“Best BBQ In Sarasota”

Oaks Open Pit BBQ
Ranked #482 of 1,066 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have eaten at The Oaks for decades going way back to the prior location on Stickney Pt Rd and 41. Hands down the best BBQ in Sarasota. True Southern style chopped pork, beef, ham and other meats plus excellent ribs and chicken. Lots of sides to choose from. I like the baked beans and stew the best. The cole slaw is good as well. Also great sweet tea.

While they offer some non-bbq items such as fish which aren't bad, I would recommend the chopped pork, ribs and chicken. Traditional tomato base southern bbq sauce is excellent and I frequently buy extra to take home.

If you are hungry, the all you can eat platters are your best choice. You can sample plenty of the meats and all of the sides.

If you are a Northern visitor that likes ribs baked in an oven with the sauce covering them throughout the baking process this may not be the place for you. This is a true southern bbq cooked over hardwoods in an open pit.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Traditional BBQ joint. Nothing fancy but sure has great food. I had the pork sandwich with baked beans and cole slaw. My husband had a smoked ribeye steak sandwich and it was awesome. Smoked prime rib on Thursday nights can not be missed. Very casual service but friendly.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Selected this restaurant due to its high rating on Trip Advisor. Food was decent, but all sauces were mustard based so we found that a little limiting. Portions were fine, and price was good. However, the incredible number of stuffed animal heads peering down at you from every corner of the place was a bit unsettling. I also saw not one, but two animal tails pinned to the wall. If you like taxidermy and mustard based sauces, then check it out. Personally, I prefer the food and the atmosphere at the Sonny's, where we went the next night.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

From the road this restaurant looks like a bar, with lighted beer signs in the window. The counter inside could be mistaken for a bar, but signs clearly indicate that beer can only be purchased with food. If stuffed, mounted heads of deer and other animals strike you negatively, then maybe you or your children wouldn't want to eat here with Bambi's family looking at you. There's also a big alligator skin on another wall.

All that said, the food is good and reasonably priced. Service has always been prompt, in my experience. Restaurant Impossible would probably want to update this venue, but the people keep coming! For me, I will return.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've been here a few times since my arrival in Sarasota FL. BBQ meat is really tender, hot and juicy. The BBQ sauce is a bit too thick for my liking - but it IS good, nonetheless.