“Rude Service...Tasty Pastries” 2 of 5 bubbles

C'est La Vie
Ranked #156 of 1,026 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tampa, FL
“Rude Service...Tasty Pastries”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I was told that after my $30 pastry purchase I could not sit inside or out! 15 empty tables and well after lunch time. I believe it was the owner herself who gives the French a bad reputation. I'm taking my taste buds to Epicure from now on.

West Melbourne, United States
“Satisfying Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I were in town for business and stopped at C'est La Vie for lunch. Overall I was pleased with the food. I had a spinach and goat cheese quiche and my husband had a turkey sandwich on a baguette. My quiche was very tasty, and my husband had no complaints about the sandwich except he thought it was a bit pricey. The potatoes served on the side were just little deep fried home fries. Nothing special. Next time I think I will get the side salad as all the salads I saw while there looked delicious. Overall I would go again.

• Visited June 2014
Florida
“Fabulous Brie and salads!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

We visited this lovely bakery for lunch today. Actually, I came yesterday as well, with a friend. Both visits, I had the C'est la vie salad, which is packed with terrific meats ( none too salty) and crispy fresh greens. The flower shaped artichoke is a nice touch. This is one of the better salads I have had in Sarasota. It also has just the right amount of light homemade dressing. The Brie cheese is to die for. Make sure to order some right when you sit down, as the waitperson will bring out a basket of crusty baguette slices. The iced cappuccino is perfect for a sidewalk visit on a hot day. Our servers were prompt and polite during both visits. The gentleman who was working inside yesterday was extremely friendly. I can easily see myself working my way through the menu here. Nothing will replace Ricks Bistro, for us, for French fare, but Ricks is a dinner only spot and this lovely bakery is breakfast and lunch only. What a perfect combination! I can't wait to try more of their cheese. The goat cheese looks fabulous, so I'll start there.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pat S
Brandon, Florida
“Excellent Food and Pastries”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

My parents live in Sarasota so we visit every-time I go down which is often as I live in the Tampa area. The pastries are homemade and wonderful, they are made in the traditional French way, just enough sweetness. The breads are wonderful too. Food is excellent and made fresh. The inside is small but not overly cramped so you can have a conversation without others listening in. In late fall through early Spring you should try to sit outside as the weather is nice. Service is efficient and prompt but in traditional French manner, so expect it and you'll do fine. The food is a little pricey but well worth it.

If you are in the area stop in!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jim G
Sarasota, Florida
“Fresh pastries, Strong coffee, & a view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

The pastries alone make this the spot to visit when downtown. Don't expect welcoming servers, they do their job. That's it. Come here for the pastries, the strong coffee and a nice seat outside on Main Street. The inside is quaint but a bit tight. If you are going to feel cramped might as well sit outside among the international people visiting the area.

Visited April 2014