“Great Place, but not cheep”
Review of Lido Beach Resort

Lido Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Stayed based upon other reviews and other reviews are on the money. Great Beach. Stayed in 1 bdrm OF and it was large with a view of the Gulf that was to die for.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank noreaster_2000
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2008

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. We appreciate your comments and hope you will choose the Lido Beach Resort in the future when your travel plans include Sarasota.

Reviewed April 24, 2008

My wife made the booking; my mother-in-law previewed the property since she lives nearby. On arrival, I checked into the room and the others went to the beach. When they eventually saw the room there was much distress: it didn't match the room that had been previewed, wasn't as nicely appointed, etc. They talked to the manager but he couldn't placate them.

I was *not* in the mood to deal with this but finally agreed to go down and see the manager, expecting to lose my temper.

The manager Blake couldn't have been nicer. It took me about 10 seconds to completely de-stress. He made several offers to compensate us for the mix-up in our booking. I give the property 4 stars on the manager's willingness to satisfy the customer quickly.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2008

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I am sorry you had to experience a challenge during your stay, however, I am happy to hear how Blake resolved your issue. I will be sure to share your comments with Blake. Thank you again for taking the time to complete a review. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed April 24, 2008

Beautiful beach: spacious pools with plenty of chairs, tables with umbrellas; Courteous staff throughout the resort, who go out of their way to accommodate the guests: A well run facility without being constantly surrounded by staff members hounding you; clean and spacious suites that are fresh and newly decorated; access to parking lot from room floor; a real getaway to relieve stress ( some places create stress - not this one! ) Complimentary coffee/tea each morning in the lobby, which I loved! Clean, well-managed and super friendly!

If I were to make a suggestion, it would be to have a morning take-out area in the hotel, for guests to get cereal, muffins or bagels, as opposed to sitting in the restaurant each morning. Some mornings, you like to head right out to the pool or beach. I suppose getting room service would accomplish the same thing!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2008

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. We love hearing from our guests and your review will certainly be shared with the staff. We look forward to your return in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience!

Reviewed April 14, 2008

We got home Thursday night and want to go back already! My fiancee and I took my 72 year old mother. We had a room on the side of the tower and the view was beautiful, we could see the beach and the bay! My mom raved about the big balcony and spent a good deal of time sitting out there reading and enjoying the view.
The staff was amazing. Everyone was friendly and accomodating. Felix the bartender in Cafe Lido was great!
My mom uses a walker and she was worried about climbing aboard the shuttle bus, but the bus drivers were helpful and got her on with no problem! They quickly picked us up from Armand Circle when we called.
Although I love kids, I was glad they had their own pool area! I enjoyed swimming in a pool that was just for adults! It was rarely crowded and close to the Tiki bar!
We also enjoyed sitting downstairs in the shaded area every morning while drinking our coffee. It was also a nice spot to sit in the evening with a bottle of wine!
The girls at the front desk were so helpful and friendly and I appreciated them helping me with directions. I picked up a few items in the gift shop and the young woman who helped me out in the shop was so sweet!
Overall we had a very nice time. Calm and relaxing which is what we were after!!

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2008

Thank you for taking the time share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. We truly appreciate your comments. I will be sure to share your review with the staff, especially, Felix, the front desk, and the gift shop staff. They all love hearing from our guests. We look forward to your return in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed April 12, 2008

After seeing all of the positive reviews of this resort on this website (which we have used to book many trips in the past), I have to say that we had pretty high expectations. I gave this a 'neutral' rating, because there were some positives. However, the negatives left me feeling that I probably will not return to this resort again unless it is the only option for us, OR if we were able to secure ONLY an oceanside room in the south tower (some of the negatives were because were in the other building).

POSITIVES:
*Nice pool and beach area--plenty of room for everyone, even during a busy time.
*Good food/drinks at the Tiki Bar--good place for lunch.
*Close proximity to shops and lots of dining options
*Good coffee in the lobby in the morning
*Room items replenished daily (bottled water, etc.)

NEGATIVES:
*Ants in our room (in the kitchen area--we had to store everything in the refrigerator)
*Broken telephone in our room
*Refrigerator that opens on the wrong side (ie handles are on the right, but it opens on the left, so you have to move a chair in order to open it at all)
*Poor service in the restaurant
*LOUD noise from the hotel bar at night--well past 1am
*LOUD noise from the parking structure (motorcycles, car horns, etc. at all hours)
*Rooms that are in the smaller building are said to have a balcony--the balcony is actually the walkway everyone uses with two chairs. The problem is, you can never open your drapes because everyone walking by can see directly into your room--therefore, you never see the outside when you're in your room (problem only if you are staying in the smaller building, and not oceanside)
*Staff was neutral--some extremely friendly, some just ignored you.

Overall, I think there are some things management can do to make this resort a more pleasant stay for their guests--some are just simply 'quality control' issues that could be easily fixed. I can see why people stay here, but our feelings were not as positive upon our departure.

• Check in / front desk

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I can certainly understand your disappointment citing some of the items you mentioned in your review. I am very sorry your stay was not as you expected. I would love the opportunity to handle a future reservation for you in the tower in hopes you would give us another chance to exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to make those arrangements. Thank you again for your comments and suggestions.

