“Excellent”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Some friends were here for dinner and they said that the food was awesome. So i decided to try this restaurant. It was amazing i ate the zuppa di pesce and was delicious. The atmosphere in the usual place is so warm you feel really at home in this restaurant. The service was great. I've been in italy many times and this restaurant is really a piece of italy in sarasota. Amazing!!

There are newer reviews for Mangia Italiano The Usual Place

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is definitely one of the most authentic italian restaurants in Sarasota; the decor was pleasant, creating a nice ambiance. If you are looking for spaghetti and meatballs, is is not the right place, but if you like more elaborate and refined italian cooking, this is definitely one of the best.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have to agree with some other reviewers that this place doesn't deserve all the raves it' s getting here.
We had dinner last night. We started with the calamari which was good but came with nothing to dip it in. We asked for some marinara sauce which was very bland.
My wife ordered the gnocchi which were way too doughy, very heavy.
I had the eggplant which I liked, no complaints.
We had strawberry tira misu that was pretty good until you got down to the stale cake on the bottom. No ladyfingers just this awful cake. I actually spit it out it was so bad.
With two glasses of wine and tip our bill was over $100.
We've had dinner at Magnolias in Charleston and The Pink House in Savannah within the last week and neither of those bills came to $100. I think this meal was a tad overpriced.

1  Thank ABFine
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I liked the food I hated the ambiance. If you are looking for a quiet romantic place this is not for you. It is wide open and VERY noisy. The calamari is dull dull dull. No seasoning at all...just ok. The caprese salad is wonderful.. I got the gnocchi bolognese it was good but the bolognese had very little meat in it. I am used to bolognese loaded with meat this was not, but the flavour was exquisite. The ravioli was stuffed with lobster and cheese and was very good, the lasagna was the best, linguini with clams were very good, the seafood soup was good but not great by any means. Just beer and wine which was a bummer. Dessert was blackberry sponge cake and was absolutely delightful.

1  Thank FargoJena
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Boy what a surprise. Being that we both arrived in the USA from Italy years ago but frequently go back, to find a restaurant that is as good as any in Italy was a phenomenal treat. Not only was the food equal to the best in Italy but the service was also & the owner-chef so hospitable! The name The Usual Place in Sarasota Florida. Unusual name for an Italian restaurant-but it is!
Alan J. Sault MD, ABHM