“Suprisingly Superb!”

Ranked #20 of 1,079 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I will begin by saying I base a lot of my vacation go-to decisions by reading Trip Advisor...this restaurant had some mixed reviews and last night my husband and I went to a place based on reviews and we were very disappointed - so I went in with this one a bit hesitant; however, if you are Thinking about going - GO! My husband and I love good seafood. We don't gravitate towards super fancy nor we except perfect presentation. This place is very casual, shorts or jeans, god for couples of any age and families/children. The dining area is very open and clean. There is an outdoor tiki type bar that looked fun but we opted to sit inside as it was a cool evening. The staff was pleasant and greeted us warmly. They give you a ramekin of a smoked fish spread and saltine crackers that was very good, just ask if you would like seconds (it's on the house!). The story of Walts is on your paper place setting, a good family story that resonates today. Our server, Nathan, was knowledgeable about the menu and different fish, he offered great suggestions. I got the broiled grouper and my husband got the mahi mahi. Both entrees were generous sizes and cooked perfectly. No hint of fishy taste, both very fresh and seasoned great. We caught a glimpse of the tuna and some oysters - both looked amazing. Walt's also sells fish, the case is right in the restaurant and you can see the good quality of the fresh fish. In a nutshell, the staff was welcoming, the food great, and the restaurant clean...highly recommend and we will return when we are back in town!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

When you get off the plane from points north, and it is a sunny December day around lunchtime, you want to make a trip to Walt's. Walt's is a good old fashioned fish market -- plenty of folks were picking up their holiday orders. They serve a complimentary smoked fish spread (yum!) while you wait for your order. We had a grouper sandwich, fried oysters, and a side of conch fritters. The only disappointment was the fritters, which were a bit raw & doughy on the inside. Otherwise, our meal was a great example of master frying. And those oysters were SO flavorful.

We will definitely make a stop at Walt's part of our regular visits.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Joined friends here for supper. They live in Sarasota and wanted to take us to their favorite seafood restaurant. I am so glad they did! We will definitely go again if we are ever lucky enough to be back in the area.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Melt in your mouth shrimp, no chewing required. Go back in time to old Florida and enjoy! This fish market and restaurant serves unbelievable fried shrimp, peel and eat are also good....try the old bay and garlic sauce. Key lime pie not to be missed.

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

20 minutes before any staff acknowledged us. The only reason was because we flagged a waitress down who wasnt over our section. She told the waiter to wait on us and he was a total jerk. Ordered Hush Puppies for an appetizer and were good. Ordered the fried pick two (grouper & flounder). Grouper was horrible. Very fishy tasting. Never had grouper taste like that, and I order grouper everywhere we eat. The flounder was delicious. Sit outside at the tiki bar, it is the best part of the restaurant. Hope you have better service than we did.