“Great little find!”

Walt's Fish Market
Ranked #20 of 1,078 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Lovely little fish market/restaurant, lovely bar area outside with live music at weekends only I believe. Fish is gorgeous and so fresh definitely worth a visit if you like your fresh fish.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,474)

Reviewed February 18, 2014

The restaurant has changed lately: more spacious, cleaner floor, kinder servers. If you're in for Fish & Chips, this is the place. Large selection of fresh seafood.

Be ready to wait (anytime at lunch and dinner time); the washrooms are still outside next to the parking lot.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

My daughter was visitng from out of town and I had an Indian restaurant in mind for lunch. But, driving back from the airport, she spotted "Walt's" sign and suggested we eat there. I've bought some very good cobia, salmon and to-die-for Key Lime Pies at Walt's, but had never eaten a meal there. The mullet spread they serve with crackers is delicious! I got coconut shrimp which was very good and my daughter ordered a variety of seafood salads from the menu. Our waitress was very helpful and personable. The next day, guess where we went for lunch? "Walt's" again! They have a lot of choices on their menu and the wait staff was very nice. Good food and fun, casual ambiance.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We have purchased fish and seafood from Walt's on a number of occasions and have been more than satisfied, but today had a very disappointing experience at lunch. First we were served smoke mullett to eat with crackers to eat while we waited for our food to be prepared this was delicious and I would buy it any time. My husband ordered ahi tuna as an appetizer, this was very good and a plentiful portion. I had ordered conch ceviche and while the flavor was good much of the conch was too hard to eat -- I don't mean chewy I mean hard! Totally resistant to my teeth and they are my own! I spoke to the server who brought his manager over....he informed me that this toughness was normal, that the conch was frozen not fresh and was often this way. He said fresh conch is much more tender. I said that I thought they should know it was hard (my words, meaning more than just chewy) and that I couldn't eat it. He took it away. The rest of the meal was OK, not outstanding but OK. When the bill came,the conch remained....not a large sum of money, but the fact that it was still there echoed the manager's attitude that really I was the one who should have known that the conch would be inedible.

It will be a while before I return, Sarasota has many excellent restaurants so returning to one where the customer didn't seem to matter isn't necessary. Too bad because the fish market has always been excellent.

3  Thank jand87
Reviewed January 31, 2014

There is a great selection off the menu. Be prepared to wait because on a Friday and Saturday dinner hours, it's packed, so it goes to show you - the food is delicious. My husband was so excited when asking the waiter where they get their fish. The waiter happily explained - right from the Florida waters & that's where the excitement came from. That's how fresh the food is. I'm not a true fish eater and the Mullet spread, I wasn't too sure of, but I will definitely return, that's how yummy our experience was. The staff are very friendly and really courteous. We will be also returning to purchase the fresh fish on our next grocery outing.