“Excellent Service With Good Food”

Tommy Bahama Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Tommy Bahama Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 1,071 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: S. Washington Dr.
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We love this place.My wife and I stopped for an early happy hour enjoyed their reduced price appetizers and drinks and then stayed at the bar and shared a seafood platter that was great.The service from a very busy bartender and the serving lady were without any faults.Will stopped here again when we come back to the area in March.

1  Thank ChALUTCH
Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed December 7, 2013

I recently visited the Sarasota Tommy Bahamas and was very pleasantly surprised. This was my first trip to a Tommy Bahamas restaurant, and I was prepared for a lot of brand hype and mediocre food. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that the food was excellent. If you can get by the disarming oddity that most of the surrounding diners were wearing some form of Tommy Bahamas clothing, you will discover a very solid dining experience. I highly recommend the Bungalow salad which is a tasty mix of greens with a Hawaiian flare. I also really enjoyed the Thai shrimp and scallops which were perfectly prepared and very flavorful. Don't discount this place because it is part of a mega-brand. It rightly deserves its own place as a great dining destination.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

This was our return trip after a long wait, but otherwise good experience about a year ago. No wait last night (Thursday) but would definitely recommend reservations. Our server, James, was stellar. Observant about drink refills, replacing used silverware, etc. Made suggestions on new menu items. Overall very attentive and experienced. The menu is a bit on the pricier side, but the food is well worth it. Three of us shared a nut crusted goat cheese app with mango salsa and coconut shrimp. Both were delicious. Two of us had the filet steak, which was perfectly seasoned and cooked perfectly. The cauliflower mash was awesome. Also came with broccolini, but my husband substituted asparagus. Our son had the jerk pork tenderloin with sweet potato mofongo, which he said was delicious as well. He also had a side of plantain chips, thin lengthwise slices of plantain, fried crisp and seasoned with cinnamon and cumin, maybe a bit of sugar. They came with a corn and black bean salsa. Fantastic! Tai, the manager, is a gracious host. Clearly a well-run restaurant. Will be back sooner!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We went on a Saturday so the pianist was playing (so loundly you couldn't hear anyone talking)
The lighting is low (so low it's impossible to read the menu). Although it's warm outside inside it's freezing (so much so I had to borrow a friends jacket)
So far not a good start. We ordered coconut shrip and scallop sliders the shrimp was good the sliders OK. Before we had finished the entrees arrived we told the server we weren't ready for them. As soon as we had finished the appetisers guess what they showed up again!
By now we're getting pretty fed up. We asked the waitress to ensure we had a gap between courses and she assured us the food would not just sit under heat lamps (as it had obviously done while we had our first course!) She said it would be cooked from scratch!
This is an expensive restaurant not a fast food joint! We have eaten here many times over the years and had good food and service, in fact last year I had the best seafood of our vacation there and wrote about it.
It was a very expensive evening and although the snapper was tasty by then the evening had been ruined.
Would I go back having visited every year for many years - I doubt it.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

While strolling through St Armand's Circle, we stopped here for dinner, a party of 6. Excellent menu with a fantastic selection to choose from appetizers, entree and dessert. The coconut shrimp and plantains were the best! A great place to stop in for a meal or to grab some appetizers and drinks. A little on the pricey side but worth it if you are wanting to treat yourself.