“great breakfast and lunch--bad iced coffee”

First Watch Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 1,079 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American, Diner, Healthy, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We often frequent first watch for great breakfasts with wonderful pots of good steaming hot coffee that we can pour several cups to enjoy.
Last week we decided to come for lunch. I had a wonderful omelet and my husband had the soup and salad which were good too.
But he made the mistake of getting the iced coffee which was new on the menu. We didn't know it was way over sweetened and had perhaps almond or hazelnut or something he hates in it.
Why can't they serve plain iced coffee that you put your own mild and sugar into a glass with ice and just coffee?

Cari T, Guest Relations Manager at First Watch Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

kippi10 - Thank you for all of your visits! We are very happy you always have a delicious breakfast or lunch when you are with us. We will pass along your comments and suggestions about our iced coffee as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Bill Carter, the owner of the condominium we rent in Sarasota, keeps us apprised of good places to eat and makes frequent recommendations before each of our visits. A breakfast person, he tipped us off to Millie's a few years ago. This year, he tipped us off to First Watch, which has two locations in the Sarasota area, one conveniently located downtown. But he recommended the First Watch located in the first strip mall south of the large Sarasota Square mall on Tamiami Trail. It is large and located on a lake. And it has a very interesting menu, not the usual breakfast fare, but very satisfying. My wife chose the Belgian waffle. I passed up the Eggs Benedict to try the hash. It wasn't the traditional and conventional corned beef hash. It was a hash of potatoes and onions and lots of tasty ingredients that I had ever seen put together before. I couldn't get enough of it. I'm not a coffee drinker but my wife said her cup was as good as she has ever had. Me? The fresh-squeezed orange juice was excellent. If you don't get fresh-squeezed orange juice in Florida--on our trip, I was given a concentrate at the Florida Welcome Center of all places--why would you go to that restaurant?

Cari T, Guest Relations Manager at First Watch Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Taylor B - We're so happy Mr. Carter sent you our way! We are thrilled your breakfast experience lived up to the high expectations he set. We hope to see you back for another delicious and filling meal soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Good service and quality food that measures up to the one in my local area. When in Sarasota for pleasure, we were looking for a quick omelet from a reliable breakfast spot. My aunt was looking for the Cracker Barrel and I’m thinking…oh GOD..help please!!! Luckily, there was a First Watch down near our hotel. I guaranteed her she’d like the food- and she was not disappointed! At home in Ohio, it is a great stand by when one is not interested in cooking breakfast..but in need of an egg white omelet to perfection, and this location provided identically tasty food and excellent service. There are lots of healthy choices, indulgent selections which include made to order waffles and pancakes and fresh fruit as a choice with any meal. Pleased as always, I was happy to add this dining selection to my aunt’s dining portfolio.

Cari T, Guest Relations Manager at First Watch Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Mimi823 - Thank you for coming in on your travels and for introducing your aunt to First Watch! Regardless of the city, we are thrilled you can always count on us for great service and a delicious breakfast. See you again soon!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I had a breakfast plate called the market hash, portions were just right, and the coffee was great. We were here on a Sunday morning, off season and seated right away. Lot of choices for breakfast here to satisfy any appetite.

Cari T, Guest Relations Manager at First Watch Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

James99946 - Thank you for starting your Sunday with us! We are very happy you had a satisfying breakfast and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

The coffee was wonderful! We did have to ask the waitress 3 times for another cup...
I ordered the Greek Fetish Omelet with Spinach, Feta Cheese, Onions, Tomatoes and Black Olives. There were about 2 pieces of Spinach in mine when I opened it up. The potatoes were not fully cooked, but edible. I tasted my husband's fruit and that was very good. Mine also came with an English Muffin.
I did use the Ladies room and the one regular stall was occupied so I did use the Handicapped stall. The paper towels were across the stall from the sink-it was a larger area. I am all about making things easier for any handicapped person. If I was in a wheelchair with wet hands scooting across the room in a wheelchair to dry my hands... I would recommend changing that.
There was coffee grounds available for purchase, but none available with just coffee beans. It really was good and we would have bought some coffee beans.

Lucky0420 - Thank you for your visit! We appreciate your feedback and will share your suggestions about our bathrooms and coffee with the team. We do hope you continue to dine with us in the future.