“Walt's is Wonderful!”

Ranked #20 of 1,078 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Walt's is Florida seafood at its best. I highly recommend a visit to this unique restaurant which also features a fresh seafood market to purchase and take home. The menu is vast, and I had the red snapper prepared with olive oil and lemon. My husband had seafood scampi, and my parents shared a seafood pot that had crabs, shrimp, and clams along with corn on the cob and new potatoes. I like the coleslaw and seafood rice, too. Hushpuppies are a must, and I like dipping them in seafood sauce. Gator bites make for a tasty and interesting appetizer. There really is something for everyone here! The iced tea (sweet or unsweet) is served in 32 ounce glasses. The wait staff is very friendly and responsive. There is a band that plays on the outside deck area on the weekends, but it is not too loud, so enjoyable. On my way out of the restaurant, I saw the owner coordinating a crab race with some young visitors. What fun! Make this your next meal out on the town, and you'll be back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,472)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We spent a most wonderful evening at Walt's! Delicious food, music on the outdoor "patio" and just as we were leaving, the owner had a crab race!

I suggest reservations. We drove down from Clearwater and waited 35 minutes without reservations. Later I heard the waiting time was over an hour.

The wait goes quickly and is well worth the time. The waiting went quickly . There was live music on the outside deck and as we were waiting the owner came out and had crab races. I think Walt's appealed to every age as there were young families and couples in their 80"s. All seemed to be having a great time.

My husband and I shared a steamed pot of crabs, shrimp, mussels, corn and potatoes. Challenging for us but great fun cracking open the crab. The servings were more than ample! The only thing missing were the bibs :). At our table we shared several appetizers including aligator, hush puppies and the largest shrimp I have ever seen!

The service was great but not hovering. Diners all seemed to be having a great experience. For those who wanted more, there is a freshly caught fish market in the restaurant.

This is not a fancy place but a comfortable place where the food is the star!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is a very casual place, wine served in plastic glasses for example and shared tables with strangers and not much on atmosphere. But the fish is very fresh and nicely presented. The wait staff is friendly and helpful. A good place for a non- fancy meal.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Only had the oysters...fantastic!!! Generous portion.
Bob was so nice to listen to. He said he's there every
Friday night.
I will go back. There were plates of food going by that
looked great...a plate full of grilled shellfish and fried
calmari...something about bringing the 'life' out in people.
Will go back to try.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

On the plus side I had a blackened grouper sandwich. The grouper was the freshest, best cooked piece of grouper I have ever had. On the minus side I had an "authentic Key west Conch chowder that was awful. Tough conk and zero falvor soup. The cole slaw with my sandwich was not edible , ditto the lettuce and tomato on the sandwich. My wife had the shrimp salad. The shrimp was tasteless and the vegetables inedible: Wilted yellow lettuce and other greens and a cucumber that tasted fishy, probably the salads and cole slaw are pre made and stored in a cooler with fish(??)

My recommendation is to stick with just a piece of fish which will probably be great, and forget anything else.