“Surprised us....”

The Grasshopper Mexican Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #156 of 1,164 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Grasshopper Lounge opened it's doors in 1971 by owners Jesse and Cleo Rosales in Downtown Adrian, Michigan. There, my family acquired the other half of the structure and "El Chapulin the Tex Mex Restaurant" was launched. Still in business and operated by our entire family, we have since opened a second location in Wauseon, Ohio and our third in Sarasota, Florida. Grandma's secret: prepare everything in small batches, so we never jeopardize the art form of our food.
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We met some friends for dinner at their suggestion, since they really like it here. We were pleasantly surprised. Chips and salsa were good....not your typical red salsa but 3 different ones to choose from...my favorite was the green salsa which was really spicy hot. I couldn't get enough of it!

I ordered shrimp fajitas which I thought were very tasty and a generous portion size. I had a raspberry margarita which I thought was good but a little on the weak side, but I'm also not a big margarita fan. Maybe something else next time. I didn't even notice if they had a bar you could sit at as my back was to the main restaurant.

Good service, no complaints at all.

Overall a very good experience....

2  Thank LSC-Florida

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I enjoyed the freshly made and tasty Mexican dishes served by friendly staff. Many other restaurants have pre-made, frozen dishes, but The Grasshopper is made-to-order and delicious. The pork dishes are especially delightful.

1  Thank Bernie S
Reviewed May 29, 2014

They are open late, chips and salsa did not taste like restaurant supply. Good food just enough for the after sunset crowd. Was not "Tex-Mex"!!! Will return!!!!

1  Thank Celiastrawn
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hands down the best Mexican food we've eaten in Sarasota. There's nothing expensive or pretentious about it, but it isn't in any way generic. In fact it seems the cooks have put their individual stamp on all menu items, which range from mexican staples (tacos, burritos, enchildadas) to more 'exotic' tex mex fare (tamales, flautas, barbacoa). Side items tend to be forgotten in reviews, but are worth mentioning here: the guacamole, rice and refried beans all had great flavor and are worth trying. The staff (and ownership) were incredibly friendly also; despite being busy, they remembered us both the second and third time we came back. We'll definitely be returning during our next trip to Sarasota.

1  Thank Nctarheel80
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Stopped in randomly on Cinco De Mayo while running errands in the Sarasota area, very cute little spot. The staff was extremely polite and attentive. We ordered off of their "special menu" for the day, we had their special green cheese sauce along with guacamole and salsa. Was very good. We aren't usually fans of the green salsas at Mexican restaurants but it was a nice change. We also just ordered the simple three beef and three chicken tacos, they were good. Was a perfect little find,exactly what we were looking for.

1  Thank ErinLee13