“Good comfort food”

Caragiulos Italian American
Ranked #50 of 1,071 Restaurants in Sarasota
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At Caragiulos, the food speaks for itself. Using the finest ingredients, Caragiulos has served easy- going, inventive Italian-American comfort food since 1989. The bread is baked on the premises each morning. The mozzarella is made fresh. The biscotti is still baked by Mrs. Caragiulo herself. Eating here is more like a gathering in the home of a good friend... Comfortable... & Memorable.
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Went here on a Monday Eve; was surprised downtown Sarasota was so-so quiet. It's January, snowbirds s/b in migration!
We had a party of six .... Salad to start, with chicken parm, eggplant parm, pastas & five boys burger. All good; comfort food not high level cuisine. Ingredients seem good quality. Sauce was light and layered well in the parm. Buger good both beef and pulled pork ( beaware you'll never bit into this burger as it's 6" in highh with bun). All come out at same time. Can't speak to service as we were lost in conversation. Reasonably priced. Wine, both glass and bottle, was ok; had not aftertaste. No deserts. Sitting inside and out; you can see in easily so you'll know immediately if tables are filled. Walked but saw parking but if downtown is busy, beware then!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We went to Caragiulo’s with our friends prior to attending a show at Florida Studio Theater. It’s been several years since we have eaten here, but selected it for its close proximity to the theater; only a 5 minute walk away. This is a charming restaurant, located on Palm Avenue in the center of the Arts district. It was a lovely evening and all their outdoor seating, except street side was taken, so we were given a table in the rear which was a nice second choice.

We were seated promptly, upon arrival, and had an pleasant server. The ambiance was wonderful with very good service, but unfortunately the food was a little disappointing. Three in our party had their Shrimp with Ravioli special and I had their Eggplant Parm. Everyone said their meals were okay, but not as tasty as one’s we had a week earlier at Solozano’s in Gulf Gate. I had ordered a side of spaghetti with my eggplant and it came with only a minimal amount of sauce on it. Next time I would ask for extra sauce. My eggplant meal was so-so, definately not one of my favorites.

We rate this restaurant 3 stars and will go back someday, but next time we go to the theater, I think we’ll try a different restaurant. The pricing of their entree’s is reasonable and overall this dining experience was enjoyable.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Great place for dinner or to take a date or that someone special. Nice menu. Great food. Tiramisu is awesome and so is the coffee. Downtown. Not the cheapest, but worth it. Average wait time for food. Food is served nice and hot. Very good service. I love the ambiance here. It's an impressive place to take a date or celebrate an anniversary. Not too terribly expensive for very good food.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Food was average for a red sauce Italian restaurant (and there are several other options). Seafood fra diavlo was okay. The service was terrible from the moment we walked in. We should have walked out right away. Once we sat down, our waiter never told us what specials were, drinks weren't served at the same time, we had to ask for bread, our food order got lost in the fray (which happens, I get it, but waiter lied and did not handle it well.) Brusque service along with indifferent attitude from management. The atmosphere is not very welcoming and somewhat dismal. Not recommended.

1  Thank Cityfoodie500
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We've been coming here for years, but since moving south of town it has been less frequent. My wife and I visited Caragiulo's with some friends this past weekend. They have remodeled the place since we were here last, and WHAT A FANTASTIC JOB!...the place has a new and hipper vibe. Our food was excellent. My wife swears that the eggplant is the best she's ever had anywhere. I had a "Five Boys Burger" which was piled with pork osso buco on top of the beef patty...Absolutely fantastic!...Ricardo was our server, and he took very good care of us.