“The round was very good, food, service, value, but there was one Bogey”
Review of Sam Snead's American Grill - CLOSED

Sam Snead's American Grill
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hillview & Osprey
Transit: SCAT (Sarasota County Area Transit) Busses stop right at our front door. Please check website for routes and times; scgov.net/scat
Description: Sam Snead’s American Grill was started with the idea that genuine friendliness and savory food along a prominent wine list would create the perfect mix of product and quality. Sam Snead’s American Grill is part of a fine family of restaurants that specialize in great food and quality service. Located in the heart of Southside village, this unique restaurant features memorabilia collected by legendary golfer Sam Snead. The casual atmosphere features the Oak Fire Grill using only locally cured oak wood. The grill creates the most unique savory flavors infused in our Steaks, Ribs, Burgers, Chicken and Chops. We proudly serve Natural Aged Angus Beef and value the daily fresh seafood and produce deliveries to preserve the high standards of our fare. When a group of local businessmen came together and dreamt up the idea of having a nostalgic atmosphere and fine American cuisine they knew it was Sam Snead’s American Grill that embodied these characteristics. When you dine with us, we believe in delivering the best service, food and experience each and every time. This is the way we celebrate, the Sam Snead’s way.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have dined at Sam Snead's several times however usually for lunch. We decided to try their dinner and treat my son who is in town. They didn't disappoint me. We were greated and seated by a lovely hostess. The waiter was knowledgable and polite. Even to listen to my gold stories. The food was VERY Good. My sword fish was prepared nicely, grilled but lacked a bit of spice that might have "carried the hole." The aged steak my son enjoyed was EXCELLENT and the Prime Rib was equally good. So, with good food, service and value, what is the down fall? For the BREAD they rate one over par. Typical Florida bread. Hard and crusty on the outside, soft and like uncooked dough in the middle. Every one has an excuse about Florida Bread, I feel either it is not cooked long enough and the oven is too hot. Any way their rating suffered because of the bread. Being from NY I like my bread with my meal. Keep up the good work SS. We will be back! Oh yes, dinner for 3 with a drinks and a tip was $180.00 The steak was worth it!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife, mother-in law, and I dined at Sam Snead's several times during our stay in Sarasota. We dine out often at home and when we travel. Snead's is very-well managed, and it shows at the front end, service end and in the kitchen. Despite high demand (the place was always full), the front end managed seating flawlessly. They managed table turnover as well as I have seen anywhere. We had a different waitperson on each visit, and they were all very well trained and knowledgeable. The menu was varied and reasonably priced. The food was always delivered hot and as described - fresh and tasteful. The furnishings and décor were higher end and attractive. And, first in our book always, Snead's is CLEAN. And, a close second. a full service bar and excellent wine list and a very fair pour with wine by the glass. Complimentary valet parking is available on most nights, but I hope everyone would give a valet a good tip! There is street parking as well and in a lot if available. John, Elva and Fran

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our third time to Sam Snead's which tells you that I previously enjoyed the experience. This time the experience itself was also very good. I had the trout and really enjoyed the wood burning flavor. Service was attentive, even on a busy, crowded evening. We went with 12 other friends to celebrate a close friend's birthday and all left feeling generally good about the experience. The person next to me got some overcooked salmon, but the server and I believe manager, apologized and rustled up a new one quickly.

The next day, one person in our party mentioned that he felt his bill was a little large and came to the conclusion that a tip was added on due to the fact that it was a party of 12. Each couple paid individually. He did call Sam Sneads and as expected, yes, there was the gratuity charged on the bill. Therefore the 20 percent on top of the gratuity the establishment added explained the smile on the face of the server.

So who's fault is it. It probably was in small print some place on the menu. All eyes overlooked it.
The server nor the manager mentioned it to those sitting at the table.

Therefore, I have to penalize Sam Snead, one stroke on this one. I think the right thing to do was to mention it as the bill was being passed out. Shame on us for not reading the fine print nor really closely watching every item on the bill. However, Sam Sneads like all places, need repeat customers and to wake up the next morning with a bad taste about the ending of a very fine evening, serves no one well.

I rationalized the fact that the server made big money from our table, as I discovered that he served our country for 10 years in the Army and fought in Afghanistan. So enjoy the bonus....you deserve it.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Dined on a Monday evening; five or six large groups of six or more which caused chaos according to a wait staff person. Service was sketchy; promised bread never arrived, lettuce past its expiration date; salad plates not cleared when entree arrived; steak not cooked to order but fish was excellent; server inattentive; pricey. Won't go back.

1  Thank Audrey S
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have been there several times for lunch over the years while vacationing in the Sarasota area and the food and service are usually pretty good. The decor is very golf, but no surprise because it's named for Sam Snead, but it's tasteful and interesting. The flat bread entrees are very good and usually someone in our party orders it. One of my New Year's resolutions was to be more adventuresome when dining out and try different things on menus that I have had in the past. Today I tried a chicken salad, pretty basic but ok. The crab cake was pretty good and the sauces were excellent. Overall it was ok.
When I write reviews I do so, with two elements in mind, food and service. As I said the food was ok. Definitely go with the flat bread chicken, very good. Service unfortunately is this restaurant's biggest problem on our visit. Took way to long, 2 hours for lunch! The server was non-existant. We ordered refills for our drinks, never saw them and the front of the house manager (I presume) stopped by to apologize for the delay and told us she was over-worked. I guess it's time for her to look for a new job with less work.
I opted to give this restaurant an average rating because the flat bread chicken really is good and worth a visit to have, but forget going here if you have less than 2 hours to eat lunch.

1  Thank Robert H