Golden Host Resort
Best Western Plus Siesta Key Gateway(Sarasota)(Great Value!)
$119
$209
$190
$113
Orbitz.com
All reviewsgreat rateplenty of hot waterold floridawater pressurea great place to stayringlingconvenience
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Having read other reviews on various sites, some guests must have had a totally different quality of room than did we. The room was very small, and in need of renovation. TV was back from the 80's and the remoted did not work properly. Photos of the hotel show spacious rooms with a refridgerator and microwave; ours was a very small room and had neither. The bed was hard and worn out such that the springs could be felt through the mattress pad.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cruiser89
Reviewed April 28, 2008

big sign outside said internet.
Once inside we were told would be an additional 6 bucks to use it for 24 hours. OK so far. Tried to connect and even walked the whole property looking for a hot spot. None to be found.
I went to front desk. Had to talk to some customer service rep in India or somewhere for literally 25 minutes.Then the internet people said lets try something else. Keep in mind this is standing in the lobby at the front desk. I hsd tried long enough. I was not there to trouble shoot there wireless.
I had used my wireless at 2 airports and 2 other hotels in the previous 4 days with absolutely no problem connecting right away.

Then the RUDE lady desk clerk said I could not have a refund for my room because I had been there for over an hour??

I insisted and told them I would need a police report on their refusal of a refund.
At this time she started freaking out and screaming at me.

Finally she supposedly called someone else who said they would credit my credit card.

This felt like a bait and switch like a spring break flop house.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JDinGA
ManagerGHR, Guest Service Manager at Golden Host Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2008

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Golden Host Resort. We appreciate your comments, both positive and constructive, as they provide us opportunities for continuous improvement

We were extremely disappointed to note that our hotel failed to live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies and know that your comments have been relayed to the respective hotel department heads for immediate follow up. However, in fairness to us, our internet connections normally do not have any problems. Once in a while, due to weather or some other reason, the connections do experience problem but are fixed quickly to avoid inconvenience to our guests.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to comment on your experience. Should your future travels bring you to our city once again, we will be happy to extend a complimentary one night for the inconvenience experienced by you. I hope you will give us another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed March 18, 2008

My girlfriends and I make a trip to Florida for a long weekend every year and to say the least this was not as favorable as years past. When we arrived at the Golden Host "Resort" our reservations somehow got coverted from 3 adults/2 double beds to 2 adults/1 queen bed. Now, I like my girlfriends but not that much to share a queen bed with them. The alternative presented to us by the General Manager was to go down to the Super 8, which was owned by the same group. We agreed to look at the rooms first and WOW, they were AWFUL!!!! The smell and condition of the rooms were not good. The last option was an apt above Super 8, which we found to be just as stinky! During our very brief 2 hour stay at either one of these places left us feeling like we needed a shower. The outdoor grounds @ Golden Host were messy, pool was green and the front staff didn't seem especially concerned about 3 ladies from Indiana who needed a place to comfortably put their heads down.

The story does have a happy ending. We contacted Yahoo Travel (Travelocity) and after 1 1/2 hours on the phone they were able to place us with the Quality Inn. To our surprise after what we experienced down the road, we found their staff to be courteous, responsive and extremely helpful. What a relief! The rooms were very clean, the breakfast was typical continental type (not great but something to fill the tummy). The pool was not heated contrary to what their front sign said, but they did turn the heat on the day we had to leave. No big deal, the sun was still out!

All and all, if you want a yucky experience stay at Golden Host. If you want to peacefully put your head down at night, we recommend Quality Inn.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank IndianaFrqntTrvlr
ManagerGHR, Manager at Golden Host Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2008

Regarding feedback submitted by "Indianafrqnttrvlr", we take strong exception to the malicious comments. The writer had confirmed Travelocity reservation for a Queen room and for 2 adults. At check-in, the writer insisted that she had made reservation for 2 Double Beds as they had 3 adults checking in. We produced the reservation confirmation from Travelocity which clearly stated 2 Adults and a Queen bed. The writer was extremely upset as our property was completely sold out and we could only offer her the room reserved for her. Our staff, as a special courtesy, checked the neighboring properties and located a room which was rejected by the writer. Clearly, the problem was not having the requirement properly communicated to Travelocity or checking the confirmation copy. We, at the Golden Host, made every effort to be of assistance to her. The writer never saw our rooms or the facility and for her to describe the issues at our property is unimaginable. The fact that our 80 rooms property is completely sold out during the high season and is occupied 60-70% by repeat customers is a testimony to the quality of our facility and services rendered. We totally reject the comments provided by the writer.

Reviewed March 15, 2008

I had done much research in booking hotels for my husband, son and new dgtr-in-law on our trip to Florida. I was expecting a modest hotel, clean and functional for going to the local beaches for 3 days.
DON"T take the cheapest rooms as they are in the motel seperate section and our rooms stunk of sewage and ammonia. We were told it was because of the water used in the irrigation system that day. Since it was evening we did not want to start looking for another suitable hotel as it was the beginning of spring-break.
The staff (Linda) was very apolegetic and gave us rooms overlooking the garden (for $20/rm. each more). These were clean and suitable.
However, our vanity sink backed up the first night and for the 2nd night they were unable to fix it so again they moved us to another similar room.
The breakfast was a basic continental ho-hum one but the eating area and gardens were well-maintained. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2008

I booked at this hotel based on the price and some positive reviews. The room was clean enough for what it is. It had very poor sound-proof walls and I could hear everything in the next room, even normal conversation (have stayed in a fair number of discount hotels/motels but never had noises this bad). Our tv remote was broke but the staff was not helpful at all.

All in all, if you bring ear plugs and get booked into one of the rooms that faced the pool, then it might be okay. Otherwise it's not worth it.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple