs a complete renovation to bring it up to resort quality. When we were checking out - we noticed the dirty torn carpet in the staff's office area. How can this place charge $300+ a night for a room? Book somewhere else and save your vacation!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Barbara B
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort. I can certainly understand your disappointment based on some of the items you mentioned. I apologize everything was not clean and in working order as it should be. The hotel is working towards a major renovation, later this year, if all goes according to plan. I am hopeful you will give us another opportunity in the future to earn your business. Thank you for your comments, they will certainly be used to improve our service delivery.
Pleasant Prairie
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed at Suntide condo for one week the end of January. We had a few rain days but the other days were glorious. This was a wonderful beach. Every day I would walk two miles picking up shells and sand dollars. We went to St. Armand's Circle for drinks a few nights, expensive but fun. Used the pool and hot tub. Great. Cooked hamburgers and grilled ham and cheese. There were grills all around for cooking outside or stoves inside. Mondays treat day was fun. They served muffins and rolls with juice. On Wednesday we were served two hot dogs, beans, chips, fruit, and pop. They also had a shuffle board, ping pong table and foosball table.. Everyone was extremely friendly. We went to Longboat Key. We should have travelled farther down the coast to see more of the sights. Next time. I'd go back to this resort in a heartbeat. I loved it!!! :-)

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be great but I would like one on the bottom floor nearest the Gulf.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terry A
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for your review, but I believe you may be reviewing a different hotel, as we do not offer outdoor cooking.
Philadelphia
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The facilities and staff are good. But, if you don't get a renovated room the accommodations could be poor. Our first room had torn and dirty carpets. The tiles in the bathroom were cracked so badly, you could cut you feet. Check out the room before you open your bags!!!

Our second room was great. All new floors and bath. Ask for a Jr. Suite facing the pool.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Traveler186
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort. I am very sorry you experienced some issues in your first room. Unfortunately, we have only 4 model rooms completed in the entire hotel. We are working on plans to renovate all rooms in the near future. The expectation is that all rooms will have the look and feel of the second room you enjoyed. I hope you will return again in the future to see the changes we will be making. Thank you again for your review.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed this past weekend at the Lido Beach "Resort" in Sarasota. I had read about different quality levels on rooms that were renovated vs. those that weren't, and at check in I asked for an updated room. Well, I am assuming that we didn't get one because the room looked very dated. It was room 145, on the ground floor right by the pool. The bad news is that there were windows on the side facing the bar and on the back facing the pool. In both cases we had to keep the black out curtains closed because there were people directly on the other side of the glass that could look into our room. We could also hear their conversations. In addition to a generally dated feeling, there were several cracked floor tiles, a few walls that appeared to be crumpling, cobwebs all over the curtains, etc. (see my photos for evidence). Let's just say that for well over two hundred dollars a night I expect a higher standard of room. The maid service came on the second day and she did replace the towels, but did not provide any more products (shampoo, conditioner or lotion), even though I had used a good amount of them. She also didn't do anything about the cobwebs on the curtains. The beach bar was nice and we had generally good service there. We were leaving on Sunday - and let me say that the place seemed pretty empty - and they would not budge at all on the noon check out. In all, I was pretty disappointed with this hotel and I certainly didn't feel that it was worth the amount that I spent. Next time I would spend a bit more and stay at the Ritz.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room and a higher floor. Although that didn't work for me.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank purplejenn11
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort. I apologize for the issues you cited. We are working towards renovating every room in the hotel but that certainly is no excuse for a lack of cleaning and service. I would love to speak with you personally regarding your stay. I am hopeful you will reach out to me directly. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your comments.
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed January 25, 2014

***Location***:
Very good. It is good for europeans, who like to walk. Armands Circle - a very nice roundabout, lots of places to seat, smoke a cigar, restaurant, bars, shopping - 15 mins walking from the lobby.
25 mins drive to Bradenton Airport, 1 hr to Tampa International. Sometimes you have to add max 15 mins for traffic.

***Beach***:
Very nice beach for hotel guests only, accessible directly from pool & bar, free chairs on the beach.

***Pool***
There are three. The biggest, heated - you can take your children to, the other two incl. jacuzzi are for +18 only.

***Food***
1) Bar by the pool - if you care for your weight - ceasar's salad with chicken, no dressing - perfect
2) Breakfast - if you care for your weight - smoked salmon platter
3) Dinner - restaurant on the top - beautiful view on the skyline, perfect for romantic dinner, grilled lamb or fish, good wine list

***Rooms***
Small double rooms with a view to the parking - you can't open the window, AC only even, when there is breathable air outside. Shame.
No hotel TV. No payTV system. Only 2 channels for kids with terrible cartoons, only Sponge Bob acceptable ;-)
Coffe machine was fine.
Apts in the tower - perfect for 2+1, but expensive.

***Crew***
Very nice and helpful.
Overall - perfect for 1 week stay in Sarasota

Room Tip: Take the tower
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for spending a week with us here at the Lido Beach Resort and for your review of the hotel. I appreciate your comments very much as I will use them to continue to improve our offerings. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay! Thank you again for your feedback!
Merrimac, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed here for a business meeting. The staff was very friendly; check-in was speedy. The view from the rooms was amazing. People were walking on the beach and surfing in the Gulf even with the cold outside temperature. We were in Room 6007. The gentleman at the front desk told us to drive our car up to the 6th floor parking ramp. Made it easy to carry our luggage to our room. The bed was comfortable. There was a floor tile right in front of the kitchen sink that was loose. The bathroom has some water damage due to the shower design. The room temperature was good even though it was 50 deg outside. The omelets in the restaurant were very good. The catered lunches were good. The conference room temperature was very cold the first day. There is great shopping and dinning within a mile of the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I certainly appreciate your comments so we may continue to improve the hotel. Hopefully you can return for a more leisurely visit. We would love to see you return again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
Hotel Indigo Sarasota
Hotel Indigo Sarasota
#4 of 49 in Sarasota
Best Western Plus Siesta Key Gateway

Been to Lido Beach Resort? Share your experiences!