“Excellent location and hostess” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Ranola

Hotel Ranola
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
The Villages, Florida
“Excellent location and hostess”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Hotel Ranola is a boutique hotel (9 rooms available) in the heart of Sarasota. The location is about half a mile of the active part of Main Street. The owner is at the hotel every day so it is almost like a bed and breakfast(without the breakfast). The laundry room on premises was very handy for our extended trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

We liked some parts of the Ranola but not everything. Our room/studio was a lot like an efficiency in a New York City older building. A separate sleeping/sitting area, a small but functional kitchen and a small bath - all decorated in an IKEA'ish design. Everything in the kitchen and bath show their age but were clean and functional. The air conditioning was acceptable but noisy and slow to do its work. It would, however, be quite easy to spend a small vacation here and not feel cramped. It is walking distance to downtown, restaurants, bars, and Whole Foods.

If all of this appeals to you, do it. We thought it was a bit pricey compared to say a Residence Inn or Hyatt Place with similar accommodations. But, it does feel like a home/condo which has some appeal.

Only one small complaint - the bath/toilet amenities were crappy. The soap was good for one shower and the other amenities were packed in hard plastic bottles that made their use difficult.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Ron D
Wilmington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is the third time we have stayed at The Ranola in downtown Sarasota. WE choose this location so that we can walk to the restaurants each evening without having to resort to a car journey. Althought there is plenty of parking. Years ago it was very difficult to find places to eat in downtown Sarasota, today it is a competely different story with lots of restaurants, side walk cafes and bars, a transformation from years past when if you did not eat by eight o’clock you just did not eat.

The Ranola is not a full service hotel, so if that is what you expect then you should look elsewhere. What the Renola is very clean comfortable well appointed accommodation. Being an older building alterations have been made sympathetically is style with the building. However the airconditioning is window hung and can be a little noisy. The rooms are like mini apartments and have kitchen areas and would be very suitable for longer stays

At the time of booking it is made clear that the reception is not manned 24/7. We were due for a late arrival and our arrival instructions were emailed to us some 48 hours before our scheduled arrival.

The following morning we were met by Kathy (owner) and Martha who were charming and helpful with our requests.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David S
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

After the glowing reviews of this hotel I was looking forward to staying here and celebrating a significant birthday with my loved one. For over 300 dollars for two nights, and a room described as 'fit for a queen' this should have been a high point in our vacation. Unfortunately it wasn't.

The hotel location is very central and the room is tastefully appointed, but it is also very noisy. Wi-fi access is unusably bad (disconnects every 10-30 seconds) and check-in was a disaster.

Check in is 'by appointment only'. When I booked the hotel asked when we planned to arrive, as I picked 4pm As the booking was some months before travel the hotel asked me to re-confirm 4pm, as they needed a firm time, and I gave my word. Three days before arrival they emailed again to check our arrival and I confirmed 4pm a third time. We plan our whole day around being at the hotel for 4pm and arrive in good time. Guess what - no staff, no answer to the doorbell, no way in. We wait and wait and wait. A passer-by lets us use his cell phone to call the hotel - straight to voicemail. At 5:30pm a staff member turns up and lets us in, saying she received the voicemail but has no idea why no-one was there to let us in an hour and a half earlier.

The next morning I meet the owner Kathy. I mention that we were not happy that the check-in appointment didn't happen and I just get bad attitude. "But we don't staff the hotel in the afternoons" (how should I know that?) I point out we had confirmed the appointment 3 times "It's not like it was a doctor's appointment", "but I get so many emails, if you would get as many as I do... " she says. Attached to the hotel bill I see on our check-in time in big hand-written letters, clear as day. The nearest I get to an apology is 'I take responsibility for that.' - no thoughts about how to prevent it happening to anyone else, no gesture of good-will, however small. Nada.

As for the noise in the room - the house construction is light, so we hear people in the room above, people entering the hotel late at night passing by our door, creaking floorboards, add to that the five fans running full tilt 24/7 in the small corridor outside our door (like being on a WW2 aircraft carrier, perhaps). We did not sleep well at all.

For all its pleasant decor and downtown location we were pleased to move on elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank K0lya
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I'm about to share Sarasota's best kept secret: Hotel Ranola. It is the located. in the heart of shops, restaurants, and a short walk to the Bay Front. The "botique" hotel is in a charming, preserved old building with way cool art deco vibe. Each room has a kitchenette and the rooms are light, airy, funky & comfy. The beds are " cloud 10" and the all-adult hotel is quiet, well managed and maintained. There are only 9 rooms, reasonably priced and each guest is treated like a trusted friend. For me, personally, it was my haven among the madness I was going through. Kathy and her staff went above and beyond to make my husband and I feel very special and very well cared for. Truthfully, it was my shelter in the storm. True heart-felt kindness and personal attention is rare in travel today. Sliding my key card in the outer doors sent me to a place of contentment, and upon entering "my space" let me drift into a "zen-like" state. It felt like home, but better :) Guess you can tell I loved everything and everyone here. I have been blessed to travel all over the world and to stay in castles and 5* hotels fit for royalty. Yet the hospitality of this oasis ranks up there with anything I have ever experienced. One word of warning: If you book my room when I need it, I'll fight for it! Bon nuit.

Room Tip: Spring for #1 or #2. They are suites. They are also on the first floor. No elevator. There are windo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank italywithamare
Mary Esther, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Very easy to earn another star from us: by more presence (Lets a bad taste when desk is only available till 3 pm, when people use to arrive later? You have to go through a complicate process of codes and numbers). Even morning 8pm was desk has been orphaned.
The another issue: miserable WIFI. To be fixed by a new router, that's not rocketscience!
But over all, a neat little hotel from the 1920ies. Great Art Deco rooms. Good restaurants are all around the corner.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Okaloosa64
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

This funky chic boutique hotel is in the heart of downtown Sarasota, just a short walk from countless restaurants and shopping. The location really can't be beat. We loved the decor, the huge well-lit rooms, the bar and the full kitchen with it's keurig coffee maker. It was a real treat staying here and the personal attention you get by having the owner there all the time is priceless. You can tell that Kathy cares for her guests, putting the uttermost attention to detail and making you feel like you are staying at a friend's home. She has a wealth of information about what to do, where to dine and about the history not only of this 1920's building but of the city as well. If you are looking for a big pool, 24-7 front desk, room service and an impersonal experience this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a spacious, charming hotel filled with history and character combined with 21st century comfort like free WIFI and flat screen TVs for a great value and in the heart of historic downtown Sarasota then there is no other place for you! We stayed here with my kids 8 and 5 who loved it but this hotel is geared towards couples or solo travelers. My husband went out for a run in the evening and he loved it so much. I can't wait to go back without the kids.

I am a travel writer at 365thingsswfl.com. My stay was comped but my opinions are honest and based on our experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family