“Update: Hotel needs work”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Lido Beach Resort

Lido Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
Pittsburgh, PA
“Update: Hotel needs work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

Have been staying at Lido Beach Resort since 2005/2006. A couple of years ago the ownership changed hands, and this once-perfect hotel has been deteriorating ever since. Hotel rooms still have fabulous views (which is why they still charge $$$ for the rooms), but I agree with MonicaUk - for the money, you'd expect clean, updated rooms that look like they've been maintained. Just returned from a short stay in a Gulf-front room. Mold surrounded the shower, a door was hanging off the cabinet in the kitchenette, and the tiles in the bathroom were sunken and broken. Halls smelled moldy, covered up with automatic spray freshener.

NOTE: I was told that they will start charging an extra $20/day for a "resort fee." For what?? The pool, like any other hotel has? Be sure to ask about that before you book!

Room Tip: Stay in South Tower - other building is a motel-like 4-story
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
Thank you for sharing your thoughts during your recent visit at the Lido Beach Resort. I am very sorry your visit was not up to our normal standards. The hotel is working towards a renovation in the future, but specifics have not been finalized as of yet. It is true, the hotel will be adding a resort fee beginning January 1st, 2012, that will cover a variety of services and amenities added to what we already offer. I am hopeful you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future. As soon as we are able to update renovation plans, we certainly will. Thank you again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

The service and staff were lovely - especially the lady who served us breakfast.

As a family, we loved the kitchenette which meant we could have breakfast with our little one in the morning without the big expense ($40-ish per day for breakfast at the hotel - not bad in itself and we had it twice, but over a week it all adds up!) and also shop at the nearly Wholefoods store for a few nights in.

The hotel breakfast was good and tasty (although we felt it would be expensive to eat there every day) and the Tiki Bar by the fab beach did excellent food.

A slightly scruffy, dated decor - and I personally didn't think the room was the cleanest (I ended up squishing at least 3 crawly beetley type things that week, crawling across the carpet) but the home comforts with the dishwasher and kitchenette, a fab travel hairdryer that was really powerful and cosy wide beds, were excellent.

A very basic hotel gym was also of use - but it's got little equipment, so don't expect anything fancy, and the exercise balls were sunken/deflated.

I think I'd probably try elsewhere if we came here again, tbh...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort. I appreciate your comments and will work to address the issues you cited. Hopefully, you will give us another opportunity if your travels return you to the Sarasota area.
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I had put a lot of effort in organising our holiday from the UK to Florida (Orlando and Sarasota). Everything went to plan until I arrived at the hotel to find the beachfront suite I had booked had been cancelled as the credit card I used to book months previously had just expired. Not a great start but partially my fault. However, the reception staff were helpful and upgraded us to a larger suite (although not beachfront) at the same price. I was still very disappointed about not having a beachfront room though as this was the only reason I had chosen this hotel. We had almost stayed at the Hyatt.
The room was spacious and clean but could do with a bit of TLC. There were quite a few odd jobs that could be carried out. Just small things but they add up. Things like ripped/scraped wallpaper, leaking shower doors, broken toilet roll holders etc.
Staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Especially the man who served us dinner each night in the restaurant (his name may have been Rey?). He was such a nice guy.
The pool areas were great and direct access to the beach was brilliant.
On the whole I'd say it was very pricey for the quality of the rooms but the location went some way to making up for this. Would I stay again? Probably not. I like a bit of luxury in a hotel room and this definitely wasn't luxurious. I guess I'd expected a Marriott standard as a minumum but in my opinion it was nowhere near and at over $500 a night for the room that is disappointing to say the least.

Room Tip: Ask for a Beachfront suite in the south tower.
1 Thank MonicaUk
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I apologize for everything not being as it should in your room. We take great pride in the level of service and comfort we provide our guests. I am sorry we fell short during your stay. I appreciate you making me aware of your issues so I may address them going forward. Thank you again for your comments. They are very much appreciated.
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

The Lido Beach Resort is a very nice hotel. Well maintained, good restaurants (reasonably priced too) and an amazing location. Every room has it's own kitchen which is a great way to save some money! I will be back to this hotel next year. My only criticism is that the maid (who kept the place spotless) liked to put things away a little too much. I nearly forgot my glasses because she put them away in a drawer.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Thank you for the "wonderful" review you provided after your recent stay. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at the Lido Beach Resort. Thank you for your feedback as well. We look forward to your return in the future!
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

I reunited with three very different friends from across the country for a “girl-cation” at Lido, and we all loved it! Its casual elegance made us all feel welcome and duly pampered. We loved the beachfront location (amazing sunsets & sugary-soft sand), and enjoyed having a choice of 2 pools (1 adults-only). Our 14th floor family suite had amazing views of the gulf and bay, and was spacious, clean, and comfortable (loved the beds!). The staff was friendly without being intrusive, the food was delicious at each of the 3 dining options (from fine dining to tiki-bar casual), and the shaded patio by the gazebo was a favorite reading spot. The free “little things” meant a lot – the drinks of water by the pool after a hot day, the shuttle to St. Armand’s, the Ping-Pong table in an alcove on the pool deck, lounge chairs on the beach, parking, and the computers and printers in the business center (things that other places charge extra for, or add a sneaky “resort fee” to the daily rate). I would recommend it to anyone of any age. No place is perfect, but this place was perfect for us. Thank you for a wonderful getaway spot!

Room Tip: Tower rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank rebelbelle14
Thank you for your very detailed review of the Lido Beach Resort. I am pleased to hear you and your friends enjoyed your stay.
Broomall, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed in a generic room so we did not have a view. We were there to visit family in Sarasota. The pool bar was a highlight. The bartenders were very nice. We could not find anyone to get us a chaise lounge at the beach. Each day we had to drag out our own. We had breakfast there one morning. It was good. The service was good. I was surprised that the rooms did not offer OnDemand. The air conditioner was loud and ran on and off which did not make for a good night's sleep. The bed however was very comfortable. I will try another resort if we return to Sarasota.

Room Tip: I guess if you prefer a room and are willing to splurge get an oceanfront room.
3 Thank DiRick
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I am very sorry you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay. I will certainly use your comments to continue to improve our service levels. I am hopeful you will give us another opportunity the next time your travel plans include Sarasota. Thank you again for your comments. They are very much appreciated.
Kent, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

Great location but unfortunately our first room had sugar ants so we had to move rooms which only happened after we raised the issue twice, although to be fair the room was sprayed after the hotel was initially alerted to the problem. Rooms are OK, typical Florida hotel style but quite adequate for us.
Cheryl is a real asset to this hotel, we arrived after a 9hr flight from London to Tampa and then a 90min drive from Tampa to Lido Beach and all we wanted was a quick bite to eat and Cheryl was great, she served us quickly and efficiently making sure we had everything we needed.

Room Tip: The older part of the hotel is very tired
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I apologize for the issue you cited. I am pleased to hear Cheryl made a lasting impression. I will be sure to share your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
Hotel Indigo Sarasota
Hotel Indigo Sarasota
#3 of 49 in Sarasota
BEST WESTERN PLUS Siesta Key Gateway

Been to Lido Beach Resort? Share your experiences!