“A-MA-ZING!”

Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

First, I had been driving for over 4 hours the day I checked in, so I was cranky, tired, and ready for an adult beverage. As soon as I drove in, I saw someone hurrying to help me. When I checked in, the staff was so friendly and smiley, I actually felt bad for being so cranky.

I had two glasses of wine at the bar. The second glass had a bug (just a mosquito, which is not common in Florida, right?), but the bartender immediately apologized, changed my drink and gave me a little extra.

At night, when in my room, I ordered from a nearby restaurant, which was an awful experience (though they set it right at the end). The hotel was so apologetic they credited my room the amount I spent for the food. My jaw dropped. I had never seen that done, even at 5 star hotels!

It was my first stay, ever, at a Hyatt. I am a customer for life! I have NEVER experienced such am enjoyable time in any other resorts. A-freaking-mazing! Special thanks to Alta and Stacy. You guys are awesome!

I never thought I would ever leave SPG properties, but this experience has made me a real Hyatt believer! I can only hope all Hyatts are like this!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank lexv160
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear lexv160:

Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Sarasota. It's great to hear how helpful & friendly our employees were from your arrival to your departure. Your referral and comments are greatly appreciated. We hope to have the opportunity to not only welcome you back to our hotel, but the family of Hyatt hotels, soon!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Write a ReviewReviews (2,235)

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just finishing a week's stay

Pros:
-Rooms are fresh and clean
-Beds super comfortable
-Very clean
-Quiet
-Nice pool area and hot tub
- Friendly staff
- Convenient poolside bar

Cons:
-Restaurant food is horrible. Had one lunch and one breakfast, that was enough. Awful.
-Not near the beach. There are pictures of the beach on the web site, but you have to drive through congested areas to get to Siesta Key or Lido Key
- Really nothing nice within walking distance to take a stroll to
- Pool supposed to be heated, but was only warmish 2 out of 7 days during our stay irrespective of outside temperature
- Have to go outside to do laundry, not fun when it's raining, and not very convenient
- Limited covered parking, and no awning or access from hotel to parking area, so when it rains, you can't get to your car without getting wet
-Building exterior is very dated, have to come inside to see that it is a nice place, it might make prospective guests go elsewhere by comparison. Balconies in rough shape.
- Panhandlers at every intersection in this part of town. Went to a park a couple of blocks away and found people sleeping on benches and lots of empty alcohol bottles. A bit uncomfortable and not in the best area.

Room Tip: Sunnier on pool side of building
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
ChrisLevine, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Our staff takes tremendous pride in keeping the building in the best shape possible and with the Grand Bed certainly lets our guests rest peacefully. I was disappointed to hear about your restaurant experience however. We have gotten many overly positive reviews from guests so we will certainly take a look into this and make sure this type of restaurant review does not happen again. We do offer a complimentary shuttle from the hotel to Lido Beach, St Armand's Cricle and downtown Sarasota to conveninece our guests if they choose to partake in this service and I do agree with you, many people flock to Sarasota 'in season' as we have a formerly ranked #1 beach in America. We hope to see you back at the hotel in the future and agin, we will look into your concerns as we take these reviews very seriously.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have been impressed with the Andaz brand so I decided to book a 3 night stay here while visiting my mom in Sarasota.The hotel is nicely remodeled and designed, nothing edgy, totally unoffensive and leaning toward the Florida vibe. Reminded me of a Westin. We were upgraded but they neglected to tell us and they didn't forget to charge us. It was corrected after a phone call and they were very nice and offered to credit. My one issue with this hotel is the common area/bar area is built for a smaller hotel. The bar area always seemed crowded and chaotic, lots of loud snowbird types of a certain age. Otherwise the service was good, friendly and attentive. Pool looked awesome but it was too damn cold to go swimming, nice gym too. There are a lot of families too. If that's not your thing then avoid, it is Florida and it was February after all.

2  Thank jno2011
ChrisLevine, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that because of the miscommunication that our front desk was able to rectify the situation and that you enjoyed your stay. We have been looking at the bar area to see what we can do about congestion so thank you for bringing this point up, it will only speed the process up. We look forward to seeing you again when you come down to visit your mother and I hope it's warm enough for you to swim.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have stayed in this Hyatt Regency 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years or so - when business brought me down here. I have never been disappointed. The rooms are quite spacious and clean. The bathrooms have been modernized with new sinks, counters, and fixtures. The restaurant is very good - not just good for hotel food but good. The location is convenient to the airport, the Ringling Museums, Old town Sarasota and downtown. Views from all rooms offer a view of Sarasota Bay. The back of the hotel overlooks a marina and the front a park. The pool area is nice. The hotel has free self parking (valet parking is $19.00 a nite - handicapped valet is free) with plenty of spaces. It is a very short walk from the parking to the meeting areas on the Lower Lobby level. The staff is universally friendly and helpful. Hyatt does a great job of training and motivating their staff. Sarasota itself feels very old south - all the service people are friendly.
Lots and lots of good restaurants in the area - many requiring reservations.
Only problem I had was that the shower was a tub shower - had to step in and out - and there were no grab bars so it wasn't as easy or as secure as it could have been. If that's a problem, be careful.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms. They have a premium charge to higher rooms and rooms with...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HokieJohn

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We have found that quite helpful. I would also like to thank you for commenting on our restaurant, Currents. Our Executive Chef, Leo Gianulis and his staff do an amazing job here and we would love to get more people through the door to experience the menu. Also, to your point regarding the tubs in the bathrooms, we do have roll-in showers in some of our ADA rooms so we will make sure to take your comments into consideration when assigning rooms the next time. Thank you for being a repeat customer and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The rooms were nice and spacious- our room had a balcony and the view was quite nice. The grounds of this hotel are lovely, the pool and poolside bar were great too. We had a few issues and when we mentioned them to the hotel staff they were quick to react, extremely considerate, and thorough in rectifying the problem.

1  Thank Jax8487

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We take pride in keeping our hotel and our grounds as clean as possible so thank you very much for noticing. We are quite proud of our pool and the pool bar staff gets many great comments as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I sought refuge here from a brutal Boston blizzard and couldn't have been happier with our choice. The staff here is very pleasant and accommodating during our entire stay. After we checked in and were not crazy about the view from the Gulf-side room, they switched us to a marina-view room at our request. The views from this side of the hotel are amazing. Was so great to sit on the balcony every morning/night and look out at the marina and city with the pleasant sound of the waterfalls at the pool. Speaking of the pool, it was exactly what we were looking for with an oasis-like tropical feel and an adjacent hot tub that is equally relaxing at night. It was also entertaining to watch the pelicans dive and feed on fish in the marina next to the pool each day. Location is pretty good in downtown Sarasota, just a short drive to St. Armand's Circle & Lido Key beach. My only complaint was that they charge for WiFi, though they do offer a business center. We'd love to return here next time we're in Sarasota!

Room Tip: Go for the marina-view rooms. We saw the views from both sides and marina-view is far more charming...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Bosko1627:

Thank you for going into such detail about your recent stay experience at our Hyatt Regency Sarasota. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your relaxing getaway with us! Hyatt takes great pride with our employees offering great customer service. We're glad you could find time to enjoy our swimming pool. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Check-in was a bit problematic though that may have been attributed to a trainee and packed house. Bell staff were fabulous, the rooms updated and spacious. Our concierge was pleasant as well as efficient. This location is convenient to St. Armand's Circle plus other area points of interest. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2013
ChrisLevine, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and thank you for having patience as we continue to hire great new people and get them ramped up as quickly as possible. Your review was more than fair and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you back again soon.