Days Inn Sarasota
$189
$138
$129
$74
Best Western Plus Siesta Key Gateway(Sarasota)(Great Value!)
$109
Orbitz.com
$379
RitzCarlton.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewswaffle makerringling museumthird floorweek staycontinental breakfasttamiami trailbed was comfortableflat screensiesta beachclean hoteleasy accesshousekeeping staffconvenient locationspring breaksarasota airportsiesta keycereal
Reviewed April 3, 2012

this is the worst hotel in america. besides the used condom wrappers hanging from the lights, the place smelled horrible. crumbs and wrappers in the pull out couch. a broken shower head. lights that didnt work. cobwebs in corners. maids arguing outside our door. absolutely disgusted.

Room Tip: dont do it
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Reserved 2 rooms weeks ago. While checking in, I noticed an unpleasant odor in the lobby. My daughter and son in law's room revealed dirty sheets in the "made" bed-sheets with hair, skin flecks, and bugs. Carpet not vacuumed. Sticky stuff on bedside table and bath counter, nasty stains in carpet and bedspread. My room had no washcloths or handtowels. I went downstairs to get towells and cloths and requested cleaning solution but was assured a housekeeper would come. Bedspread with fresh stains. Bath mat with mold and slime oozing from edges (I took pictures). Sink and bath counter dirty. Carpet dirty. Most surfaces hadn't seen dusting in ages. Front desk clerk tried for 2 hours to locate a housekeeper. Finally at 9:30 one arrived with "clean" sheets to make the bed. We purchased Lysol to do some cleaning in bathroom and surfaces. We tried every lodging within 35 miles to find new quarters, none available apparently a busy weekend in Sarasota. I have never stayed in a nastier place-I should have checked Trip Advisor prior to reserving here. You expect A Comfort Inn to be clean and decent-I can't believe this hotel can retain its franchise. So dirty that my son in law put all his belongings in a plastic bag to try to prevent contamination when he got home-he planned to dump the things right into a washer with bleach. To cap it off, this happened to be my birthday-you can bet we had no celebration at that place.

Room Tip: Don't go here. Although I took pictures of the filth, I'll refrain from posting here.
2  Thank msburddawg
Reviewed March 24, 2012

A hotel provides a service. That service is to provide sleeping accommodations to multiple unrelated persons that are also unrelated to the owner/operator. There are three things a hotel MUST provide to meet this:
1) A clean room.
2) A clean bed.
3) Clean pillows.
These are simple things and if you cannot provide them you should not be allowed to run a hotel. This Comfort Inn should not be in the business of providing that service. I could care less about dated fixtures, complimentary breakfasts, swimming pools and fitness rooms, especially if you cannot provide the 3 simple requirements listed above.

I wouldn't let my dogs lay on the floor of this hotels' rooms, if I had dogs.

1) The carpet hadn't seen a vacuum in a week I'd guess.
2) The nightstand was covered in a sticky substance that had attracted hair and other things.
3) My in-laws room's vanity top was covered with a similar sticky un-healthy substance.
4) The ceiling in the toilet/tub room had black mold behind the (barely) white paint.
5) Niether bathtub was what I would call 'clean'.
The piece de resistance:
Our sheets clearly had not changed. Judging by the dead skin, hair and rumpled sheets at the foot of the bed, housekeeping obviously did not have time, with a fully booked hotel, to bother changing the sheets. THIS IS NO EXCUSE. You are in business to provide a service to people, that service being stated above. If you cannot provide this service, please find another line of work. Perhaps managing a landfill.

If I could give a star it would go the overwhelmed front desk woman, Holly, who clearly was left with a shoddily run operation on night when there were no other options in town and certainly more than two complaints about room cleanliness.

This place should be ( and will be) reported to the Florida Division of Hotels & Restaurants. I will definitely be contacting the management and Choice Hotels about this property. It is substandard.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: I'd add photos but you don't want to see them. Go look in your garbage can; that's likely as appealing.
1  Thank Joe A
Reviewed March 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel a week ago. The room rate was approx. $30 more than was quoted online. We were told that we should have called the hotel directly to get the reduced rate. This place is not a hotel, but a motel prettied up somewhat. The room itself was musty and I felt like I should not take my shoes off at all. The breakfast room was overcrowded way beyond capacity; people were standing up eating breakfast and some people were outside. The beverage served for coffee was far from it. All in all, we did not find this a pleasant experience. I advise against it

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lotty905
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Be extremely careful before selecting this hotel! There is another Comfort Inn that has a more respectable rating. Another perplexing issue was the Sarasota Tourist Bureau recommended this place - but warned me not to inquire (stay away) from the neighboring hotels. Obviously not a good neighborhood.

There are several reasons why this hotel is rated so poorly by TripAdvisor. Principally because several past travelers have left their complaints, the management answered appropriately, but the massive errors continue to exist. There can't possibly any excuse except utter apathy toward the customer.

Once my complaint was recognized - room smelled like a BIG wet dog - and there were blood-laden mosquitoes flying around the room - I was switched to another smelly room. To top it off the room rate was: $129 per night!!

I was later told that most of the ground floor units are "dog friendly".

Later in the next day I met two other couples who had similar experiences. One couple was switched out - the other checked out.

So, if you are discriminating - forget it! Or, if you take the chance ensure you get upstairs.

Good luck to you at this 'whatever' it is trying to be . . .

Room Tip: Make sure you aren't given a 'dog friendly' room. GO SEE IT FIRST!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple