“Most amazing italian food outside of italy!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mangia Italiano The Usual Place - CLOSED

Mangia Italiano The Usual Place
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Most amazing italian food outside of italy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

From the food to the service, this was by far the best italian food my wife and i have experienced outside of italy. We had the pleasure of being served by the most charming server named alex, who gave us a wonderful, memorable dinning experience. The food and wine was amazing, from the first course to dessert. I would recomend this restaurant to anyone seeking an authentic, real italian experience! Amazing!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food since eating in Rome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I ate here last night. Wow, our food and wine was the best Italian food we've had since eating in Rome and Florence! This is not your usual american/Italian food. It is authenticItalian food, and it is spectacular!
Not only is the food great but presentation was beautiful!
So many dishes to try. We will be eating here once a week.
Loved it so much we ordered food to go for tonight!
Thanks Marco we had a great dinner!

“Nice place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I found the perfect place, that's what I'm telling to my friends, nice atmosphere,great food and friendly service. This is my really Usual Place, I'm in love with Alessio "the chef" everytime I come here he surprise me with something delicious, I cannot pick a special dish just because all taste yummy.
Nice place to hang out with friends after a long day.

• Visited April 2013
Sarasota, Florida
“The Usual Place is a Winner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I finally had the opportunity to try The Usual Place, now one of my favorite Italian restaurants in Sarasota. The owners and chefs are straight from Rome and Venice, Italy and arrived 7 months ago with authentic homemade pastas, breads, pizzas, wonderful service and presentation. Giuseppe and Allessio the chefs, and Marco all were wonderful hosts. Rumor has it that Allessio is a mean pizza dough thrower. I can't wait to go back and try the pizza which I hear is the best in Sarasota. Having been to Italy twice in the last three years, I went in expecting authenticity. The Usual Place blew me away. They have been open for about two months and I suspect once word gets out, it will be difficult to get a table. As an American who would love to spend a few months in Italy every year, it is great to know there is a place that can transport me, at least temporarily.

The Atmosphere

The Usual Place is located just off the Route 41 on the east side of Siesta Drive, 2157 Siesta Drive to be exact. It is unassuming from the outside. Think of one of those places that is a hidden gem. Once inside, it is open style with a friendly vibe from the moment you walk in. I felt like I was back in Italy being greeted by the owners and getting way more food than you asked for or could possibly finish.

Authentic Italian Cuisine

Let's talk authentic. On a prior visit to peek at the menu, I was able to speak with Alessio, Chef and Owner. He proudly stated that The Usual Place gets most of their ingredients imported from Italy. If a certain item is not available, they don't serve it. They will accommodate Italian American dishes such as Chicken Parmesan, but really prefer to show guests a true experience of Italian cuisine. The menu is a combination of northern and southern Italian. Because some guests may have a different take on Italian cuisine, they will make anything that guests request if it is not on the menu. If you are however looking for authentic Italian cuisine, this place is for you. Let's talk really fresh pasta. The gnocchi and linguini are handmade everyday, the bread made on premises and the speck and truffles imported from Italy. Lunch and dinner menus are the same however lunch offers 20% off the price.

Dinner started with a surprise from the chef with an appetizer we did not order. Goat Cheese sprinkled with Teaberry dust displayed beautifully on a spoon wrapped with a thin crostini. We ordered the cured meat and cheese platter to start which instantly took my friend and I back to Italy. We traveled there together and many times, you have a platter like that for breakfast. I ordered the Stinco al Forno (Pork Shank). I will go out on a limb by saying it is the best I have ever had. It was moist and hearty with the perfect amount of gravy atop a mound of smooth mashed potatoes. It is cooked in beer which gives it the moist and delicious flavors along with the carrot, celery, onion and pink pepper. My friend was on a strict diet which is usually tough in an Italian restaurant however her salad with grilled beef gave her a delicious protein filled, no-carb dish perfectly rounding out the night. My friend talked me into splitting the dessert (although I think I felt inclined to eat most of it since she was on a diet after all. The tiramisu, cream puff and panna cotta were light, creamy and fresh. The owner brought us another surprise with dessert. A homemade, warm drinking chocolate that put me over the top. It was so delicious, they brought us a refill. Everyone in this establishment confirmed what I love about Italian food and hospitality. They are working on a world class wine list however their selections were nice compliments to their menu.
The Usual Place is a Winner

If you are looking for homemade gnocchi with speck or truffles, fresh bread, delicious pizzas and an authentic Italian experience with an artistic flair at a very reasonable price, then The Usual Place should be your next "To Visit Place". Be prepared to meet the chef and owners and have an unforgettable experience. I always enjoy speaking with the chef and asking a few detailed questions about the ingredients they used. Chef Alessio ensures everything was to your satisfaction. Once you try this gem, I think it will become your "go to" place. At some point, the the owners plan to have old Italian movies with Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastrianni. This is a winner!

1 Thank DestinationCuisine
Sarasota, Florida
“Great new Italian dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Glad we gave this new restaurant a try. The pizza was the real deal and a must! We ordered it as an app and took the rest home. We both had a special that was featured off of the regular menu for our dinners. Best seafood linguine pasta I have ever tried! The flavors were great and all of the seafood cooked perfectly. Home made gnocci with sausage and peppers in a cream sauce was also great. The service was good and it was nice to talk with Sara, the owners wife, and meet her darling daughter. Guisseppe thanked us for dining with them on our way out. If I had to find one flaw about this new place, it would be that the temperature for dining was on the warm side, probably due to the pizza oven.

• 3 of 5 bubbles