“Just okay”

Hotel Indigo Sarasota
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Booked a suite, which in reality turned out to be a larger bedroom with a sofa bed - no separate privacy area - unlike the three other hotels we had visited elsewhere on our tour of Florida. Clean and visually very nice hotel with striking decor - we just didn't warm to the place. No bath - but large shower, although the whole of the bathroom smelt damp during the course of our stay. The shower control fell off the first night - although we were able to reattach without having to resort to calling maintainence. Reception area freezing cold - otherwise we would have used the bar/cafe area. Hotel location okay, but just on the edge of the main downtown area - so slightly inbetween everything. Wasn't impressed with the trash bins outside being emptied (twice in four days) at 7 a.m and then being wheeled away - noisy even though we were on an upper floor. The wi-fi internet access had a tendancy to stop working middle part of the evenings during our stay.

What should be a great hotel was just average and disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Nick S

Reviewed August 24, 2009

This is our first stay at a hotel in the Indigo chain, but won't be our last. What a pleasant surprise. Here's what we loved: First and foremost, the rooms have wood laminate floors, no stinking, stained, dirty, bug-invested, bacteria-laden, moldy, nasty carpet. You might be able to tell, I hate carpet in hotel rooms. We weren't even afraid to walk around barefoot. The decorating is different, fresh, fun, sort of mod. The bed and pillows were comfortable. There's a good restaurant in the hotel with room service. (We did not dine here due to other plans, but the menu certainly looked surprisingly good and reasonably priced.) There is a cocktail bar with evening hors'doeurs in the lobby which had a large, lively attendance. Staff was wonderful. Everything was clean. Another surprise, this hotel is right on busy Highway 41, but we asked for a room away from the road and were amazed to discover we coudn't hear one bit of road noise. The only thing that needs improving is the room lighting (same as all hotel rooms) and the bath sink was sluggish (again, same as everywhere.) Rates are reasonable, but we were in off season, so don't know how this might change in the winter, but this certainly beats any of the other chains in Sarasota unless you want to stay at the Ritz Carlton and pay a small fortune to get "fawned over." Indidgo seems to have found the exact right niche.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2009

If you are looking for a clean, middle-of-the-road hotel - this is a great one; however, if you want comfort and amenities - look elsewhere.

Pros: very clean hotel and rooms, roomy two queen bed rooms, large shower (however it is a walk in with glass see-through walls so no privacy), underground free garage parking (however no security cameras), very different decorations/colorings

Cons: VERY uncomfortable beds and bedding, air conditioner barely worked, VERY bad in-room coffee, no swimming pool

For the price (150.00-180.00) a free hot breakfast or at least continental should have been included. I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express hotels that match or exceed this one and you get more for your money. I stayed in a two queen executive room. The executive room costs extra and the only thing you get is a refrigerator, small bottle of tea, and a bag of trail mix (only on the first night of a three night stay). This is what I mean by for the price you should get more. If a Holiday Inn Express was right next to this hotel - I would select the HIE any day!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank familystay10
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I was picking my son up from Precollege and would only be in Sarasota for a night, so the Ritz did not seem a good option! I wanted a small clean hotel, with good service,near the school (Ringling School of Arts and Design). I came on Trip Advisor and found this hotel. Thank God I did, it was so cute, updated and clean, and the service was great. I asked for a toothbrush and the front desk person was less than two minutes, literally before knocking at my door. The little restaurant is OK, what you would expect, but a cute little buffet where they made us omelets on Sun, included in our price of $138, a bargain at any price. The only downside is no real view and two very small pools one hot and one not, mostly for wading. If you want a hotel on the river or beach with a water view this is not for you. If you want luxury at an affordable price and nice staff with great service, and our just in town for a few days, great hotel! Free Wifi

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jornic
Reviewed July 13, 2009

