“BEST Food and the BEST VFM and The BEST FUN in Sarasota”
Review of Waterfront

Waterfront
Ranked #342 of 1,051 Restaurants in Sarasota
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went twice to the Waterfront while staying on Siesta Key - being introduced to the restaurant by local friends. They have been going for over 20 years and it is clear hat the diners are mainly locals and not tourists. As such there is a wonderfully friendly ambience with seating at the bar or at tables overlooking the adjacent yacht moorings.

The food, with generous portions, is first rate but you may have to ask for doggy bags! All US meats of very high quality or fresh as it can come seafood. The staff have a super rapport with their customers and the result is of a an outwardly happy friendly dining experience - almost like a club and none the worse for that.

It is interesting that Googling the restaurant they rate the costs as $$$$ - not so - a main dish costs up to mid $20 and the whole meal - with a goodly amount of well prepared cocktails and 3 courses averaged around $35/head which while not the lowest cost was fabulous VFM in my book - mid November 2012 experience.

Very Highly Recommended to the degree that if you do not go then i would say you seriously miss out!

There are newer reviews for Waterfront

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Really nice to have dinner with proper table cloths and napkins. Great pork chops grilled just right served with very tasty green beans.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

After my last poor experience at the Waterfront, we decided never to return. However, on a whim and believing that everyone gets a 2nd chance, we went back. New paint on the walls and ceiling, newer looking table arrangements , and a decidedly new attitude by staff, provided a pleasant surprise. My wife had Shrimp fried and boiled which she said was very good, and I had pepper steak which was also very good. Management and staff must of had some soul searching because they could not have been nicer and eager to please.

2  Thank JHDawg
Reviewed September 30, 2012

While vacationing in Siesta Keys we ventured out across Stickney Point Bridge to mainland Sarasota and headed a short distance south on US41. We stumpled on this Waterfront restaurant, a Greek owned and family operated for well over 20 years. Quite old and quaint with view of canal, we sat at bar for our Happy Hour and watched the chefs prepare meals for the patrons. We were certainly entertained by chef Julio and Ricki Ricardo and bar tender Stephanie who was so attentive and friendly. We actually went back a 2nd time as our first meal with Ribeye steak prepared Pittsburg style was probably the best meal we had eaten on this vacation. But on our 2nd visit, I asked the chef to prepare chicken marsala on top of a side of pasta. "No problem" said the chef as this entry was not on their menu of steaks, lobster, fish, chicken and shrimp specials - all reasonably priced and cooked to order, no microwaves here.

I'm telling you these Mexican chefs in a Greek restaurant prepared the finest chicken marsala that I have ever eaten - even better than famous restaurants in Baltimore's Little Italy. Now that's a sincere compliment as I am very particular with this meal. The chicken breasts were so tender that I could cut into bite size pieces with my fork. My wife had 1/2 order of lightly blackend grilled shrimp which she thoroughly enjoyed.

Now on previous visit I had the 1 inch thick cut Ribeye that was prepared and grilled Pittsburg style with olive oil and pepper and charbroiled. EXCELLENT. I understand from watching the Chefs that the specialty of the house was an aged Prime Rib prepared daily as a slab of meat, not a slice taken out of the plastic bag. Also prepared are lobster tails in the 1LB and 2LB size which is a royal meal by any standard. The beef filets tenderloins and NY strip steaks seemed to also be popular as many plates went out with a cooked to order along with a baked potato.

If you are in the area, you need to give this restaurant a try. Drinks are reasonable priced, meals are prepared from scratch so this does take some time, so enjoy the crisp salad and homemade beer muffins made fresh each day by the owner, and enoy a reasonably priced yet excellent meal. Service at the bar was excellent with Stephanie, but we did notice amble number of waitress serving the other patrons.

Again, not the best view with old decor, but excellent food and prepared to your tastes. That's what impressed me the most. Give the Waterfront of Sarasota a try, you'll be pleased.

1  Thank Ross201024
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My family and I went there for dinner last night and we had read some of the reviews and decided to give it a shot as we ae always looking for a hole-in-the-wall restaurants while on vacation. The kids ate off our plates as they are generally poor dinner eaters and I would not say that the place is kid friendly, more of an adult restaurant. I had the surf and turf and the wife had kabobs with some amzing green beans. Rolls were awesome as well. My steak was a little bland, but in their defense they make it the way that many people like theirs- little seasoning, just meat flavor. I am a fan of marinade, so the steak was not my cup of tea. Lobster was great and our waitress was very nice to boot. We went there early (5 pm) and we would recommend the establishment. It was a little dated, but we both found this more charming than troublesome as others had written. Give it a shot!