“Can't miss the monthly wine dinners!”
Review of Michael's On East

Michael's On East
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael's On East is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 1,144 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bahia Vista
Description: Founded on April 27, 1987, the celebrated Michael's On East restaurant takes fine dining to another level, offering award-winning cuisine and outstanding service, in an exceptional 1940s supper club atmosphere. Michael's On East was one of only ten restaurants in the nation to be inducted into the 2009 Nation's Restaurant News Fine Dining Hall of Fame, considered the Oscars of the restaurant industry, and received their 28th consecutive AAA Four-Diamond Award in 2017 - one of only two restaurants in Florida with this distinction. Upon entering the dining room, you are immediately dazzled by the plush design and inspired decor. The restaurant's intimate aura, along with its contemporary fare, world-class wine cellar and incomparable service, create an unparalleled dining experience that will give you every reason to keep coming back.
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The monthly wine dinners in the Cellar are outstanding. Personalized service, it's a great way to try new wines that are perfectly paired with your meal.

The last one we attended was for the Porter Family Vineyards. The best part was that the Porters were in attendance!

We thoroughly enjoyed a meal that's planned around making the wines taste their very best. And yes, we came home with a mixed case of wonderful wines.

Michael K, Owner at Michael's On East, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review and I'm thrilled to see your rave reviews for our wine dinner events. You may be interested in our upcoming wine dinners on Friday, January 24 and Saturday, January 25! (Reservations are available via phone at 941-366-0007, ext. 224.)

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It will certainly be our pleasure to host you again soon.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Michael Klauber, Co-Proprietor

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We frequent Michael's regularly. We are usually very happy with our dining experience. This time, however, they didn't live up to expectations.

My wife orders the crab cakes as she's always loved them. This time they came fairly loaded with bits of shell. She almost broke a tooth on the first bite. She ate cautiously after that and found many more pieces.

What was more shocking was that Michael himself came by the table and was made aware of the issue and while he apologized, he did nothing else. No offer of a desert, a cordial or even removing the charge from the bill.

It left us disappointed, which is a shame because we expect more from Michael's.

1  Thank 360Rosso

Hello,
I noticed that both you and your wife were able to post reviews about your most recent experience.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our restaurant and allowing me an opportunity to apologize for any misunderstandings and mishandling of the situation. I have included a copy of the message I posted a moment ago in response to your wife's comments, and simply wanted to convey the same sentiments to you as well. We certainly will strive to exceed your high expectations during your next visit at Michael's On East.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our restaurant. I wanted to offer my sincere apologies for any misunderstandings or miscommunication during your most recent visit with us.

First of all, my very sorry if our table-side conversation was confusing. Our crab cakes are prepared with great care, with the intention to keep the "lumps" of crabmeat intact. Thus, although it is common to see, occasionally pieces of shell may be found in crab cakes. Again, I apologize this situation was not handled correctly the evening of your dining experience.

I have reviewed your experiences with our management team, ensuring our service team meets and exceeds your expectations during your next visit. We would greatly appreciate another opportunity to offer you the exceptional customer service Michael’s On East has been known for over the past 26 years, as well as provide you with the outstanding culinary experience that you deserve.

I truly hope we can persuade you to dine with us again soon.

Michael Klauber
Co-Proprietor

Reviewed November 1, 2013

As you step through the door, you feel as if you have been transported back in time to an era where good food, drinks and conversation all went together. Our waiter was well versed on the entire menu including the specials of the evening. His personality and service was as good as the food and made our evening. If only I were a local, Michael's would be one of my regular spots.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Wow! I'm still thinking about the experience we just had at this restaurant. The steak I had was absolutely the best I ever tasted, and I tasted a lot of steaks in my life. The service was brilliant, our server was called Paul and he knows his job very well. Too bad we're leaving Sarasota tomorrow because I definitely want to go back ASAP. Our next visit of Sarasota will definitely involve Michaels!

1  Thank noelv9dlaar
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I visited with our friends on the last day of our holiday. Wow!!! fantastic ambiance, fantastic service, fantastic wine and the food absolutely superb!!. The waitress was extremely knowledgeable not just on the wine but also the way the chef had sourced, prepared and cooked the food. The menu was well balanced and catered for all tastes. We did not have an expensive bottle of wine but it was none the less exquisite.

The restaurant was clean, comfortable and the lighting perfect. There was a pianist who played all evening. The whole evening was one of the most pleasurable experiences of our holiday. Michaels on East is not the cheapest restaurant to dine at but is was the most memorable during our holiday and for a special night out it should definitely be on your agenda as a not to be missed.

Well done and we definitely see you again next year.

Julia, Roy, Julie and Nick.