“More cons than pros”

Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“More cons than pros”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I try to allow for problems and not be overly critical, but this is not, in my opinion, a very good restaurant unless you like huge buffets and overstuffing yourself. My husband and I went for breakfast, but arrived 10 minutes after they stop serving. I could not order from the kitchen (which is reasonable on their part), but the buffet was not yet cleared and I asked to get my plate from there. I was refused without explanation.
We checked the menu for lunch and waited a few minutes to see what would be on the buffet. As previous reviewers stated, it was huge and much too much food for us, so we opted to order off the menu. The salad bar looked great, but we came for Amish food, not just veggies.
I got the broasted chicken which came with 2 sides. It was one small chicken leg with two small sides for $10+ !!!! I got the Amish potato cakes, as did my husband, and the cole slaw. I wanted the applesauce, but it was CANNED. The slaw was made in house and quite good. The potato cakes are not like shredded potato pancakes - they are very dense and were over cooked on this day. My husband thought his were like leather. The waitress did take them back and brought mashed potatoes, which, if not ordered with gravy, need to be seasoned at the table.
We did have pie, which was good.

It was not until other people sat in the next booth (with a different waitress) that we heard their was a lunch special. It had never been mentioned to us.

I feel they expect most people to get the buffet (which they do) - otherwise the kitchen is inconsistent and, as stated, and the food is overpriced.

Their are better Amish restaurants in Sarasota.

Montgomery
“Best Amish Food in FL”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We have been to this restaurant many times now, and every time, we are still amazed at the variety of food, baked goods, and home decor that this restaurant has to offer !! We were visiting the area, and I had to take my husband and my extended family here for the first time.

There were 13 of us, and we were seated within 15 minutes. The kids and adults alike, LOVED the variety on the salad buffet and hot buffet (must get both) !! The food was incredible, the service lightning-speed, and their homemade sweet and sour salad dressing is the best !! Also, the kids AND adults liked the fact that they received free ice cream after dinner too.

We also stocked up on their date log cookies, bread, Birch Beer pop, and almost everything they had to offer. Their donuts are out of the world, along with their pies. It might be a good thing we don't live close enough to visit this place every day, but MAN, it is a treat when we can get here !! :)

If you leave unhappy or hungry, you have done yourself an injustice !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarasota, Florida
“Too overpriced for an Amish Restaurant and Buffet”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The food is inconsistent as far as taste. The Fried Chicken tends to either be over cooked or under cooked most of the time. The buffet price is too much for women, as most women and girls won't eat more than 1 plate of food. The buffet should include a slice of their homemade pie rather than their "chinese buffet" style desserts. I hope with the new management that they'll do something to improve their food, and lower their prices for women and children. No offense guys :). And not cheap out on the gross desserts that you include in your buffet. I want Pecan Pie, or Pumpkin Pie, or Peach Pie without having to pay extra.

• Visited January 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Amish food & hospitality for the family”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

On a visit to Sarasota, I stopped here with my wife and our son & his family. There is something for everyone in the lunch buffet and we especially enjoyed the extensive salad bar and the broasted chicken. Lots of choices in the hot foods area and the server was very friendly and enthused even taking time to explain some of the Amish and Mennonite traditions. Our 9 year old granddaughter felt spoiled when our server offered ice cream with sprinkles after the main meal.
Also fun to browse the gift shop after lunch for Amish baking and preserves.

Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
“If you leave hungry, it is your fault”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Der Dutchman experience is one that has to been seen to be believed. This is a quality facility that focused on hot and tasty food with the emphasis on service. We scheduled an 11.30 morning lunch into our day. We parked in their large lot and took our time going in as the outside flowers and landscaping demanded some closer looks. Once inside, we were quickly taken to our table even though the place was already nearly to capacity. Large groups, couples and families were given their own spaces and a waitress was quick to greet us and take out drink orders. Three of us ordered the buffet and one ordered from the menu.
The buffet was what most would expect, except the extensive diversity of the food choices caught us by surprise. Instead of a fairly limited menu, the buffet featured over 60 feet of choices organized by the usual salad, soup, entree, dessert system.
As we are from Pennsylvania, we have eaten at Country Cupboard in Lewisburg, and comparisons to Der Dutchman was exchanged throughout the meal, all positive. The price was right, and we were glad to leave 20% for the quality service. And by the way, regardless of the crowd, the noise was not too bad, and we enjoyed a brisk conversation when we were not eating.
After lunch, we toured a bakery and a Amish-themed store that features all sorts of items including quilts and food items.
No complaints here except for overeating, but the afternoon did its best to burn that off.