“Informal Dining, Interesting Food”

Original Word of Mouth
Ranked #90 of 1,071 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Word of Mouth diners are know to come for Word of Mouth's breakfast alone, which features several varieties of pancakes, blintzes, crepes and the awe-inspiring Three Amigos Breakfast Burrito. The lunch menu serves a variety of yummy soups, sandwiches and salads. Open for breakfast and lunch.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our dinners were excellent. One friend had a tasty seafood pasta. Another ordered an inexpensive prime rib roast beef item that was a bit tough. My corvina fish plate was excellent and unusual. It had a raisin and onion sauce that gave it a sweet flavor. The salads and desserts were fine. Bread with oil was served at the beginning of the meal. We liked the friendly and quick service; our server was exceptionally personable and helpful. What distinguishes this place is the interesting menu; the friendly service; the spacious, open feel to the dining area; and the many music-related pictures and memorabilia on the walls. Above all else, however, is the fact that this is not a cookie cutter franchise restaurant that looks like every other chain establishment. It has its own unique ambiance, which makes the dining experience interesting and different. We liked it a lot.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Came in on a morning around 10am about half the tables empty. Was seated and literally not one more person came to my table until I left about 20 minutes later! I stopped and said I'd come back later and staff really had an "I don't care" attitude. It's mine Andy families last stop in word of mouth in the gulf gate area.

1  Thank VeniceCurt
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Very laid back breakfast place with great food. My cousin told me about this place because they have homemade corned beef hash and that's my husbands favorite. He was on the money. My husband loved it. I had the blueberry pancakes which were very good and fluffy. A nice touch that I loved was they heat the maple syrup before they bring it to the table so your pancakes are always hot when you put a little syrup on them. Can't wait to try them for lunch. Will make this a regular stop when we're in town!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We knew we had found the real thing when we were seated by a table of police officers & noticed the local postman as well. Service was attentive & helpful. Portions were generous, fresh & tasty!!
Word of mouth deserves a return trip!!

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We came here after church (2 adults / 2 kids) to have some brunch around 12:30 and the place was packed.

Seating: There was no sign to seat yourself or wait for a hostess. Nobody greeted us when we entered so I walked over to the cash register and asked what we should do. We were told that you pick your own seats and fortunately for us there was one table left and so we sat down.

Tables: Since you seat yourself, there should be menu's left on the table for you to review while waiting for a server to take your order. We sat for a good 5 minutes before a busser came by with menus and silverware. Another 5 minutes went by and our server came by to take our order. The tables were stocked with every condiment you could possibly imagine so that's nice. (well, except for honey which we used on our biscuit).

Selection: The selection is great and there are daily specials provided as well. In fact, the online menu doesn't include all items and I noticed more when I was there so that's good to know if you've at least found something you like online.

Food: The food was delicious and I had the following items (spinach, cheddar, mushroom omelette, breakfast potatoes, grits, & a biscuit.) The other items that came out looked good as well (cheese omelette with fruit, Mickey pancakes, and waffles)

Price: Food prices were about right for what you received. The 4 of us left there for around $42 including tip.

Gripes: Service could be faster (this statement doesn't reflect the speed of the kitchen since good food takes time to make. This applies to the wait staff), the kids menu had a nice selection but pretty much everything included bacon (pancakes & bacon, grilled cheese & bacon, etc. kids should not be eating bacon or anyone for that matter). There should be a sign to let you know if it's general seating or if you wait for a staff member.

All in all it was a pleasant experience and I'll be going back again.

1  Thank ANTMARSAN