“Very nice fish”

Off the Hook Seafood Co
Ranked #113 of 1,031 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: "where only the freshest fish arrive, to be dined upon"
Hampstead, Maryland
“Very nice fish”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Found this place by accident. They have seafood, cocktails and wine. Small. Loved the food. Service a little slow but acceptable. Fresh fish right off the boats. Will fix it any way you want. Spend the time to find this place if you like fish.

Visited February 2014
5 Thank Bunny104

Sarasota, Florida
“Beyond Fantastic in all regards”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We decided to try this place on a whim and Wow were we surprised. The decor and atmosphere were inviting, the service was fantastic and the food was WONDERFUL. We passed by dozens of over-crowded tourist places and into the cozy surroundings of a truly local-gem. My Tomato Bisque was amazing, My wife loved her chowder and we shared an incredibly prepared Black Grouper over mashed sweet potatos with grilled asparagus, accented with a Hollondaise sauce. Wow was it good. Even my Manhattan was done just right.
Don't put it off... Just go.

• Visited February 2014
5 Thank WizardofSarasota
Huntington, New York
“Sea Food Restaurant”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Shannon was our server and she explained that the restaurant dealt with local fishermen and that the fish was never more than 72 hours old...I thought that number was a bit high.... but we liked the premise. We started with New England clam chowder. It came out hot and it was delicious. The crab cakes were slightly burnt and had more bread than crabmeat in them.We asked to substitute cole slaw on the side. Very disappointing. The hog snapper appeared on a bed of white rice . There was also broccoli on the plate.---we asked for the sauce on the side. Although it was very fresh, the flavors just weren't there. A number of friends have told us that they have really enjoyed their meals. Maybe we will give it another shot.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank yr05
Sarasota, Florida
“OMG to die for.... the BEST & freshest seafood ever.”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

A friend took me to a restaurant in the Gulf Gate area called Off the Hook Seafood Co. It's right on the corner of Gulf Gate Dr and Gateway Ave - next door to an Italian Restaurant called Il Panificio.

The first thing you notice on entering is how clean and modern it looks. I loved the decor, which included a lit bar, modern stainless and marble tables and a see though climate controlled wine room along one wall. I sipped the white wine my friend ordered and though I'm not a white wine person generally, it was superb. The meal itself. Divine. An unexpected and unbelievably incredible dish. Words cannot describe it. First we started with the Artichoke appetizer - bite sized morels that melted in your mouth. Then we each order one of the day's specials.

For me, FRESH grouper with Key Lime beurre blanc - with perfectly cooked vegetables (broccoli & cauliflower) and coconut rice.... mmmmm.....heavenly flavors, light, crisp, fresh, perfection. My friend had Scallops in a bacon buerre blanc... I have NEVER NEVER NEVER enjoyed a meal so much!!!! Ever.

What a remarkable find. In a city of many fine restaurants I'm glad I found this jewel. I can honestly say I've never anticipated, enjoyed and savored each bite like this before, it was the best I've ever had. I can not wait until the next visit. This was truly a remarkable meal, and for a dish of this caliber - remarkably priced too. Highest recommendations.

• Visited January 2014
4 Thank Cyn222
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We went out to dinner with friends and heard about this new fish restaurant in the Gulf Gate area. It is located next door to Il Panificio and in fact the restaurant shares their kitchen. The menu is quite limited and frankly for us, not very interesting. We primarily ordered from the specials of the day. We started our meal with the roasted jalapeno peppers. I like spicy food, but these peppers were uncomfortably spicy and not sufficiently roasted to bring out their flavor. In short, hot with no flavor. When we shared this perspective with our server, he didn't even pretend to listen to our perspective. It was almost like a "Man vs Food" dish, and we clearly were not man-enough. For entrees we chose the Fish taco, Mahi and grouper. The fish was very good. The portion size was a bit nouvelle cuisine and the sauces and accompanying vegetables were boring. The presentation was adequate, nothing special to account for the relatively small portions. The desert was truly underwhelming. The first cup of coffee I received was tepid and not at all fresh. When I asked for a refill after finishing the first cup, the second was clearly just brought out from the microwave and tasted burnt. The bread pudding was too sweat, covered in a heavy caramel type frosting and thoroughly not worth the calories.
The restaurant is rather small in size and there are 2 large televisions that were on during our entire meal. The atmosphere is very new age and there is a relatively large bar that looks like a martini-bar wanna be. I will not be returning.

• Visited January 2014