First review ever written because I find that most of the time they are inaccurate or don't fit my travel standards. My husband and I typically stay at Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons or other such hotels. When the Ritz was sold out we were frantic to try and find another hotel for the weekend. Hotel Indigo recently opened in Newton, MA (close to Boston where we are from) and we had heard great things so we decided to give the Sarasota hotel a try. What a good choice that was! The total for both nights was less than one night at the Ritz and we absolutely loved the hotel. The staff was slightly off but we didn't really need much from them as we were there for a family event and busy most of the time. But the rooms were delightful, filled with all the cheerful colors of a cape cod summer home, periwinkles, lime greens. The standard room was spacious, the bed and linens super comfortable, bathroom huge and the walk-in shower with no door exceptional. Aveda products were a pleasant surprise as well. Great little fitness room, perfect for sqeezing in a quick exercise in the air conditioning and when we had 30 minutes to spare before leaving for the airport, the dipping pool was the perfect little spot to hang our feet in the water. A great happy hour provided wine and beer at a 2 for 1 with a buffet of cheese, crackers and a lovely tomato basil mozzerella salad. Great location (no pool and not on the beach) if you have a car as it is only a short drive to main st, the piers and the beaches. We loved it!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2009

When a hotel is good, it always amazes me that it doesn't make a few obvious changes needed to be great - and blow away the competition. Such is the case with the Hotel Indigo in Sarasota. We stayed here one day this week for my wife's birthday. Was impressed with the room. Was NOT impressed with the staff. So if you're the manager (who seems to respond to many reviews posted here), would you please:

1) Train your front desk to actually LISTEN to guests. Upon arrival I told the young lady that we were local residents who were there for my wife's birthday. There was no response to the point that I thought she might be deaf (seriously) and then she said "is this business or pleasure?" and later "would you like a local map?" She obviously had been trained to move along a long line of registering guests, but I was the only arriving guest within sight. The experience reminded me of the airplane boarding scene in "Meet The Parents".

Second, is it REALLY necessary for your housekeeping crew (on the second floor at least) to park the full dirty linen cart right next to the elevators all day? It really is a great first impression of the guest room floor. The cloth cart was parked outside both elevators all day on Thursday, June 25. Trust me, I was there.

As a much-traveled consultant, I believe this hotel has a golden chance to be the best in Sarasota. The tottering Ritz Carlton down the street is vulnerable and the Waldorf Astoria property is stalled and may never see the light of day. So by working with your staff, you could be number one in Sarasota, which is nothing to be taken lightly. Just talk to your people and train then to shut up and listen to what guests have to say.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BarefootTom
IndigoManager, Front Desk Manager at Hotel Indigo Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2009

I am so sorry to hear that you did not have an inspiring experience with us. Thank you for your feedback as we are constantly striving to improve the guest experience and we will certainly take your input under advisment. I will be contacting you personally to discuss your stay.

Reviewed May 25, 2009

My husband and I recently were in Sarasota due to a family emergency. Our family was staying at a family type place down the street, and we decided that was just not really for us. We had heard a few really good things from locals about Indigo and decided to check it out. What a beautiful and welcoming lobby! So fresh, so friendly, so welcoming. The gentleman behind the counter was super nice and said he did have room for us. I checked with my husband and we returned a brief while later. At this point we met Kaye who was one of the nicest, sweetest front desk managers I have ever met. She went above and beyond to ensure our stay was comfortable and made sure we knew if we needed any additional help, that they were ther for us.

Our room was spacious and comfortable in design. It felt like returning to your own living room. We got a room on the 4th floor with double beds. The beds are very comfortable, and the AC worked perfect. The washroom is big and so is the shower. It is what we refer to as the "Yoga shower." There are Aveda products in the bath which was a really nice touch!

The rooms offer free internet, free underground parking, a fitness center, and business and conference rooms. Considering parking can be a pain at other locations we heard about, having a well lit, super easy, underground parking was really great! Also, one night it poured- but we did not get wet since we could enter and exit through the underground garage.

Although we did not try the restaurant- it looked yummy! I did have a Mocha from the coffee "bar" and it was well made. I was happy not to have to travel outside the hotel for my usual Latte, as we were rushing around attending to business.

I would not hesitate to return to this Indigo Location, in fact I look forward to returning during happier times to really enjoy it. We would even seek out other locations in the brand we were so impressed. We travel quite a bit, and are not easily impressed, but the hotel was beautiful and comfortable, and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay something really great to take away from our trip.

Feel free to email me any questions at all!

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank LisaJim37
IndigoManager, Front Desk Manager at Hotel Indigo Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2009

Thank you for your kind words! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return. Hopefully you'll have a chance to eat in the restaurant as I'd love to sit and chat with you. - Kaye