“Holy munchies on a sub roll!”
Review of Munchies 420 Cafe

Munchies 420 Cafe
Ranked #432 of 1,078 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place is called Munchies 420 and that pretty much sums up the expectations. If you're looking for fine dining and clean cut wait staff, then you're going to be really dissapointed. They're open from 420 pm to 420 am and were showing uncut Katt Williams comedy on the tv's. If you don't know about him, let's just say it's not kid friendly or appropriate for the modest. Munchies is a really small store front restaurant and at the time we went, which was around 12:00 am, there was only one girl working the counter. She was covered with tattoos and piercings and really nice and efficient. Theres one bench and 4 small tables inside, but plenty of benches outside to sit at. We were lucky and got a table. We got our food in 15 minutes, which was brought to us by the girl at the counter. It's REALLY hard to pick what you want to eat b/c these sandwiches are so different and packed with everything including the kitchen sink. We knew the sandwiches were going to be pretty hefty, so my husband and I split a Fat Sandy. The sandwhich had 2 cheeseburgers, mozz sticks, potato spuds, onion hoops, chicken fingers and then topped and smothered with mac and cheese. Holy hell on a sub roll it was good! We couldn't figure out how to eat this behemeth of a sandwich....hands, fork, cut into pieces? Basically we had to do all 3 it was so packed with food. You wouldn't think a sandwich with this much stuff on it could go together but it does. As you're eating your way through and having stuff constantly falling out on the paper and your lap, you taste each component that's in it. You can't be modest and dainty either when eating here. I pretty much had mac and cheese all over my face and hands. Nobody cares though b/c everyone looked like that and all we kept hearing was "mmmmm.". With the sandwich we got an order of tots, which were good. The last part of our meal was the magical fried twinkies!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my these were heavenly. You get 2 perfectly crispy fried twinkies covered in chocolate, strawberry and marshmellow sauce. I would come back here just for those. They also have fried cheesecake and icecream, which I'm sure are just as tasty. The combo's will run you about 12 dollars. The desserts are around 4 dollars. This place isn't cheap, but for the amount of food you get it's worth it. Plus, most people I'm going to assume can't eat a whole sandwich on their own, so splitting one would make a trip there a lot cheaper. If my heart can take it, I will definitely come back here to try some of these other sandwiches and for more fried twinkies!!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Driving from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa, I started getting hungry around 11pm. I remembered seeing Munchies 420 Cafe on Man vs. Food and wanted to try one of their Fat Daddy Sandwiches. I dropped in with my son, I'm thinking we aren't their typical clientele. When I started reading the signs and bumper stickers I realized this is a "I've got the munchies" restaurant. Their sandwiches are insane. The Fat Daddy had hamburger beef, cheese steak beef, chicken tenders, mozzarella cheese sticks, fired potatoes, and more on it. The onion rings were excellent. The menu is large so whatever you crave, it's probably on there. They are only open 4:20pm to 4:20am. It all makes perfect sense now. WARNING: They are currently remodeling and the place is a mess.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Being from New Jersey and eating at some of the best food trucks at Rutgers University I have to say this place has taken all the greatness of comfort foods in a food truck and have made them into a great restaurant.

The service was great. They were willing to answer any questions and informed us in detail about the menu.

If you are looking for place to cure the "MUNCHIES" after a night of drinking look no farther than this place. The food was excellent and the dessert just as good. For me I recommend the Fat Mike with the Fried TWINKIES.

Drink hard and then eat harder!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Visited family in the area and stopped by one night. Nice little place opened until late! Had my BF try their hot wing challenge... OOPS!!! Couldn't get through one wing, but he was able to get his picture put on the "wall of shame". Other than that it's a nice little spot to grab quick munchies. Will go back next visit =)

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have been here twice and never had the opportunity to eat since service was that bad. You walk in there and it's almost like a coffee shop where everyone is just chilling out and you don't know who works there.

The first time I visited, I went up to the counter thinking you just placed an order but nobody said anything to us or came over so we left. The second time we came back months later and just sat down thinking a server would come over and waited for the longest time and decided to leave once nobody came by.

A buddy of mine ate there and said he got sick after eating. One good comment would be that another one of my friends said that the sandwiches are huge and enough for 2 people. Perhaps they should focus on quality and not quantity?

I guess with a name like Munchies 420 cafe, you're catering towards potheads who just want to eat a lot of junk food and don't care what they put in their system anyway or don't mind lounging around for someone to come by and take your order.

I saw this on Travel Channel's - Man vs. Food and I'm sure it brought them business after that episode aired. Maybe they have changed since then? I'm willing to give them one more attempt and it may be a 3rd strike but perhaps it could be redemption. We'll see if the wind blows me in that direction but I won't be going out of my way to check it out though.

If anything changes, I'll be sure to update my review but for now it's in the red.