“Authentic Peruvian food!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Authentic Peruvian food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

As a Peruvian ,I have found the food consistently delicious and the food is very authentic. The service is excellent !

Visited December 2013

“Peruvian. ....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed this place a lot: great food, amazing flavors and amazing service by a gentlemen. We couldn't have asked for a better date night. A great place to walk in and try new foods :)

• Visited November 2013
Venice, Florida
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Dark, not very appealing décor. Portions were all tapas sized! Had to ask for our waitress to do our order and to pay.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sarasota, Florida
“Excellent Tapas Dishes - Terrific Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We are locals and have eaten at Jalea three times since the restaurant opened and would highly recommend it to locals as well as out-of-town visitors. If you are familiar with Spanish tapas, they are small plates of food, which allows you to try several for your dinner. Salads, soups and sandwiches are also offered for lunch. Jalea takes tapas to the next level and combines traditional Spanish tapas along with some Peruvian specialties. We love the Plata Mixto and the Causa Sampler, which my husband and I share as our cold tapas choices. The hot tapas dishes are many and varied, so choose according to your tastes, but everything we have ordered has been fabulous. The food quality has always been excellent and well presented, and the service has been terrific. Jalea also offers a selection of salads, ceviches and tiraditos, as well as house specialty entrees. And should you still have room for dessert, there are several delicious choices, of which our favorite is the flan.

Tampa, Florida
“So disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Did not have a chance to check reviews, but should have realized since no one else in the restaurant. We visited Sarasota Farmer's Market first time last Saturday 10/26/13. Afterwards we visited the spice shop 2 doors down from Jalea. I'm always wanting to try something new & was intrigued by the Peru/Spanish menu. At first I just thought we were too early for lunch, but after our meal I realized why there wasn't anyone else in the restaurant - then 1pm.
Bottom line we ordered cerviche. While there was a little bit of each type of shellfish as claimed on the menu, the actual white fish used was so tough we could not eat it. Found out it was some kind of farm raised fish from Canada. Please note that this same white fish appeared in 85% of ALL their menu items. When paying $18 for a "tapas" of cerviche I thought it was outrageous for using this cheap/tough fish. While the plate served was nice presentation and the lime dressing had a nice flavor & it looked inviting, we were only able to pick at it. As part of our order another tapas plate that was supposed to consist of sweet potato, avocado, microgreens and each of them were to be topped with crab, shrimp, tuna (1 each respectively). Again presentation was nice and apparently a lot of sweet potato used in this type of cuisine. However, did not notice any avocado in the layering of ingredients; well the tuna was a nice presentation of sliced filet of tuna with good flavor. However, the other 2 were each topped with shrimp and crab salad that could have come from publix or the local convenience store. So full of mayo, celery & onion while barely any shrimp or crab. Menu did NOT say shrimp/crab SALAD, it said shrimp/crab. I guess I should have been glad the tuna was not canned tuna fish. It was not cheap, nor did I want it to be, just a value - which it was not. I could not believe that this was a true representation of Peruvian or Spanish cuisines. Here I wanted to try some ethnic food as opposed to the numerous fish restaurants all along Sarasota's main street. Next time we go to the farmers market we'll be trying one of those AFTER I read Trip Advisor reviews. Like one of the other reviewers, we came home so I could make my husband lunch. Among my husbands many comments was that this place will not last much longer. I guess the only positive I can say is that the server was very courteous, prompt, and professional. Well, we were the only folks in the place the entire time we were there prime lunchtime on a busy Saturday.

• 1 of 5 bubbles