“Good service, good food.”

The Grasshopper Mexican Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #156 of 1,045 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Grasshopper Lounge opened it's doors in 1971 by owners Jesse and Cleo Rosales in Downtown Adrian, Michigan. There, my family acquired the other half of the structure and "El Chapulin the Tex Mex Restaurant" was launched. Still in business and operated by our entire family, we have since opened a second location in Wauseon, Ohio and our third in Sarasota, Florida. Grandma's secret: prepare everything in small batches, so we never jeopardize the art form of our food.
dayton
“Good service, good food.”
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

We visited here for lunch. Salsa is green and u mix your own at the table depending on how hot/mild you like it. I asked for veggie fajitas. Comes with 4 flour shells, lettuce, sour cream, damn good guacamole, tomatos, onions, peppers, mushrooms. I asked for beans and rice on side. Had tons left over. My husband ordered a chicken meal that was wrapped in flour shell and deep fried. Beans and rice came with his. He has 2 bears and me a pop. Bill was $42. Not sure why they would charge so much for beans and rice on side when I'm not getting any meat. ($4.50) salsa was best I've had in forever. Service was great. I would eat there again. They have daily lunch specials.

1 Thank cinderella1106

Sarasota, Florida
“First visit”
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

As many others have written, this restaurant is not fancy but clean with good service. My only disappointment were the sauces/salsas served with the chips. One was dark green and the other was some shade of brown ; I really didn't like them so eating the chips was kind of worthless. I prefer red-tomato type salsa.

I had the taco platter which had soft tacos, refried beans and rice. The tacos were nice but needed a little kick. I asked if they had any hot sauce or red type salsa. The answer was no and I sure wasn't going to put the other sauces on my tacos. The rice and refried beans were ok but nothing special.

If I ever went back (I had gone with friends) I would take my own jar of salsa.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank sarasota34232
Omaha, Nebraska
“Regular Dinner Stop On Our Siesta Key Vacations”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My family eats here at least once on each 7 day vacation to Siesta Key. Starts with good chips, salsa, queso and guacamole dip along with margaritas. Burritos, tacos, enchiladas and tamales are all good. The staff is always welcoming to a group of eight and very helpful with my young grandchildren.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Hew P
Holden, Massachusetts
“Excellent Mexican”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband and I ate here twice for lunch on our recent trip to the Sarasota area. The restaurant is pleasantly open and inviting with a very friendly and attentive staff. The owner/chef came to our table and offered to bring us tastes of several dishes so we could make up our minds which we preferred. All were excellent, so the tastes did not really help. The flavors were intense and authentic Mexican. This is the best Mexican food we have had since we left San Diego 20 years ago, where they really know how to do it. I would return in a heartbeat if we lived in Florida. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank karylj2000
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“Good food at a reasonable pice”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Four of us dined here on a rather quiet Sat. evening. We tried 4 different dinner plates & all were delicious. The dipping cheese sauce with green chilies was a nice touch & we liked the chips. The best part of the meal was the dessert - Bunelos. They served the 4 of us & we selected the honey, chocolate & whipped cream toppings. We would go back just to have them again. Our waitress gave excellent selection ideas & was most helpful. The margaritas were also delicious.

• Visited February 2014