TripAdvisor

Sahara Cafe & Mediterranean
Ranked #34 of 86 Quick Bites in Sarasota
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed August 29, 2016

Best falafel that I've had in years! Everything was delicious and fresh. You order at the counter and then they bring food to your table. I think this may be a new favorite lunch place. They also have a small selection of Middle Eastern groceries so now I know where to buy rosewater, sumac and other items to make some of my own dishes!

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (64)

Reviewed June 2, 2016

There are plenty of options here, and something for everyone. My very favorite is the fresh feta cheese with pita. I order from the side dish menu and get a platter to please only me!

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed May 24, 2016

I was leery of taking a friend to Sahara today after reading some of the bad reviews here on Yelp, but honestly if anything it's gotten better than ever before, consistently delicious food, fast and friendly service, and low prices. My friend was impressed.

Sahara gets its pita - as good as any that you'd get in the Levant - fresh every Tuesday and Friday morning from the bakery in Tampa. Other than delivery days, you'll find it in their freezer.

Their hummus is made fresh at Sahara and is as good as any I've had in the middle east, and vastly better than any you'd get in the supermarket, even the 'all natural' hummus at Trader Joe's.

I had the shawarma platter for nine bucks and it was great, with salad and sauce and a delicious taste to the meat. My friend got the gyro platter and didn't stop raving about it.

It's wonderful to have an Arab (Palestinian, actually) restaurant so close by that is so authentic, so consistent, and still so reasonably priced. I couldn't ask for more.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed May 7, 2016 via mobile

We almost always order the same foods from a Middle Eastern restaurant: baba ganough, hummus, falafel, taboulleh, and a lamb type item. Baba and hummus were excellent, pita was terrible (tough and stale). The taboulleh was full of wilted parsley, but the flavor was good. My husband was disappointed in the lamb but liked his chicken very much. Prices were high for the quality/quantity. Overall clean, but bathroom smelled of sewer probs.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed April 20, 2016

I've been going here for years and often pick up a dish for lunch at my desk. If you want the same Mediterranean Arab food you've had in Israel or Lebanon at a very reasonable price, this is the place for you.

Date of visit: April 2016