“Fun Atmosphere”

Ranked #47 of 1,046 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Serving Sarasota for Over 25 years!The Old Salty Dog first opened its door for business in Siesta Key Village back on November 1st 1986. The owners original concept was to take a small popular village beer and hot dog stand and turn it into a casual Restaurant and Pub. They have mixed the best of the Florida Keys and their British heritage to create a fun family environment that is appealing to people from all walks of life.There are now 2 locations and they are patronized not only by their many regular local customers and characters but they also enjoy abundant new and repeat business from all over the United States and from around the World.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fun Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

After seeing the "Salty Dog" on Man Vs. Food, I decided to give this place a shot. It will definitely be included in our yearly visit from now on! My Fiancè & I had a total blast here! He had the ribs, which he loved! I ordered a hawiian burger. It was okay. What I liked were the drinks! You definitely get a bang for your buck! The top shelf margarita was really good as was the mango something or other. They were not shy with the alcohol. I usually don't love stong drinks but figured, what the heck, it's vacation. The place is really fun, too. We chatted with a lot of other people & when it began to rain, all of the boats pulled in to grab a drink/bite. We had a great time! :)

• Visited June 2013

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“What happened???”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I interned at Mote Marine Lab about 5 years ago which is accross the street from The Old Salty Dog. My internship was 5 years ago during the summer (May-August) and I would have lunch there at least once a week. It was BY FAR my favorite restaurant while I lived in Sarasota, I loved eating right on Sarasota Bay. I visited Sarasota 3 years ago and it was the same perfect experience. However-when I went in June I must say I was disappointed-especially since this was my first time bringing my family and I was so excited to show them one of my favorite places in Sarasota. We waited about an hour for our food, and while I understand it was busy, there were parties that were larger than ours get their food before we did even though they arrived after us (we were a part of 5, the table next to us was a part of 9, arrived about 15 minutes after we did, received their food and finished most of it by the time we got ours). It was a hot day and our drinks were continuously empty-and by empty I mean the ice had already melted and we drank what was left of it. Non us ordered specialty food or complicated the order so I'm not sure what the delay was, maybe a new waitress? We were quite frustrated because it did interfere with other plans. I'm hoping that it was just an off day or a new waitress, but it's just unfortunate that this is the impression left on my family. The food was lukewarm when we had received it and had obviously been sitting, my blackened chicken sandwich (which I get EVERY time I visit) was hard. I really hope that next time we visit it will be the Old Salty Dog that I remember eating at every week, because back then it certainly was a wonderful restaurant with great food, great staff, and a great atmosphere.

• Visited June 2013
Brentwood, Tennessee
“Great location, fresh ingredients”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our family of four stopped here on north lido key before visiting the Mote aquarium.

Great location and authentic old Florida seafood restaurant.

The pros: the seafood was delicious (5 stars), the view was scenic, the prices were affordable, and our table was on the deck with the water below.

The cons: most of the seating is open air. We were OK with the heat but others may not be. Stick with the seafood. Our Caesar salads were bland (1 star).

Kids will love this place.

• Visited July 2013
Canton, Georgia
“Yummy!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Great food, great service and reasonable prices! While on vacation we enjoyed dinner here TWICE and were not disappointed at all. We will definitely be back! Loved the basket options - which were less pricey than the full meals.

Visited June 2013
Crowley, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Eat somewhere else. One of the worst places to eat in Sarasota!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I do not recommend this place. I ordered fish and chips and it was very bland. It lacked flavor. Is cost $14.99 and it was totally not worth it. My friend ordered a mahi sandwich with fries and she said that mine had more flavored than hers! That's pretty bad! Thank goodness we had key lime pie at home to get rid of the taste. We got that at Publix, by the way!

Visited July 2013