Reviewed April 10, 2008

We stayed at LBR for 3 nights in a beachfront junior suite.
We were initially scheduled for 2 nights and was able to check in a day early without any questions or problems. The reservation and front desk staff are very professional/ friendly and very customer service oriented. Complimentary morning coffee service in the lobby was nice touch although we didn't realize it was there until day#3. I would suggest that the check in staff let the guests know of this service.

The suite was great..not ultra fancy but very clean . It provided us with just about everything we needed. One comment would be that a full size coffee pot would be more appropriate, rather that the tiny one provided. Housekeeping was great and provided us with daily H20 bottles, chocolate mint candies and package of micro popcorn. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony in the morning w/our coffee and evening w.cocktails for the sunset.

The internet access was a little slow in our room. This could be upgraded as my husband was not able to do everything he needed to do on his laptop.

The property has great beachfront, pool, hot-tub..plenty of tables, chairs, lounges. There is a nice covered area near the koi pond with alot of furniture for those who want to stay out of the sun..but still have a nice place to relax. Another nice option is the adult only pool and area. Gift shop is small, but has pretty much everything you may need.

We did not eat at any of the restaurants on the property. We took full advantage of the free shuttle to St Armands Circle and ate there. The shuttle staff was superb and we never waited more than 2-3 mins either way for a ride. We walked a few times also...approx 10 minutes. We loved Columbia Restaurant, Tommy Bahamas, Le Colonne(italian) and Crab/Fins. Don't leave there w/out getting an ice cream at Kilwins-homemade and delicious .You'll know it's reputation when you see the line out the door.

One suggestion I would have is to make the pool area and tiki bar non-smoking. Being from Massachusetts where most places are non-smoking now, this was very annoying. There was one guest sitting on edge of pool, smoking, cigarette butts were left near the hot tub and heavy smoking activity at the bar. We would have spent more time there, but were unable to tolerate the smoke. Maybe a smoking area outside the fence on the end of the beach before the rocks would be better( and healthier for us non-smokers!!)

All in all, we loved LBR- great atmosphere, nice quality resort
and wonderful staff. We will return and tell others also.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and review the Lido Beach Resort. We truly appreciate your comments and will certainly consider some of your suggestions. We look forward to your return in the future. Thank you again for your comments and suggestions!

Reviewed April 8, 2008

This is the third time we have stayed at this complex, the last time being in March 2007 now March 2008.

It is still THE place to stay in Sarasota but probably because of all the praise this hotel has had in the past I feel the management could be getting just a little complacent and are letting standards fall.

The staff through out are brilliant, the rooms great (more to follow) the setting fantastic and so convenient for everything but the general maintenance of the property is slipping.

We had a room (4007) in the tower block, a Jr Suite. Good size over all with moderate view over the pool to fantastic sunsets. The noise from the pool was very intrusive as was the sound of the fridge in the ajoining kitchen and the sound of the toilets flushing from the many floors above. The bathroom, of excellent size, and facilities was spoiled by a water leak of very long standing, from the shower. This resulted in mold and rotting wood not only by the shower but also the bathroom door frame and floor area. There was also an odd smell in the shower when not used for a few hours. We requested a room change or even paying for upgrade, "sorry we are fully booked" was the reply, this I very much doubt.

We contemplated checking out but stayed as the possition of the hotel is so fantastic.

On two occasions we went to the Cafe Lido for meals, very below standard is the only discription I can give, certainly better eating anywhere in St. Armands Circle and less cost.

Christophers Restaurant has gone to be replaced by a Grill Room, we visited but did not stay, the area was filled with convensioneers from some company or other. Americans are known to be loud in a charming way but this lot were obnoxious.

Looking out over the pool area I noticed that the same light that was not working in 2007 was still not working in 2008, other things like the Koi Pond being so green the fish could not be seen and slight smelt added to the feeling of complacency and neglect on the part of the management of the hotel.

The hotel in one year has gone from an excellent family hotel to a good family hotel and has appearantly moved into the corporate hospitality sector, much to its detriment, though hard times in America make needs must and this departure may be beyond managements control, but the general standard of upkeep is not.

I still fully recommend this hotel to Families but not to those wanting nightlife, Sarasota as a whole has none, and also recommend it to those of mature years. 75yr olds will feel juvenille when walking in the circle, this is no detriment at all, the area is charming and very gentile. And VERY child safe.

The pool is now split into Family Pool, the larger one, and Adult Pool, the very slightly smaller one, great idea. But the "Germans" were there every morning by 7.30, towels all over the place, no people, and most never turned up until afternoon to claim the sunbeds so decorasly reserved. Good management would have removed these towels as lost property when the pool officially opened.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mgsh
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2008

Thank you for taking the time share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. We truly appreciate your feedback. I can assure you there is no sense of complaceny. We realize we must continually strive to improve our property in all aspects to ensure our success. I will certainly share your observations with the staff to correct the items you mentioned. I apologize for any inconveniece you experienced during your stay. Thank you again for your comments.