“Nice Place, Good Location, Friendly Staff”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Sarasota
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We stayed at the Homewood Suites over Valentine's Weekend. Our room was tastely decorated the standard "warm neutrals' color palet which is so popular at the moment,

The bed was comfy, the room was clean and quiet, In the evenings, we enjoyed the hot tup and the swimming pool.

The hot breakfast had a nice selection - we had eggs, potatoes, fruit, bagels, danishes, cereal, waffels, yogurt, coffee, orange juice.

My husband worked out in the gym and he was happy with the experience and the quaility of the equipment.

The staff at this hotel was very warm and very friendly. They truely went out their way to make sure we have a good exeperience when staying at their hotel.

I would definelty stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Sarasota

Reviewed February 16, 2009

We have just returned from our stay at Homewood Suites, and are more than pleased with the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel we just wanted to look at the rooms, due to some of the other negative feedback that was left on Trip Advisor, we were nervous to book a stay online. Joe, who is the chief engineer, showed us a room and told us everything we needed to know about the hotel. Joe was extremely helpful to us and very friendly! He really made us feel at home during our stay!

The rooms were nice! The decor was stylish, and our room was very spacious...we had a two-room queen suite. Everything was very clean. We used the laundry facilities while there and found those to be clean as well. The kids enjoyed the heated pool, which was also very clean. We enjoyed our breakfast each morning, and the variety offered. Overall we found the hotel to be comfortable and maintained very well.

We are so glad we checked this hotel out for ourselves instead of relying on some of the negative reviews.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank nateandrachel
Reviewed January 20, 2009

This is the second time I've stayed at this particular Homewood Suites. The property is very well maintained, the pool area was very clean and inviting. The room was extraordinarily comfortable, clean and well maintained. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and offered a variety of choices.

The only thing that I can think of that would be an improvement would be the addition of wireless internet access. I did not have a wireless signal in my room, but was able to connect via a wire to a reasonable internet connection.

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed January 4, 2009

I am a Hilton Regular and was a little worried after reading other's reviews of this property. We stayed here for four nights (withj our pet) and had a great stay. The breakfast food was always good, the property is well maintained and all of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is about 3 miles off Interstate 75 and about 7 miles to our destination of Siesta Key.

According to the staff and contrary to another review, this property was never a senior citizens home and then converted to a hotel. Hilton bought the property from the original developer prior to it being completed and finished it as a Homewood Suites. It is different from a traditional Homewood, but it is very new and very nice. We would stay here again.

If you stay here, visit the Dutch Heritage Restaurant about a mile away at 3713 Bahia Vista. It is a great place to eat!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in late December 2008. Check-in was uneventful, and as a Hilton HHonors Gold member is was given my bonus points in lieu of the welcome snacks and refreshments, per the MyWay preferences on my profile.

This hotel has a very strange configuration with a lobby and breakfast area situated in one building and covered walkways connecting to the guest rooms with interior corridors. The hotel itself is about 4 years old and is showing its age.

I was assigned to a studio suite with two double beds on the 1st floor. To my disapointment both the reading lights, cable TV, and "High speed internet" had problems. I couldn't get the cable TV to work and contacted the desk and they were no help and said they'd report it. Both wired and wireless internet is ridiculously slow (slower than dial-up!!). The room itself was reasonably clean, and the beds were rather comfortable.

The work-out facility is a complete joke. There is a treadmill, recumbent bike, some type of elliptical and a limited free weights set. The equipment appeared to be fairly new but was broken and felt very flimsy and cheap. I read in the room that guest have access to another fitness center .25 miles away but didn't have time to check it out. While I didn't use the swimming pool, it also did not look clean and would advise against using it.

The breakfast is also pitiful. Juice from concentrate, frozen pancakes, packaged danishes, "Breakfast Syrup" instead of maple syrup made it obvious they were cutting corners.

Overall, I really don't think this property is well kept and is a good value for the money. Next time I'm in the Sarasota area, I plan on staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2008

Visiting friends in Sarasota, and the Homewood fills the bill.

This property is a former retirement home. Each room has a kitchen and a sitting room with fold out couch and its own TV. This is in addition to a separate bed room. In our case the bath was in the bedroom.

The location is used by teen age sports teams, so it can get loud.

Super nice breakfast set up, as well as a week night nosh.

Nearby are drugstores, food stores, etc.

It has easy access from I-75, and getting to the beach is easy: just drive west.

Exercise room is excellent as is laundry machines.

Only minus is that while the property has inside corridors, one must go outside to get from one's room to the lobby. A blowing rain will get you!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HoosierDan
Reviewed May 25, 2008

I had been a big fan of Homewood Suites Hotels up until now. Unfortunately, this hotel did not live up to expectations.

IF INTERNET ACCESS IS IMPORTANT TO YOU, GO ELSEWHERE. Despite what it says on the website, this hotel does not have wireless internet access. They have one network connection in each room which meant my wife and I had to take turns working on our laptops. When I couldn’t connect, I was given a local number to call. The local number was a Mon-Fri, 9-5 number. I had my problem on Friday at 6:00pm. After some minor troubleshooting, I discovered that the Ethernet cable provided by the hotel was bad. A replacement cable fixed the problem. Saturday, I could not get online. The front desk said that the hotel has a limited number of hubs and therefore only a certain number of people could connect at one time. I was not able to connect for several hours. This is a huge problem during the week when business travelers try to get online.

If you want a king bed, it will run an additional $100. They only have 4 suites with king beds. We opted for two doubles and a sofa bed. Big mistake! The sofa beds here are the worst ever. Besides the bar in the middle of the back and the slope of the bed, the mattress was thinner than any sleeper sofa I have seen. It’s only a 1-inch piece of foam which was absolutely awful.

The kitchenette table is tiny – which is only a problem because the three chairs around it are over-sized and do not fit properly with the table. They take up way too much space in the small rooms.

The lighting over the bathroom sink is awful. There are two sconces with 25 watt mini bulbs in each. Not only was it hard for my wife to put makeup on, my hawk-eyed 17 year old son even complained that it was so dark. There is no alternative lighting or makeup mirror.

The TV’s here get only 12 channels. That was enough for us, but if you are used to 50 to 60 cable channels, you will not find it here.

The tiny kitchen is well appointed. Nice appliances.

The free break was loaded with cheap comfort foods and the selection was extensive. The coffee was not great. They use an off-brand of coffee and several people I spoke to said the coffee wasn’t as good as other Homewood Suites hotels. Powdered scrambled eggs help to cheapen the poor quality foods.

This hotel is only three years old. The front desk staff said that this Homewood Suites was a prototype. It was designed to fit more rooms into the same space. That is evident by the tiny bathrooms, tiny kitchen area, and the use of fitting queen beds rather than king beds. The hallways were excessively hot and the doors to the outside do not close properly. Overall this hotel looks like it was 30 years old with a recent cheap renovation.

This Homewood Suites in Sarasota, in my opinion, does not compare to other Homewood Suites hotels. It did not live up to my expectations. Sadly, I can no longer assume that if it’s a “Homewood Suites”, it’s going to be good.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family